Starter straight razor?

Where did you get that man purse?
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Starter straight razor?

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:11 pm

I think I might give it a try. Anyone recommend a cheap starter straight razor?

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Re: Starter straight razor?

Post by Erratic101 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:21 pm

I used a straight razor for a bit. It’s tough to get a hang of and takes time. I ended up using a safety razor. And I love it. It’s a merkur, I bought a pack of 100 Feather blades for about $20 on Amazon. The standard 3,5,12 blade razors are just a huge waste of money.

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 pm

Oh, the straight razor I used was a middle of the road Parker. It was ok, but maybe just a hair too light for me. It actually used safety razor blades. You would snap one in half and insert it. So it was not a one piece straight razor. Maybe I should’ve tried that.

watches503
Name: Luis

Post by watches503 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:53 pm

What’s the allure of this old school way of shaving ? I’d be scared to cut myself all the time.

I shave my whole head two times a week and Schlick Quattro is the smoothest blade ever. I buy 24 packs and that lasts me about 2 years.

DoctorC
Name: Greg

Post by DoctorC » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:04 pm

If you have a good barber or stylist that uses a straight razor, ask them for some tips.
There are videos on YouTube showing proper technique.
I usually shave in the shower in the morning half asleep so I won't try a straight razor yet....
The amazing woman that cuts my hair always does a hot foam straight razor shave on the back of my neck.
She offered to teach me if I ever want to learn to do the front.
She also told me she had had clients try it on their own,with less than stellar results.
Greg

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:08 pm

watches503 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:53 pm
What’s the allure of this old school way of shaving ? I’d be scared to cut myself all the time.

I shave my whole head two times a week and Schlick Quattro is the smoothest blade ever. I buy 24 packs and that lasts me about 2 years.
Honestly it is the same as when you first starting shaving as a young adult. You have to figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

For me personally I get a better shave than I did with the Mach 5. The Mach 5 use to also cut me on my lip since there are so many blades you can line them up as easy to the contours on your face.

I think the guys here got me to change to a safety razor years ago and I totally will not go back.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:10 pm

DoctorC wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:04 pm
If you have a good barber or stylist that uses a straight razor, ask them for some tips.
There are videos on YouTube showing proper technique.
I usually shave in the shower in the morning half asleep so I won't try a straight razor yet....
The amazing woman that cuts my hair always does a hot foam straight razor shave on the back of my neck.
She offered to teach me if I ever want to learn to do the front.
She also told me she had had clients try it on their own,with less than stellar results.
Greg when I was in Iraq I had a Turkish barber that would trim up my beard and neck. That guy was amazing. And the feeling of a good clean shave was amazing. So I completely understand.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:22 pm

watches503 wrote:

Takes a tad bit more skill, but honestly the shave is better and the whole 5-6-7 blade one-upsmanship is just a racket to get you to pay a fortune for blades. Gillette used to make the old school razors and blades and came out with the disposables and then multiblades mostly because of marketing and the fact that they made a lot more selling a 1$ cartridge than a 5 cent blade given that the safety razors last a lifetime.

I also like the buy it for life concept. My EJ safety razor and badger blade will last me the rest of my life. A $20 box of feather blades will last me years. I have a couple of hard soaps that last forever. I also enjoy the experience/ritual more with these "tools". Environmental thought of all of those plastic disposable cartridges and razors in land fills also makes me cringe.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:37 pm

I use a safety razor.

Having tried a straight razor, I now understand why all the guys in the 1800s had beards.
Last edited by JBZ on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Safetystop
Diving (muff) is not a team sport.
Name: Dr. Eaton Beaver

Post by Safetystop » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:39 pm

First off, don't get a "cheap" blade. You'll have nothing but problems honing and stropping the edge.
Dovo and Thiers are both the only blades in my collection. Just remember to get them "shave ready". And no, they don't come from the factory that way. Add to that a QUALITY strop and you're set. Hit me up if you need recos. I graduated from safety to straights and haven't looked back for at least a decade.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:01 pm

Safetystop wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:39 pm
First off, don't get a "cheap" blade. You'll have nothing but problems honing and stropping the edge.
Dovo and Thiers are both the only blades in my collection. Just remember to get them "shave ready". And no, they don't come from the factory that way. Add to that a QUALITY strop and you're set. Hit me up if you need recos. I graduated from safety to straights and haven't looked back for at least a decade.
dave thanks again bro for the info. I will ping you about some shit if I decide to go this route. i am still loving the merkur futra so i might not change.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Starter straight razor?

Post by hoppyjr » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:20 am

toxicavenger wrote:I think I might give it a try. Anyone recommend a cheap starter straight razor?
Dude, it’s called a “straight razor” because it’s a single blade. It doesn’t have magic powers.

ImageImage

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:26 am

Erratic101 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:21 pm
I used a straight razor for a bit. It’s tough to get a hang of and takes time. I ended up using a safety razor. And I love it. It’s a merkur, I bought a pack of 100 Feather blades for about $20 on Amazon. The standard 3,5,12 blade razors are just a huge waste of money.
That’s where I am. Merkur Futur with Feather blades and Sampson’s shave soap. That’s as close to a straight as I want to get. The Merkur/Feather setup rewards care and a light touch. Rush it or use pressure and it’ll cut me just enough to make sure I don’t want to try a straight.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:15 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:20 am
toxicavenger wrote:I think I might give it a try. Anyone recommend a cheap starter straight razor?
Dude, it’s called a “straight razor” because it’s a single blade. It doesn’t have magic powers.

ImageImage
don't get my low T's riled up!
Henryj wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:26 am
Erratic101 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:21 pm
That’s where I am. Merkur Futur with Feather blades and Sampson’s shave soap. That’s as close to a straight as I want to get. The Merkur/Feather setup rewards care and a light touch. Rush it or use pressure and it’ll cut me just enough to make sure I don’t want to try a straight.
Henry I have the same one I got it from Dave (safetystop) here on the forum. I love the adjust-ability of it.

Safetystop
Diving (muff) is not a team sport.
Name: Dr. Eaton Beaver

Post by Safetystop » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:52 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:01 pm
Safetystop wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:39 pm
dave thanks again bro for the info. I will ping you about some shit if I decide to go this route. i am still loving the merkur futra so i might not change.
No worries.
Just as a heads up... the jump in shave quality you saw from the commercial products to the Merkur, you'll see when you go from a safety razor to a straight. It's that much of a difference when you get things (your technique) dialed in.

watches503

Post by watches503 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:11 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
watches503 wrote:

Honestly it is the same as when you first starting shaving as a young adult. You have to figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

For me personally I get a better shave than I did with the Mach 5. The Mach 5 use to also cut me on my lip since there are so many blades you can line them up as easy to the contours on your face.

I think the guys here got me to change to a safety razor years ago and I totally will not go back.

Thank you for your feedback. Very interesting. Better shave than Mach 5 says a lot.

watches503

Post by watches503 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:17 pm

dnslater wrote:
watches503 wrote:

Takes a tad bit more skill, but honestly the shave is better and the whole 5-6-7 blade one-upsmanship is just a racket to get you to pay a fortune for blades. Gillette used to make the old school razors and blades and came out with the disposables and then multiblades mostly because of marketing and the fact that they made a lot more selling a 1$ cartridge than a 5 cent blade given that the safety razors last a lifetime.

I also like the buy it for life concept. My EJ safety razor and badger blade will last me the rest of my life. A $20 box of feather blades will last me years. I have a couple of hard soaps that last forever. I also enjoy the experience/ritual more with these "tools". Environmental thought of all of those plastic disposable cartridges and razors in land fills also makes me cringe.
Thanks for the great perspective. I gotta admit I’m intrigued now.

I also like the “hard soaps” comment. I don’t do body wash so are these bars you buy online or where? They aren’t oily are they ?

I recently found my favorite bar soap and it’s from Old Spice, surprisingly. They do not last more than 5-6 showers.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:33 am

A couple more thoughts on straight razors. It might be my Aspergers or just getting older, but I do appreciate routines that have a little bit of ritual and detail built into them. I find the sequence of steps involved in mug/brush/soap/ safety razor somewhat centering in the mornings. That said, what really keeps me away from a straight razor is that four mornings a week, I’m doing this around 4:30 A.M.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

DrWapenshaw
Name: J

Post by DrWapenshaw » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:42 am

I am on the road and just tried this as it arrived literally while I was leaving.

Its amusing. I thought I was doing fine unntil it was all over. Then I noticed the blood seeping out all over my face!

I had always used electric razors until 10 years ago, never felt they were close enough (always bought high end). So I started using disposble razors). Now this was my first time trying a straight razor on myself. It was fun with a good laugh at the bloody end.
Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:44 am

watches503 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:17 pm
I also like the “hard soaps” comment. I don’t do body wash so are these bars you buy online or where? They aren’t oily are they ?

I recently found my favorite bar soap and it’s from Old Spice, surprisingly. They do not last more than 5-6 showers.
Was talking about hard shaving soaps.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:18 pm

DrWapenshaw wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:42 am
I am on the road and just tried this as it arrived literally while I was leaving.

Its amusing. I thought I was doing fine unntil it was all over. Then I noticed the blood seeping out all over my face!

I had always used electric razors until 10 years ago, never felt they were close enough (always bought high end). So I started using disposble razors). Now this was my first time trying a straight razor on myself. It was fun with a good laugh at the bloody end.
Damn were you trying to kill yourself?

I would go to a safety razor first before that beast. Hell I don't even know if they give a good shave or not with that type of setup? :shrug:

DrWapenshaw
Name: J

Post by DrWapenshaw » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:54 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:18 pm
DrWapenshaw wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:42 am

Damn were you trying to kill yourself?

I would go to a safety razor first before that beast. Hell I don't even know if they give a good shave or not with that type of setup? :shrug:
It was....
Too much.

I am now back home and got to use the Dorco disposable 3 blade and it was smoother than the Gillette I was using previously so that is a nice plus from all of this.

Now I just need to find a nice after shave GEL replacement.
Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?