New Coffee Set-up

Where did you get that man purse?
JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Re: New Coffee Set-up

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:33 am

jtbenson wrote:
matt.wu wrote:... I work at home and generally drink more than one cup of coffee. So having to get up and go through a whole process again for a second or third cup is a bit of a hassle.

I still do have our Nespresso though, and we definitely use it when in a pinch.
i too work at home m@, and that's why a quality grinder and programmable espresso machine is the correct answer.
click grind; tamp; twist; click button; savor shot; bang out puck; twist; and get back to work. repeat as needed throughout the day. nothing to clean up, except your cups and weekly rinsing of the screens.
granted, the grinder and machine setup takes time and effort, but once dialed in, and the tweaking of all variables is understood, it's hard to beat the quick, near perfect---and this is the best part---infinitely repeatable--result. as quick and easy as nespresso or keurig, but imo a far superior end product. and to those who say, "but i don't always want espresso", i say "that's what the boiler is for". either dilute a normal shot into an americano, or draw out enough water for a quick pour over. having on demand boiling water on tap is something i couldn't go back to living without, and that's just a nice side effect.
How much would a set up like that cost? I don't work at home, but you never know.

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:05 pm

$1200 to $12,000
you can have a great setup for $3-4k all in, and that extra spend gets you lots of worthwhile upgrades (micro adjustment on grinder, plumbed in water line, separate boiler for hot water, etc.). i started slightly above this price point and have found no reason or desire personally to upgrade
like anything else, the last 10% is disproportionately more expensive

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:10 pm

jtbenson wrote:$1200 to $12,000
you can have a great setup for $3-4k all in, and that extra spend gets you lots of worthwhile upgrades (micro adjustment on grinder, plumbed in water line, separate boiler for hot water, etc.). i started slightly above this price point and have found no reason or desire personally to upgrade
:shock:

Sounds amazing...

for when I'm a baller...
:htfu:

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:12 pm

I don't have enough counter space for all my wife's kitchen stuff. I'd need three times the space for something like that.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:46 pm

matt.wu wrote:My day-to-day since the last coffee thread has been Blue Bottle beans, ground in a Capresso Infinity Burr Grinder, and brewed in a Moka Pot. It's pretty quick, but I think the thicker, french press style coffee isn't my favorite for daily drink.

I'm looking into drip machines w/ a filter (I think I prefer a more clear coffee, in general), so I'm probably picking up either a Chemex setup (which I've used many times before) or a Technivorm Moccamaster, which seems to get pretty great reviews.

Part of the reason I'm considering the machine, besides the clarity, is that I work at home and generally drink more than one cup of coffee. So having to get up and go through a whole process again for a second or third cup is a bit of a hassle.

I still do have our Nespresso though, and we definitely use it when in a pinch.
We have the Technivorm and I work from home too. Wife is up at 5:30 making coffee - yes, conical burr grinder - and I finish the pot around 9:30 generally, still hot and tasty. My only complaint is I wish it was 12 cup capacity. There are often morning where I need one more cup.
Last edited by BacoNoir on Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:29 pm

Sidheguitarist wrote:You work from home, M@?

How come you don't post more random memes in the stupid shit thread?

:lol:
Elitist

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:32 pm

Jason is correct on burr vs. blade grinders. I've been using a Krups burr grinder, same one actually, for over 5 years. Works like a charm though it's beat all to hell.

For brewing, I used to use a Cuisinart. However when my last one finally crapped out, I decided to go with something different. So I did a pour over method for several years. That process, however, is time consuming and can be messy and somewhat dangerous if you spill hot water everywhere. So I got The next best thing: the Behmor Brazen Plus. Behold.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:34 pm

jtbenson wrote:$1200 to $12,000
Holy shit, that's some investment! :shock:
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Burr grinder is key. Beyond that, I'm a pour over fan, but a good drip maker is fine with me.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:45 pm

BSears wrote:Jason is correct on burr vs. blade grinders. I've been using a Krups burr grinder, same one actually, for over 5 years. Works like a charm though it's beat all to hell.

For brewing, I used to use a Cuisinart. However when my last one finally crapped out, I decided to go with something different. So I did a pour over method for several years. That process, however, is time consuming and can be messy and somewhat dangerous if you spill hot water everywhere. So I got The next best thing: the Behmor Brazen Plus. Behold.
Will have to check that out. A great automated pour-over machine is pretty much my holy grail in coffee.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:46 pm

Conical burr grinder is a must. Next is a drip machine that brews the coffee at an optimal temp and in about 5 minutes into a thermocarfe so it doesn't burn. I use the bonavita coffee maker...equal to technoforma but at half the price and is a Seattle based company with great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:01 pm

greenlightning
The Dude
Name: Kris

Post by greenlightning » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:17 pm

I use tecnivorm and love it. Been growing strong for about 6 years. Frieling French Press as well. By far the best I've used and insulates better than glass ones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:00 pm

toxicavenger wrote:I use these guys https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/
They're great to deal with. I'm fortunate enough to be able to live close enough that I can pop in whenever I need anything or have any questions.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:29 pm

I have an account with SCG for small stuff, and they've been awesome so far. I like that they put out a lot of YouTube content. All solid without the hipster.

I decided to go ahead and order the Technivorm from them. They do free shipping and also included 100 free filters and some coffee with the order.

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

New Coffee Set-up

Post by BBK357 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:06 pm

Damn.
This thread is an eye opener.

I don't really use our keurig, the wife does- I personally don't really like the coffee it makes. I buy my coffee out. Most hospitals I work at have a good coffee shop and if I'm home I have a nice coffee shop close.

