Down jacket ideas

Where did you get that man purse?
Captdave
Name: Dave

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by Captdave » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 pm

I’m currently using a patagucci down sweater under a TNF apex flex goretex shell. It’s a good combo and I’m very I’m very impressed with the apex flex jacket! It’s perfect for rain and wind...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

ItnStln

Post by ItnStln » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:37 am

Captdave wrote:I’m currently using a patagucci down sweater under a TNF apex flex goretex shell. It’s a good combo and I’m very I’m very impressed with the apex flex jacket! It’s perfect for rain and wind...

Can you post a link to your North Face shell?

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:22 am

It looks like mytrail dropped their sale prices further. It's a damn good price for the jackets, but I wonder if this is an indication that the business isn't doing so hot.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:45 am

ItnStln wrote:
Captdave wrote:I’m currently using a patagucci down sweater under a TNF apex flex goretex shell. It’s a good combo and I’m very I’m very impressed with the apex flex jacket! It’s perfect for rain and wind...

Can you post a link to your North Face shell?[/https://www.rei.com/product/112410/the- ... acket-mens

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:48 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:22 am
It looks like mytrail dropped their sale prices further. It's a damn good price for the jackets, but I wonder if this is an indication that the business isn't doing so hot.

Season close out I bet

cdnwatchguy
Name: Keith

Post by cdnwatchguy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:05 pm

I live where it gets a bit chilly. Nothing truly keeps a person warm.

cheers,

Keith

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:14 pm

I'm fairly warm in -5F weather. Waiting for the bus sucks because I'm stationary, but moving around is fine.

I wear a cheap thermal base layer, normal clothes over it, a patagonia nano puff mid layer, and a patagonia fully baffled down parka. I wear light running gloves, a normal looking beanie, and shearling LL Bean duck boots.

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:25 pm

cdnwatchguy wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:05 pm
I live where it gets a bit chilly. Nothing truly keeps a person warm.
I guess engine block heaters are standard equipment. Are folks able to plug in while they're at work?

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:31 am

Just ordered a MyTrailCo down jacket for my wife. I bought her the 800 fill down ultralight jacket for $99 which seems like a good price (and a low risk if the jacket doesn't live up to expectations).

I wear a Patagonia down jacket as my daily coat. If there is any interest, I'll post some side by side comparisons of the two jackets. As an aside, the Patagonia cost about 2 X the cost of the MyTrailCo, so it'll be interesting to see if there are any obvious differences.

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Post by FlyPenFly » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:13 pm

Hard to beat Uniqlo $60 down jackets using 600 fill real down. They are the BARGAIN leader.

Otherwise I would look at Campsaver, Sunnysports, or Steepandcheap for some end of season deals.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:38 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:31 am
Just ordered a MyTrailCo down jacket for my wife. I bought her the 800 fill down ultralight jacket for $99 which seems like a good price (and a low risk if the jacket doesn't live up to expectations).

I wear a Patagonia down jacket as my daily coat. If there is any interest, I'll post some side by side comparisons of the two jackets. As an aside, the Patagonia cost about 2 X the cost of the MyTrailCo, so it'll be interesting to see if there are any obvious differences.
Let me know what you think, I still haven't pulled the trigger yet. :banghead:

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:02 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:38 pm
Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:31 am

Let me know what you think, I still haven't pulled the trigger yet. :banghead:
Will do. Tracking says it'll be delivered tomorrow afternoon.

I'll post a comparison here.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:02 am

FlyPenFly wrote:Hard to beat Uniqlo $60 down jackets using 600 fill real down. They are the BARGAIN leader.

Otherwise I would look at Campsaver, Sunnysports, or Steepandcheap for some end of season deals.
This thread just indirectly caused me to buy a new Mystery Ranch pack and Patagonia vest from Campsaver. I've never ordered from them, so it's good to see a positive endorsement.

FlyPenFly
Name: Off, Jerk

Post by FlyPenFly » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:35 am

streetracer101 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:02 am
FlyPenFly wrote:Hard to beat Uniqlo $60 down jackets using 600 fill real down. They are the BARGAIN leader.

This thread just indirectly caused me to buy a new Mystery Ranch pack and Patagonia vest from Campsaver. I've never ordered from them, so it's good to see a positive endorsement.

Really easy returns as well.

If you review one of their products, they'll give you a 7% discount code for your next order.

Ryeguy

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:10 pm

The MyTrailCo 800 fill down jacket I purchased for my wife came today and my initial impressions are positive.

This is the ethically sourced woman’s down jacket on sale for $100 less another 10% for signing up for their newsletter.

Things I look for are zipper quality and these seem good. Not as burly as my Patagonia, but functional.
I like the wind flap MTC used and the heavy weight nylon backing. My Patagonia doesn’t have this and my LL Bean ski coat doesn’t have the heavy weight backing, meaning the wind flap gets stuck in the zipper. Points to MTC on this.

The MTC offers two inside pockets versus the Patagonia’s single pocket.

The lower right hand inside pocket is very large. It’ll hold a cell phone no problem.

The seams are all double sewn.

Stitching all looks good. The cuff construction looks the same as my Patagonia.

One nice detail on the MTC jacket is the outside pockets are fleece lined as opposed to the Patagonia’s plain nylon lining. The MTC pockets are also more “hidden” versus the Patagonia’s being more in your face. I’m guessing the Patagonia’s zipper color is the style highlight.

We’ll see how my wife likes it when she comes home later today, but from a value perspective, I think it compares pretty well to the Patagonia for 50% the price.

That said, the Patagonia is a year old and still looks good with no loose down feathers. The real test of the MTC will be how it holds up over a similar period of time.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:50 pm

I have a Marmot Alchemist for skiing. Great jacket.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:10 pm
The MyTrailCo 800 fill down jacket I purchased for my wife came today and my initial impressions are positive.

We’ll see how my wife likes it when she comes home later today, but from a value perspective, I think it compares pretty well to the Patagonia for 50% the price.

That said, the Patagonia is a year old and still looks good with no loose down feathers. The real test of the MTC will be how it holds up over a similar period of time.
Thanks for the info Chris!

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:12 pm

FlyPenFly wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:35 am
streetracer101 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:02 am

Really easy returns as well.

If you review one of their products, they'll give you a 7% discount code for your next order.
I am very impressed with Campsaver. The pack that I ordered (from the outlet) was listed as in stock, but yesterday they emailed me saying it was backordered for 2-3 weeks. I asked if I could get a different, in stock color that wasn't on sale and they allowed me to sub it out for the sale price. I've dealt with other companies in a similar situation and they just cancel the order and say tough luck. Solid CS thus far.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:45 pm

Campsaver is solid. Backcountry is my favorite, not only due to CS but they also give a decent discount on literally anything to Alpine Club members.
- Todd

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Back in the day Campmore was my go too. I don't know if they still have great prices though.

ItnStln

Post by ItnStln » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:58 pm

Captdave wrote:
ItnStln wrote:

Can you post a link to your North Face shell?[/https://www.rei.com/product/112410/the- ... acket-mens

Thanks!

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:00 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:18 pm
Back in the day Campmore was my go too. I don't know if they still have great prices though.
They do and offer decent discounts throughout the year. The majority of their business had been catalog business and is now web based.

I actually live between their store and their warehouse, both are about 5 minutes away.
I’ve had numerous friends work there over the years.
Unfortunately, they have all moved on to new jobs, so no more employee discount. :crybaby:

Fun fact, their warehouse is around the corner from Coserv.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:15 pm

fastward wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:00 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
They do and offer decent discounts throughout the year. The majority of their business had been catalog business and is now web based.

I actually live between their store and their warehouse, both are about 5 minutes away.
Unfortunately, they have all moved on to new jobs, so no more employee discount. :crybaby:

I use to love their black/white catalog with hand drawn pics.

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:01 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:15 pm
fastward wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

That was awesome. 👍

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:11 pm

fastward wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:15 pm
fastward wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

That was awesome. Image
You’re up in Mahwah? I fucking hate route 17. So much. The shoulders, or lack thereof, are crazy. It’s got its own set of rules.
- Todd