Post by andrema » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:30 pm

How'd I do?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mfxr
Name: MattF

Re: Bourbon

Post by mfxr » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:00 pm

Depends if you like it I guess :grin:

Made by Jim Beam, who is owned by Suntory. I guess you bought some Japanese whiskey :lol:

Part of the small batch collection. I don't mind Bookers from this range. Pretty sure there are some other members here that like the Knob.
Small-Batch-Bourbon-Collection.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Bourbon

Post by matt.wu » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:06 pm

I think I'm gonna run the gamut of the Heaven's Hill bourbon branch. I picked up some McKenna and Larceny.
:htfu:

mfxr
Name: MattF

Post by mfxr » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:39 pm

Matt if you ever see Parker’s Heritage 7th Edition Bourbon (Heaven Hill), you would probably like it. Bit expensive though.

They do a different version every year but I have only had the 7th Ed (It is always whiskey, but not always bourbon)
parkers.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:22 pm

The Parkers Heritage this year is a 24 year old bourbon.
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:08 pm

mfxr wrote:Depends if you like it I guess :grin:

Made by Jim Beam, who is owned by Suntory. I guess you bought some Japanese whiskey :lol:

Part of the small batch collection. I don't mind Bookers from this range. Pretty sure there are some other members here that like the Knob.
Yes there are a few who like the knob.
The Hapa

ItnStln

Post by ItnStln » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:36 pm

Seppia wrote:Wild Turkey rare breed, Blanton's single barrel, Elmer T Lee.
I'm a big fan of almost anything that comes out of Buffalo Trace distillery, but it might be spicy for a rhum taste.
The best of the three above in my opinion is the Wild Turkey, but Blanton's is more accessible.
A good gateway drug is Maker's Mark, it's too sweet for me but it has proven to be a good initiation to bourbon for people used to mellow stuff. So is Woodford Reserve.
Wild Turkey Rare Breed is a good one!

ItnStln

Post by ItnStln » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:37 pm

matt.wu wrote:As I found when starting out, there are a variety of flavor profiles out there, and people generally tend to have a preference within one vein or another.

Matt from Australia shared this graphic in this bourbon thread: http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/f ... 3&p=943427

I knew I liked Evan Williams, so this tree helped me find Elijah Craig which is my standard nightly.

Tons of good info in that thread from folks much more experienced than I.
Very informative, thanks!

petethegreek
Name: Pete

Post by petethegreek » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:37 am

Jefferson makes some great stuff. I just picked up on of the small batch variants and really enjoying it.

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:01 am

good choice, Mark :thumbsup:

Buffalo Trace is my every day booze these days. $26 a bottle at the NH st. stores.

my cousin has quite a large "collection" of bourbons (some over $200 a bottle). several years ago, i gave him a glass (neat) of BT and he was blown away. i told him that he didn't know about it because he's always looking up at the liquor store :lol:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:50 am

four20 wrote:good choice, Mark :thumbsup:

Buffalo Trace is my every day booze these days. $26 a bottle at the NH st. stores.

my cousin has quite a large "collection" of bourbons (some over $200 a bottle). several years ago, i gave him a glass (neat) of BT and he was blown away. i told him that he didn't know about it because he's always looking up at the liquor store :lol:

I don't think I've mentioned this one yet here in this thread, but if you want bargain basement value in a fantastic bourbon, pick up a handle of Old Fitzgerald Bottled in Bond for under $30. This is a Heavenhill distillery bourbon and word has it they are discontinuing the OFBIB and dumping what they have left in barrels into their Larceny label (a massive mistake IMHO, but they didn't ask me, so there).

I have a couple of bottles I'm selling and have a few listed on bottle spot. If anyone is interested in these, hit me up by PM:
Rhetoric 20, 21, and 22 year old bourbons (Limited Orphan Barrel releases).
Angel's Envy Cask Strength 2013 (while Lincoln Henderson was still living and presumably "approved" at least this batch).

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks for the info Brad... just received a bottle of Makers
Mark Cask Strength which I can't wait to try..

Also tried Widow Jane out of Brooklyn which was excellent.

:cheers:
Mike

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:10 am

Another cheap but equally delicious bourbon is Ancient Ancient Age (green label, and not the Ancient Age version). If you can actually find this in any size, get it and sip it like any other fine bourbon. It's that good.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:12 am

Another one that will be harder to find and a little pricier is Very Old Fitzgerald 12 year old.

Another that you probably won't find (but should still look for) is Michter's 10 year old. I had this for the first time about 2 or 3 years ago at a bourbon sampler. It was the only one I went back for repeated refills. :lol:

mrneddles
Name: Dave

Post by mrneddles » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:01 am

andrema wrote:She has Four Roses so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4 Roses Single Barrel is my favorite. I am still a novice but have tried about two dozen bottles over the past 18 months. It runs just under $50 in my parts.

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:50 pm

jimyritz wrote:I find Bourbon and Scotch to be like coffee- more of a learned taste.
That being said, Jefferson Reserve has become a favorite- smooth and well balanced. Woodford Reserve
is a good one. I like to stay in the 80-90 proof range. My next putchase is something from the High West Distillery in Utah- check out Campfire...

Mike
Trying Jefferson Reserve Very Old.
This should do nicely this winter

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:13 am

gamecock111 wrote:
jimyritz wrote:I find Bourbon and Scotch to be like coffee- more of a learned taste.
That being said, Jefferson Reserve has become a favorite- smooth and well balanced. Woodford Reserve
is a good one. I like to stay in the 80-90 proof range. My next putchase is something from the High West Distillery in Utah- check out Campfire...

Mike
Trying Jefferson Reserve Very Old.
This should do nicely this winter
-----------

Enjoy! The Maker's Mark Cask Strength is probably the best I have had in a long time..