Down jacket ideas

Where did you get that man purse?
User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 41546
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Down jacket ideas

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:07 pm

A few years back one of our local Colorado companies who made outdoor gear called Go-Lite closed up. Which sucked because they carried good gear at a great price. They just started a new company called My Trail Co. The name is not my favorite by any means. But for the price I might have to check them. https://mytrailco.com/

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 5461
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:27 am

Those prices aren’t bad at all for 850 fill. I’d be concerned with the shell for the rough stuff. 10D is going to need a lot of patches eventually. Probably great for around town, though.
- Todd

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15007
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:43 am

They use some form of ethically sourced down - kudos to them for that. That's a dividing line between a brand I might buy and one I absolutely wouldn't. Assuming that the standard is worth anything, these are by far the cheapest ethically sourced down jackets I've ever seen.

Too bad they don't have anything fully baffled and suitable for the serious cold. I want one of these
Image

But they're $900 and they screwed up the shoulder construction creating a cold spot. :cussing:

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 5461
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 am

^^^^ For that kind of money you are better off with Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. Made in the USA and they are down specialists. There is no better down product on the market IMO.
- Todd

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15007
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:01 am

Chocodove wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 am
^^^^ For that kind of money you are better off with Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. Made in the USA and they are down specialists. There is no better down product on the market IMO.
As far as I know, neither of them guarantee that their down isn't live-plucked. That's a deal breaker for me.

On edit: FF is now using the RDS standard. It looks like more brands are getting on board with that. When I first looked it was Patagonia and... nobody.

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15007
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:08 am

Maybe I try one of these next time:
Image

They have jumped on the ethical down bandwaggon too.

User avatar
fastward
Fast Eddie
Posts: 11234
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by fastward » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:15 am

North Face has also followed the RDS for a few years.

Feathered Friends is also on the list.

https://responsibledown.org/find-respon ... -standard/

User avatar
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Posts: 14211
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:30 pm
Name: Dave
Location: Canada

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by JDC222 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:18 am

JP Chestnut wrote:Maybe I try one of these next time:
Image

They have jumped on the ethical down bandwaggon too.
$1400 Cdn, which is only like $65 Usd...lol.
Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everybody that you meet.

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15007
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:31 am

JDC222 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:18 am
JP Chestnut wrote:Maybe I try one of these next time:
Image

They have jumped on the ethical down bandwaggon too.
$1400 Cdn, which is only like $65 Usd...lol.

It's about a grand in USD, not on sale. The upside of this one is that you could conceivably wear it over normal clothes, rather than something like this
Image

User avatar
BlueSky
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:47 pm
Name: David

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by BlueSky » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:45 am

I've had this one in navy for years. 700 fill RDS. Love it...

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens- ... tionId=KX7

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 5461
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:45 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:01 am
Chocodove wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 am
^^^^ For that kind of money you are better off with Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends. Made in the USA and they are down specialists. There is no better down product on the market IMO.
As far as I know, neither of them guarantee that their down isn't live-plucked. That's a deal breaker for me.

On edit: FF is now using the RDS standard. It looks like more brands are getting on board with that. When I first looked it was Patagonia and... nobody.
Western also claims they do not use live-plucked down.

But yeah, the other thing with both of them is they certainly follow function over form. Not an issue in the mountains, but walking down the street...yes :).
- Todd

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14560
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:09 am

I got Canada Goose on sale at Nordstrom's couple of years ago. Real Coyote trim and super warm.
I survived -30-35C in Eastern Europe in that coat

User avatar
Henryj
Bubblehead
Posts: 3598
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:17 pm
Name: Abu Shanab
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE and Rossford, Oh. (Depends on the weather)

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by Henryj » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:04 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:08 am
Maybe I try one of these next time:
Image

They have jumped on the ethical down bandwaggon too.
And the jacket ain’t bad, either.
If someone tells you "Anal leakage sounds like fun", have him list a watch for sale on WUS.

User avatar
TLgdeL
Posts: 2929
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:32 pm
Name: Gee Deez
Location: MD

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by TLgdeL » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 am

Feathered Friends Eos is my next down. I don't think I need an expedition weight down here in DC lol.. I've got a non-technical Arcteryx that is shedding like crazy which is putting me off from buying the Cerium LT.