Going to buy a grinder and decide on a machine this weekend. I keep sniffing JP family coffee bag in my cupboard, it's getting to be a problem.

DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:50 pm

BBK357 wrote:Damn.

I don't really use our keurig, the wife does- I personally don't really like the coffee it makes. I buy my coffee out. Most hospitals I work at have a good coffee shop and if I'm home I have a nice coffee shop close.

Going to buy a grinder and decide on a machine this weekend. I keep sniffing JP family coffee bag in my cupboard, it's getting to be a problem.

It was indeed eye-opening once I had my first "good" cup of coffee years ago. It was from Blue Bottle in SF when it was still basically just a cart. Without exaggeration, it was very enlightening. Prior to that, I drank coffee black just by toughing it out and learning to embrace the brutal bitterness. But when you've got quality coffee that's made well, you actually prefer drinking it black.

I used to only get "good" coffee when buying it from shops, but thanks to prodding from friends (and a lot of enabling here), I've been starting to make my own.

I'm still pretty partial to Blue Bottle because of the nostalgia and also because they're local. So I subscribe to their beans and basically get them a day or so after they're roasted. They offer a lot of variety depending on your preference.

But of course, quality coffee is partly the beans and roast but equally the grind and brew. So a lot of the advice here (and research on the internet) has been really valuable in coming up with a solution that works for me - that is, basically the best combo of quality and convenience.

It's too bad coffee "culture" has such a negative hipster connotation (rightfully so, having been embraced by that demographic), since I really enjoy it as much as I enjoy the nuances of other "drink hobbies" like wine and whiskey/bourbon.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:51 am

hobbit712 wrote:I am very partial to Bunn coffee makers. I am on my second one. No bells and whistles but they make a great cuppa joe.

https://www.amazon.com/Velocity-10-Cup- ... ffee+maker
My wife and I received a Bunn Coffee maker 14 years ago for a wedding gift and it is still going strong. Nothing complicated to break and it makes good coffee in about 2-3 minutes since the water is already at the perfect temperature. We do have a cheep Bialetti stove top espresso maker and a french press which we also sometimes use. I admit that I don't get spending hundreds or thousands on fancy coffee makers when any of the three devices that I have will make great coffee in 3-5 minutes. Granted, I'm saying this on a website where we wear watches costing as much as cars that keep worse time than a Timex.

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:14 am

The only thing this thread did was confuse me. I think I'm going with the Bonavita 8 cup drip coffee maker, a burr grinder, and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:07 am

zepp21 wrote:The only thing this thread did was confuse me. I think I'm going with the Bonavita 8 cup drip coffee maker, a burr grinder, and call it a day.

Solid choice!

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:14 am

matt.wu wrote:

It was indeed eye-opening once I had my first "good" cup of coffee years ago. It was from Blue Bottle in SF when it was still basically just a cart. Without exaggeration, it was very enlightening. Prior to that, I drank coffee black just by toughing it out and learning to embrace the brutal bitterness. But when you've got quality coffee that's made well, you actually prefer drinking it black.

I used to only get "good" coffee when buying it from shops, but thanks to prodding from friends (and a lot of enabling here), I've been starting to make my own.

I'm still pretty partial to Blue Bottle because of the nostalgia and also because they're local. So I subscribe to their beans and basically get them a day or so after they're roasted. They offer a lot of variety depending on your preference.

But of course, quality coffee is partly the beans and roast but equally the grind and brew. So a lot of the advice here (and research on the internet) has been really valuable in coming up with a solution that works for me - that is, basically the best combo of quality and convenience.

It's too bad coffee "culture" has such a negative hipster connotation (rightfully so, having been embraced by that demographic), since I really enjoy it as much as I enjoy the nuances of other "drink hobbies" like wine and whiskey/bourbon.
I haven't had a Blue Bottle in years. Please tell me they are still good???

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:18 am

matt.wu wrote:I have an account with SCG for small stuff, and they've been awesome so far. I like that they put out a lot of YouTube content. All solid without the hipster.

I decided to go ahead and order the Technivorm from them. They do free shipping and also included 100 free filters and some coffee with the order.
Their videos is what made me years ago decide to start using them, not mention Gail/Dawn make the video's entertaining. They give away so much free content, and if you email/call them they will help you out even more. They also do not try to upsell or b.s. you at all. This is a company I totally stand behind.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:50 am

toxicavenger wrote:
matt.wu wrote:

I haven't had a Blue Bottle in years. Please tell me they are still good???
It's still my go-to, even given the pretty good access to "craft coffee" I have in the area. I think they offer a great range of beans, so there's something for everyone. If I'm ever near one in the city or in Oakland, I usually will always make time to stop in for a drip coffee.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:59 am

matt.wu wrote:It's still my go-to, even given the pretty good access to "craft coffee" I have in the area. I think they offer a great range of beans, so there's something for everyone. If I'm ever near one in the city or in Oakland, I usually will always make time to stop in for a drip coffee.
I won't say they are the best I have ever had but they had some very unique blends at one time. So you can figure out which one works for each individual. If we didn't have one of the original Seattle Best roasters here in Colorado Springs I would probably be ordering from them. But we have a ton of micro-roasters here that are really good also. So I have a ton of options.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:30 am

zepp21 wrote:The only thing this thread did was confuse me. I think I'm going with the Bonavita 8 cup drip coffee maker, a burr grinder, and call it a day.

Depends on your daily consumption. If 8 cups will do it for you, then probably a good choice. Otherwise, you may be making 2 pots each morning.

Note, when I was looking at them, there were some reviewers saying they drip when they pour no matter what they tried and that the carafe was hard to clean out - no personal experience here.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006