New Coffee Set-up

Where did you get that man purse?
zepp21
Name: Alex

Re: New Coffee Set-up

Post by zepp21 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:39 am

BacoNoir wrote:
zepp21 wrote:The only thing this thread did was confuse me. I think I'm going with the Bonavita 8 cup drip coffee maker, a burr grinder, and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Depends on your daily consumption. If 8 cups will do it for you, then probably a good choice. Otherwise, you may be making 2 pots each morning.

Note, when I was looking at them, there were some reviewers saying they drip when they pour no matter what they tried and that the carafe was hard to clean out - no personal experience here.
What did you go with?

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:42 am

BacoNoir wrote:
zepp21 wrote:The only thing this thread did was confuse me. I think I'm going with the Bonavita 8 cup drip coffee maker, a burr grinder, and call it a day.

Depends on your daily consumption. If 8 cups will do it for you, then probably a good choice. Otherwise, you may be making 2 pots each morning.

Note, when I was looking at them, there were some reviewers saying they drip when they pour no matter what they tried and that the carafe was hard to clean out - no personal experience here.
8 cup is ample for my wife and I and I've had no problem with dripping when pouring. As for cleaning I just toss a dishwasher tablet in carafe add hot water and let sit for a couple hours and it's sparkling clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

zepp21

Post by zepp21 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:32 am

So I think the final order will be the 8 cup drip and a Cuisinart burr grinder. Should be more than ample to step up the coffee game.

JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads

Post by JDC222 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:47 am

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

Nomadz
Name: Nick

Post by Nomadz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:00 am

Late to this but i have been drinking cold brew for a few years. I use the Toddy cold brewer and good beans with filtered water.
Its about $40 for the device. The Coffee is amazing.

https://toddycafe.com/cold-brew/why-toddy-cold-brew

" The sunshine bores the daylights outta me......"

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:20 am

thanks for posting this nick. been wanting to try cold brew and this seems like a great starter kit. should also work a treat for camping trips too.

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:30 am

Nomadz wrote:Late to this but i have been drinking cold brew for a few years. I use the Toddy cold brewer and good beans with filtered water.

when you're up north mocha joes has the best cold brew I've had. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for sharing. Never tried cold brewing my own.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:37 am

Nomadz wrote:Late to this but i have been drinking cold brew for a few years. I use the Toddy cold brewer and good beans with filtered water.

I've got this cold brew system as well. It takes a whole lot of ground coffee to get a good concentrate but usually lasts a while. I haven't used it in a while because I was going thru beans very quickly and it can be somewhat messy and time consuming but does make a great cold brew coffee.
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:40 am

For coffee, I have been drinking Camano Island Coffee Roasters for several years and love it. Pick your region, roast, pounds, and they roast and ship based on when you want it. I always get my whole beans within 2 days of roasting so it's really fresh and I've never been dissatisfied with the quality or roast. If anyone is interested let me know and I can send a link that gets you a discount on your first order (and I get a discount too -win/win ). ;)
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:05 pm

BSears wrote:For coffee, I have been drinking Camano Island Coffee Roasters for several years and love it. Pick your region, roast, pounds, and they roast and ship based on when you want it. I always get my whole beans within 2 days of roasting so it's really fresh and I've never been dissatisfied with the quality or roast. If anyone is interested let me know and I can send a link that gets you a discount on your first order (and I get a discount too -win/win ). ;)
+1 for Camano Island Coffee Co! I get their specialty Logger Brew (basically the Brazilian dark roast) that they make for Cascade Lumber, each within about 5 mins of the house.

Their coffee of the month club is the gift I give out to friends & family the most...I think we did another 4 or 5 this memberships this Christmas. First year is on my then you're on your own!

(CICO is the "unofficial" fav coffee now of quite a few FOX newsers).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:28 pm

Grahamcombat wrote:
BSears wrote:For coffee, I have been drinking Camano Island Coffee Roasters for several years and love it. Pick your region, roast, pounds, and they roast and ship based on when you want it. I always get my whole beans within 2 days of roasting so it's really fresh and I've never been dissatisfied with the quality or roast. If anyone is interested let me know and I can send a link that gets you a discount on your first order (and I get a discount too -win/win ). ;)
+1 for Camano Island Coffee Co! I get their specialty Logger Brew (basically the Brazilian dark roast) that they make for Cascade Lumber, each within about 5 mins of the house.

