5.11? Any users?

Where did you get that man purse?
poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

5.11? Any users?

Post by poppydog » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:43 am

I'm looking for something that will have multi-purpose functionality from carrying cameras, working as a day pack and an airline carry-on. Thinking of a 5.11 Rush 12 backpack, but have never owned or used their stuff before. Anyone have any experience of the brand, especially their packs?
Regards

Steve

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Re: 5.11? Any users?

Post by JDC222 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:58 am

We are issued 5.11 at work, shirts, pants, under shirts, socks, gloves, pouches...seems to be good quality kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

PGERRITY
Name: Pat

Post by PGERRITY » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 am

I have the Rush bag. It's good quality, looks almost new after 7 years. Only thing is you'll look like a cop. Not sure if you want that perception in a travel situation. If you're not worried, it's a great bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Erratic101
Name: Justyn

Post by Erratic101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:24 am

It's not always good to have that tactical look. The bags are definitely durable. A bit on the heavy side, because the fabric is thick. I've been using a Patagonia Refugio.
https://www.rei.com/product/869774/pata ... 28-daypack

So far a great pack. I picked mine up for about $50 on clearance. It was a discontinued bright green color.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 am

I've been a fan since they started and were Royal Robbins, with 5.11 being their cargo pant line. They later split and 5.11 became its own brand. I've owned a bunch of their stuff and issued it to my employees.

As for bags, I've got a couple 5.11 "go bags" and they are solid. My uniform is also 5.11, as are my lightweight boots and level II holster. It's all good stuff.

The one time I had a problem was with some boots, about six months into ownership. 5.11 exchanged them, no questions asked.

I used to be a corporate sponsor of the California State Sheriffs Association and 5.11 was too. The company is very pro law enforcement, which I appreciate.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:37 am

hoppyjr wrote:I've been a fan since they started and were Royal Robbins, with 5.11 being their cargo pant line. They later split and 5.11 became its own brand. I've owned a bunch of their stuff and issued it to my employees.

As for bags, I've got a couple 5.11 "go bags" and they are solid. My uniform is also 5.11, as are my lightweight boots and level II holster. It's all good stuff.

The one time I had a problem was with some boots, about six months into ownership. 5.11 exchanged them, no questions asked.

I used to be a corporate sponsor of the California State Sheriffs Association and 5.11 was too. The company is very pro law enforcement, which I appreciate.
5.11 started under Royal Robbins? Huh. Never knew that. Royal is a legend in the climbing community.
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ

5.11? Any users?

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:50 am

Chocodove wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:I've been a fan since they started and were Royal Robbins, with 5.11 being their cargo pant line. They later split and 5.11 became its own brand. I've owned a bunch of their stuff and issued it to my employees.

5.11 started under Royal Robbins? Huh. Never knew that. Royal is a legend in the climbing community.
They did. Actually, they named some of their gear 5.11 because of its reference to climbing difficulty. They had a store in Modesto, California that I visited several times. At some point the partners split and 5.11 became its own brand. It's HQ is also in Modesto.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:52 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

They did. Actually, they named some of their gear 5.11 because of its reference to climbing difficulty. They had a store in Modesto, California that I visited several times. At some point the partners split and 5.11 became its own brand. It's HQ is also in Modesto.
Ahhhh...5.11! The climbing grade. Makes perfect sense. Learn something new everyday.
- Todd

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Yep, knew 5.11 was a climbing grade but hadn't realised the link to RR (probably the best biography I've read) - Yvon Chounard started Patagonia and Black Diamond, I believe. RR was a pioneer of big walls, and YV got his ideas of tough cotton clothing from Brit climbers using old rugby jerseys as far I know.
Regards

Steve

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:47 pm

My work pants and shirts are 5.11. The pants are great. The Polos are no better or worse than anything else in the price range.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:37 pm

I have a couple of bags and they are well made, but they do look tactical.

What I really like it's their vaporlite shorts and the stryke pants and shorts. Very comfortable and well made.

For camera gear, I like Lowepro. I don't remember the name of the one I have, but its a backpack that opens from the back... so if you're carrying it, there's no way from someone to open it and take the camera out.

Jason (sudha) should have great recommendations regarding this (he have actually talked about camera bags in the TGN podcast).

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Never had 5.11 and not LE but I put my bags through some shit and I've found timbuk2 excels at taking it as does TNF Surge. Neither has a tactical look. Ed, great story of 5.11 never knew the back story. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm with Dave. I use Timbuk2 bags with great results. My older bag is maybe 12 or 14 years old and still looks solid.

Only negative on the Timbuk2 bag is the Velcro patches holding the bag cover together. Not really subtle to open, but totally secure.

I have no issue with 5.11 gear. It is just a bit too tactical for everyday use IMO. Probably just a personal style thing.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 pm

I was issued 5.11 overseas. I would never spend my own cash on it. It was to tactical-cool for me.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:40 pm

toxicavenger wrote:I was issued 5.11 overseas. I would never spend my own cash on it. It was to tactical-cool for me.
FWIW, most "issued" stuff will be tactical looking, like BDU/uniform style. 5.11 makes other styles that are more discreet.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:42 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:I was issued 5.11 overseas. I would never spend my own cash on it. It was to tactical-cool for me.
FWIW, most "issued" stuff will be tactical looking, like BDU/uniform style. 5.11 makes other styles that are more discreet.

I loved the "standard" 5.11 pants when they first came out as Royal Robbins, but about the time the FBI made them the academy uniform detectives all over made them (plus a polo shirt) the daily plain clothes uniform too. It was too much, so I don't wear them except for work. Too much of any good thing ruins anything.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads

Post by JDC222 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:42 pm

The COVRT18 is pretty stealthy and not too tactical.

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.