New Coffee Set-up

Where did you get that man purse?
HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Re: New Coffee Set-up

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:54 am

Any thought to offer on hand grinders? I like how its compact and don't mind the work. Image
The Hapa

skunkworks

Post by skunkworks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:14 am

HapaHapa wrote:Any thought to offer on hand grinders? I like how its compact and don't mind the work. Image
Great for cramping, but unless your into hardcore arm workouts it's not something you'll want to do on a daily basis. Also these specific ones will break eventually. There's a plastic nut securing the central shaft to the ceramic which will eventually strip. Mine just did after maybe 75 uses.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:20 am

skunkworks wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:14 am
HapaHapa wrote:Any thought to offer on hand grinders? I like how its compact and don't mind the work. Image
Great for cramping, but unless your into hardcore arm workouts it's not something you'll want to do on a daily basis. Also these specific ones will break eventually. There's a plastic nut securing the central shaft to the ceramic which will eventually strip. Mine just did after maybe 75 uses.
Yep they totally suck. If you can get an older metal one then you would be better off. But they are a lot of work for sure.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:29 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:54 am
Any thought to offer on hand grinders? I like how its compact and don't mind the work. Image
I had a Hario grinder. Took forever to grind enough. Especially if you want it fine. With a Hario you can mod it to use an electric drill though.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:56 pm

Just got rid of our Keurig and went back to a normal coffee maker. This shits over my head.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:06 pm

dnslater wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
I had a Hario grinder. Took forever to grind enough. Especially if you want it fine. With a Hario you can mod it to use an electric drill though.
I'm looking for coarse grind for cold brew. I'll look at electric burr grinders .
The Hapa

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:18 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:06 pm
dnslater wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
I'm looking for coarse grind for cold brew. I'll look at electric burr grinders .
I have had the Cappresso burr grinder for the last 5 years and it has been great. https://www.google.com/search?q=capress ... e&ie=UTF-8

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:15 pm

HapaHapa wrote:
dnslater wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
For coarse cold brew I've been just using one of those food Ninjas. My wife bought one years ago and really didn't use it much. The only use it gets now is for grinding beans, though it is only good for cold brew. It's perfect for that. The grind isn't fine enough for drip coffee.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:41 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
dnslater wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
I have had the Cappresso burr grinder for the last 5 years and it has been great. https://www.google.com/search?q=capress ... e&ie=UTF-8
Capresso has been awesome for us as well.
:htfu:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:36 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:41 pm
toxicavenger wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
dnslater wrote:
HapaHapa wrote:
The only thing I dislike about it is if you use beans that have a lot of flavor coating on them it will stick to the inside of the hopper.

Seppia
Name: Andrea

Post by Seppia » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:01 pm

With hand grinders, there is Hario and there’s everybody else.
They are a lot of work if you use a lot of coffee, but you can control the grinding coarseness much better than with blade grinders.

More in general, there are many aspects that go in the quality of the coffee:
- the beans
- the blend (usually single origins are very hip but the flavor profile is very unbalanced)
- the roasting (depends on taste but chemically speaking both very light roasts and very dark roasts do not extrapolate all the complex flavors and aromas)
- the freshness (if you roast in house the best coffee in the world then leave it in a bag for three weeks, and I roast an average coffee and use it after one day, mine will be much better)

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:38 am

matt.wu wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Another vote for Capresso. I've been using one for about a year. Doesn't look like much but uses high quality burrs and is simple to use. No burr grinder beats it for the cost........ currently the silver version is $68 on Amazon. Can go fine enough for decent Espresso.

I bought my dad a Baratza Encore, and it is very good for about double the $$ of the Capresso and has a higher quality feel. Holds a lot more beans in the hopper..... but I like the timer on the Capresso. Baratza is manual on/off. Baratza is also about twice the size.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:41 am

Use a Capresso as well. I like the concept of the pour over and sometimes do it (just did it this morning as a matter of fact), but think I like our Cuisinart drip machine more than anything else

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:05 am

VBUS! :clap:
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

HapaHapa

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:11 am

Thanks for the input. Gonna have to chew on this for a bit. Lots of choices.
What coarseness is right for pour over? I’ll research that.
The Hapa

dnslater

Post by dnslater » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:00 am

HapaHapa wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:11 am
Thanks for the input. Gonna have to chew on this for a bit. Lots of choices.
What coarseness is right for pour over? I’ll research that.
Usually around medium - like sea salt sized........ but this vary's depending on how you are filtering. A paper filter sitting directly in a Chemex slows down the drip as most of the sides of the paper are against the glass. I use a metal holder with a screen which I place the paper filter in, so the drip goes faster.... so I use a finer grind than with a filter directly in a Chemex.

Grind size is all about how long you have water exposure. Better grinders yield more even grounds so you have more predictable results.

unsub073
Name: chris

Post by unsub073 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 am

HapaHapa wrote:
I have one of those and it's a pain in the ass, but I keep it around for my hurricane kit in case we lose power.