Cotopaxi also entered the down game recently. They have b-corp certification like Patagonia which makes me feel better about buying from them.
Image Image

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14560
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:04 am

Feathered Friends is nice but it seems like all of their coats are puffy looking ones and barely cover the butt.
Canada Goose is my preference YMMV

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15007
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:11 am

Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:04 am
Feathered Friends is nice but it seems like all of their coats are puffy looking ones and barely cover the butt.
Canada Goose is my preference YMMV
Surprisingly few of these jackets cover anything between your butt and knee. I guess when you're all suited up for serious shit you don't need the extra jacket cover. :shrug:

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 5461
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:17 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:11 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:04 am
Feathered Friends is nice but it seems like all of their coats are puffy looking ones and barely cover the butt.
Canada Goose is my preference YMMV
Surprisingly few of these jackets cover anything between your butt and knee. I guess when you're all suited up for serious shit you don't need the extra jacket cover. :shrug:
They are designed to be worn while wearing a climbing harness. You could probably wear other types of harnesses as well, but Terry might be able to comment on that a bit better :gayumbrella:
- Todd

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15007
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:20 am

Chocodove wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:17 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:11 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:04 am
Feathered Friends is nice but it seems like all of their coats are puffy looking ones and barely cover the butt.
Canada Goose is my preference YMMV
Surprisingly few of these jackets cover anything between your butt and knee. I guess when you're all suited up for serious shit you don't need the extra jacket cover. :shrug:
They are designed to be worn while wearing a climbing harness. You could probably wear other types of harnesses as well, but Terry might be able to comment on that a bit better :gayumbrella:
Some of them are, but not a bivy jacket - as far as I know.

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14560
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:24 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:11 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:04 am
Feathered Friends is nice but it seems like all of their coats are puffy looking ones and barely cover the butt.
Canada Goose is my preference YMMV
Surprisingly few of these jackets cover anything between your butt and knee. I guess when you're all suited up for serious shit you don't need the extra jacket cover. :shrug:

I like my winter coat to cover enough that I don't have a suit sticking out lower than the jacket. Coat vs Bomber type I guess is what I'm trying to say :thumbsup:

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 5461
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by Chocodove » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:30 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:20 am
Chocodove wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:17 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:11 am
Panerai7 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:04 am
Feathered Friends is nice but it seems like all of their coats are puffy looking ones and barely cover the butt.
Canada Goose is my preference YMMV
Surprisingly few of these jackets cover anything between your butt and knee. I guess when you're all suited up for serious shit you don't need the extra jacket cover. :shrug:
They are designed to be worn while wearing a climbing harness. You could probably wear other types of harnesses as well, but Terry might be able to comment on that a bit better :gayumbrella:
Some of them are, but not a bivy jacket - as far as I know.
Belay jacket and bivy jacket are pretty much interchangeable. If you are actually bivying in the traditional sense wearing only a jacket you are A: probably fucked and B: clipped into something so you don't fall off the mountain/cliff/ledge as you nod off hoping to not freeze to death.

Then there is what is usually called "expedition length", which are typically heavier fill and look like michelin man parkas. They'll have two way zippers so you can unzip the bottom to access your belay device, tie in, etc.

I used to work in the outdoor industry and can talk for days about this if anyone is actually interested :lol:
- Todd

User avatar
DrWapenshaw
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:08 am
Name: J
Location: South East USA

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by DrWapenshaw » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:34 am

Image

I am wearing a Canada Goose white duck down right now.
Keeps me very warm although it does not get all that cold here.
I am told, these work very well in colder climates.
Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14560
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by Panerai7 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:36 am

I'm as much of a climber as a diver so that's all over my head but I don't wanna freeze my balls so :lol:

I'm just trying to avoid this look and Canada Goose helps

Image

User avatar
DoctorC
Posts: 1620
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:31 am
Name: Greg
Location: when you find out, tell me

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by DoctorC » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:11 am

So, educate a noob to the puffy jacket.. ( I tend to wear thinner multiple layers to be able to adapt to the rapidly changing Colorado weather).
What is this 850, 700 etc fill?
Greg

User avatar
JP Chestnut
Posts: 15007
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 10:40 am
Name: Jacob
Location: Ann Arbor, MI USA

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:23 am

DoctorC wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:11 am
So, educate a noob to the puffy jacket.. ( I tend to wear thinner multiple layers to be able to adapt to the rapidly changing Colorado weather).
What is this 850, 700 etc fill?
Image

These all weigh the same. Higher number holds more air and hence keeps you warmer.

User avatar
fastward
Fast Eddie
Posts: 11234
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Down jacket ideas

Post by fastward » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:27 am

DoctorC wrote:So, educate a noob to the puffy jacket.. ( I tend to wear thinner multiple layers to be able to adapt to the rapidly changing Colorado weather).
What is this 850, 700 etc fill?
https://www.heddels.com/2018/01/down-fi ... plained-2/




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests