TAD Triple Aught Designs

Where did you get that man purse?
FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

TAD Triple Aught Designs

Post by FlyPenFly » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:27 pm

Some cool shit made in the USA by veterans and fabrics sourced from US companies. Not all but most.

https://tripleaughtdesign.com

Liking their Tracer jacket a lot, might get one if I didn’t have about a dozen mid layers already.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Re: TAD Triple Aught Designs

Post by JDC222 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:45 pm

Shagmaster!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:19 pm

Enough already. If I don’t use it Dave I’ll send it to you.

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:49 am

I have pair of their Spartan pants. Great product.
Regards

Steve

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:53 am

Grahamcombat wrote:Enough already. If I don’t use it Dave I’ll send it to you.

I don’t need your stinkin’ Shagmaster and I don’t want your stinkin’ Shagmaster!

But, ok.
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:03 am

FlyPenFly wrote:Some cool shit made in the USA by veterans and fabrics sourced from US companies. Not all but most.

Liking their Tracer jacket a lot, might get one if I didn’t have about a dozen mid layers already.
I think TAD is primarily geared toward silicone valley keyboard commandos v actually users. Their products are mostly good quality from what I've seen, but the prices are steep and their inventory is so limited that most items sell out fast, driving an absurd secondary market.
I've still got a fast pack litespeed, Tibolt pen and skeleton key, but I think I'm going to sell them soon. They're selling for 2-3 times what I paid and I rarely use any of them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FlyPenFly

Post by FlyPenFly » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:18 am

I one hundred percent agree it’s for Keyboard Special Forces... addresses the same market that Bremont or JLC seal divers do. At least though they’re all made here.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:52 am

FlyPenFly wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:18 am
At least though they’re all made here.
Do you ever know what you're talking about? You are so authoritative and almost always wrong.
https://tripleaughtdesign.com/shop/journeyman-sweater/
china.JPG
Sorry to be harsh, but that was the first TAD thing I looked at picked at random. I remember Darrin ripping your ass about firearms. Those were the days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FlyPenFly

Post by FlyPenFly » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:06 am

Lol nope, I was tricked, from their About Page, it seemed like they were all made here and they sometimes sourced fabric out. On the mobile site, doesn’t seem to indicate made in China, but it seems like they do advertise made in USA, didn’t do an exhaustive run through of all their offerings.

Almost always wrong? Lol, are you sure you’re not my wife?!

No need for forum drama tho, hope you have a good one. :bananastoner:

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:40 am

streetracer101 wrote:
FlyPenFly wrote:Some cool shit made in the USA by veterans and fabrics sourced from US companies. Not all but most.

I think TAD is primarily geared toward silicone valley keyboard commandos v actually users. Their products are mostly good quality from what I've seen, but the prices are steep and their inventory is so limited that most items sell out fast, driving an absurd secondary market.
I've still got a fast pack litespeed, Tibolt pen and skeleton key, but I think I'm going to sell them soon. They're selling for 2-3 times what I paid and I rarely use any of them.

Except for the Shagmaster, the Shagmaster rules! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Winston Churchill.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:41 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:52 am
FlyPenFly wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:18 am
At least though they’re all made here.
Do you ever know what you're talking about? You are so authoritative and almost always wrong.
https://tripleaughtdesign.com/shop/journeyman-sweater/
china.JPG

Sorry to be harsh, but that was the first TAD thing I looked at picked at random. I remember Darrin ripping your ass about firearms. Those were the days.
Most of their gear is manufactured in the US. All of the items I've purchased from them were. That was one of my main draws to the brand, but I got tired of trying to time their sales on Friday afternoons and stopped looking altogether.

If you want a funny read/view, watch one of their way point videos. They feature guys with $5k worth of gear on in fully outfitted Range Rovers braving the "elements" of light rain and wind. After watching one of those videos, I lost all interest in the brand.

If you're local, you might want to check out one of the warehouse sales. I imagine they are filled with toolbag commandos and eBay re-sellers, but you can probably score a fair deal on some well made gear. Just try to avoid the stuff with their logos smeared all over it.

FlyPenFly

Post by FlyPenFly » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:55 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:41 am

If you want a funny read/view, watch one of their way point videos. They feature guys with $5k worth of gear on in fully outfitted Range Rovers braving the "elements" of light rain and wind. After watching one of those videos, I lost all interest in the brand.
Lol, that's pretty cringeworthy .

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:04 am

JDC222 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:40 am
streetracer101 wrote:

Except for the Shagmaster, the Shagmaster rules! :)

That's basically a "tactical" version of the Patagonia R3 or Mountain Hardware Monkeyman. I love my R3 and so do the ladies. They're always rubbing up on it because it is so soft.

I'm gonna try to make a trip to Leadville next month to check out Melanzana's shop. They cut and sew a similar version of these in CO and they're only $100. Shows how much these companies mark their stuff up.
http://melanzana.com/catalog/product_in ... ucts_id/68

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:05 pm

^^^ Rob's got it.

TAD stuff looks pretty cool, but I can't see them being any better than any of the various other outdoor options made with the exact same materials (but without the tactical aspect). Could be wrong though, I've never had any of their stuff. I guess if I was an "operator" I'd rock it on my my high-speed, low-drag missions along with my Striders.
- Todd

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:15 pm

Chocodove wrote:^^^ Rob's got it.

TAD stuff looks pretty cool, but I can't see them being any better than any of the various other outdoor options made with the exact same materials (but without the tactical aspect). Could be wrong though, I've never had any of their stuff. I guess if I was an "operator" I'd rock it on my my high-speed, low-drag missions along with my Striders.
I doubt many operators use their stuff. They don't have the time or patience to camp around a computer and wait for Sale to drop.
I think most use LEAF or something equivalent.

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:27 pm

You guys know me: the only thing I can operate is a guitar. That said, the shagmaster is just the mermaid’s tits. I’m wearing mine now, because when Lady K and I are done operating our hemp lattes and breakfast croissants, we are going to hike around lake Cd’A and it’s just grey and damp as fuck.

In fact, it’s drizzly enough that I added a merino base layer that I got from those guys, too. :thumbsup:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:17 pm

They had a TAD MKII watch back in the day that went for crazy money. They also just opened up a Boulder location if I recall. The og owner Patrick Ma left and started Prometheus Design Werx

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:39 pm

toxicavenger wrote:They had a TAD MKII watch back in the day that went for crazy money. They also just opened up a Boulder location if I recall. The og owner Patrick Ma left and started Prometheus Design Werx

Did it go for crazy money?

I had one came with an actual TAD gear receipt. I did not know TAD sold MKII. I also had a TAD Marathon navigator.

I bought it around $600-700 used- awesome watches at the time and I believe that was when MKII was in its prime and didn’t rip people off... could be wrong.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

TAD Triple Aught Designs

Post by BBK357 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:42 pm

My wife bought me a TAD jacket when they had some sort of sale last year. When she looked at her receipt she saw the sale price did not go through- so she had me call them. Even though she ordered at the time of sale- they would not honor it. I was very surprised and I sent the jacket back as soon as it arrived. That made me not want to deal with them again.

DEATH FROM ABOVE

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:59 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:39 pm
toxicavenger wrote:They had a TAD MKII watch back in the day that went for crazy money. They also just opened up a Boulder location if I recall. The og owner Patrick Ma left and started Prometheus Design Werx

I had one came with an actual TAD gear receipt. I did not know TAD sold MKII. I also had a TAD Marathon navigator.

I bought it around $600-700 used- awesome watches at the time and I believe that was when MKII was in its prime and didn’t rip people off... could be wrong.

I don't know how much it sold for. http://forums.watchuseek.com/f325/evolu ... 88583.html

BBK357
Ban Jacobs

Post by BBK357 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:12 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

I don't know how much it sold for. http://forums.watchuseek.com/f325/evolu ... 88583.html
That’s odd- mine was not an skx... and it didn’t have the TAD logo. Maybe they just got a handful of black waters to sell back in the day?

DEATH FROM ABOVE

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:21 pm

BBK357 wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:12 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
BBK357 wrote:

That’s odd- mine was not an skx... and it didn’t have the TAD logo. Maybe they just got a handful of black waters to sell back in the day?

Probably

Sniper13
Name: Justin

Post by Sniper13 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:11 pm

I've had/ or have some of their gear. I have some spartan RS pants that are among my favorite. I've worn them for everything from range to casual events and they've held up great. I've had a couple jackets. I've sold off most of them to pick up LEAF hard shell, but I have a SSS that is expensive, but I've worn the shit out of. I wore it on almost all of my cold weather call outs/ training and ops. I've also worn the Shagmaster in the same manor. I'm quite happy with their stuff that I still own.

I won't argue with the limited runs of stuff, but I'm pretty sure they aren't the only company doing that. They do make a good portion of their product in the US. As for advertising, yeah they have some dumb shit, but again they aren't alone.

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

TAD Triple Aught Designs

Post by hidden by leaves » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:44 pm

How's the shag master fit? Does the sizing run small or large? Wrote TAD with some Q's including this but haven't heard back...

Send lawyers, guns and money...

JDC222

Post by JDC222 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:45 pm

hidden by leaves wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:44 pm
How's the shag master fit? Does the sizing run small or large? Wrote TAD with this some Q's including this but haven't heard back...

Message Matt G... :thumbsup:
Winston Churchill.