Their coffee of the month club is the gift I give out to friends & family the most...I think we did another 4 or 5 this memberships this Christmas. First year is on my then you're on your own!

(CICO is the "unofficial" fav coffee now of quite a few FOX newsers).

camano island coffee is good stuff but I prefer Mukilteo coffee. I'll have to check out the logger brew next time I'm on the island or have a bro pick me up some

YOHOHO
Dirty Closet Hinderer Whore
Name: Josh

Post by YOHOHO » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:40 pm

This place costs me a lot of money....

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:57 pm

I do cold brew from time to time. Just pour filtered water in a ball jar with grounds and let sit overnight and then pour through a coffee filter. I have also just done it in a french press, which is easier.

Whenever I add coffee to a batch of the beer I make (Porters/Stouts) I go cold brew. Because hot water never touches the beans, it doesn't pull out the tannins and such that aren't good for beer or the head. Also this contributes to a less bitter coffee.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:35 pm

My craigslist espresso machine and burr grinder. I have a bottomless filter so it does a decent pull of espresso.

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:20 pm

SCG has flash sales of reconditioned machines from time to time that are some amazing values. FYI :shrug:

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:16 pm

zepp21 wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:

What did you go with?

We bought the 10-cop Technavorm and I wish it was 12. That's my only complaint with it.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:25 pm

toxicavenger wrote:My craigslist espresso machine and burr grinder. I have a bottomless filter so it does a decent pull of espresso.
Same burr grinder I have. Killer for the money :thumbsup:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:31 pm

dukerules wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:My craigslist espresso machine and burr grinder. I have a bottomless filter so it does a decent pull of espresso.
Same burr grinder I have. Killer for the money :thumbsup:
It is. I just drill a few holes in the selector so I can get a finer grind.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Captdave wrote:SCG has flash sales of reconditioned machines from time to time that are some amazing values. FYI :shrug:
They absolutely do. They always have killer refurb deals.

angusmac

Post by angusmac » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:19 pm

dnslater wrote:I do cold brew from time to time. Just pour filtered water in a ball jar with grounds and let sit overnight and then pour through a coffee filter. I have also just done it in a french press, which is easier.

Whenever I add coffee to a batch of the beer I make (Porters/Stouts) I go cold brew. Because hot water never touches the beans, it doesn't pull out the tannins and such that aren't good for beer or the head. Also this contributes to a less bitter coffee.
I have never tried this. It sounds very interesting. I love cold brew tea often.

Sent by pigeon. Angus Mac

TLgdeL
Name: Gee Deez

Post by TLgdeL » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:02 pm

Late, my setup. A little more than a year old on both the grinder and maker. I have a Chemex for when I want to get fancy, but this gets the job done. Programmable, makes hot water at the same time, etc. I easily make coffee for me and the wife, and have hot water for hot chocolate/tea for the kids.

Image Image

Grahamcombat

Post by Grahamcombat » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:29 pm

I think I'm going to get this one because it grinds it as well, and everything will be done for me when I get up:

zepp21

Post by zepp21 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:43 am

Grahamcombat wrote:I think I'm going to get this one because it grinds it as well, and everything will be done for me when I get up:

The Moccamaster, Bonavita, and this were all compared on SCG'S YouTube. Worth a look.
https://youtu.be/Ja69aRFFIK8

Grahamcombat

Post by Grahamcombat » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:10 am

zepp21 wrote:
Grahamcombat wrote:I think I'm going to get this one because it grinds it as well, and everything will be done for me when I get up:

The Moccamaster, Bonavita, and this were all compared on SCG'S YouTube. Worth a look.
https://youtu.be/Ja69aRFFIK8
Yep, they're all good but what sways me is the auto start feature and the internal grinder - I want one step no fuss like my Magnifica, but for drip coffee. Sold.

greenlightning
The Dude
Name: Kris

Post by greenlightning » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:48 am

I believe that is a blade grinder in the auto set up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk