Anyone roasting your own coffee beans?

Where did you get that man purse?
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Re: Anyone roasting your own coffee beans?

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:27 pm

ChuckW wrote:
YOHOHO wrote:
ChuckW wrote:I roast with a Behmor 1600, which has a smoke suppression system that enables me to roast indoors. With this rig, a range hood is more than adequate to deal with any smoke as long as you don't burn the crap out of the beans Charbucks style. I buy my green beans from a not for profit co-op, so I'm able to get quality beans in the +/- $5 per lb. range delivered. I normally order 15 lbs. at a time. It's nice to roast beans as you need them and always have fresh coffee to brew.

Sweet setup. I like the smoke suppression. I found a few on the Behmor 1600's on Craigslist, maybe I'll give that a shot.
Whatever roaster you use, be prepared to keep an eye on it while roasting is in progress for two reasons: (A) It's practically impossible to accurately pre-program roasting time to get the desired roast, so you need to be there to manually kick in the cooling cycle at the right time and (B) there is always a fire hazard. Bean chaff is especially combustible. Rule number one: Do not burn down the house.
:naughty:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:19 pm

Enlightening. I may have to try things. Damn it.
:htfu:

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:22 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
ChuckW wrote:
YOHOHO wrote:
ChuckW wrote:I roast with a Behmor 1600, which has a smoke suppression system that enables me to roast indoors. With this rig, a range hood is more than adequate to deal with any smoke as long as you don't burn the crap out of the beans Charbucks style. I buy my green beans from a not for profit co-op, so I'm able to get quality beans in the +/- $5 per lb. range delivered. I normally order 15 lbs. at a time. It's nice to roast beans as you need them and always have fresh coffee to brew.

Sweet setup. I like the smoke suppression. I found a few on the Behmor 1600's on Craigslist, maybe I'll give that a shot.
Whatever roaster you use, be prepared to keep an eye on it while roasting is in progress for two reasons: (A) It's practically impossible to accurately pre-program roasting time to get the desired roast, so you need to be there to manually kick in the cooling cycle at the right time and (B) there is always a fire hazard. Bean chaff is especially combustible. Rule number one: Do not burn down the house.
:naughty:
Candles and drapes can have similar result. A relative of mine learned this the hard way.
The Hapa

Safetystop
Diving (muff) is not a team sport.
Name: Dr. Eaton Beaver

Post by Safetystop » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:33 pm

Preface this by saying that I don't drink coffee on a regular basis but my wife does. And this is just an excuse to buy more shit! But the setup I use for making coffee is the Quickmill Anita
I have this hooked up to a timer to turn on well before anybody wakes up so that the machine is nice and warmed up to brew right away.
For a grinder I turned in my Rocky by Rancilio because I was going through burrs too fast. I upgraded to the Mazzer Mini with the presets on top
One press of a button, after tuning, and the portafilter fills on it's own with either a double or single shot.

Matt, from start to finish a cup of coffee (Americano) takes about 3 minutes.

I've thought about roasting but once I got my scheduling down to keep the grinder full with mail order coffee it wasn't really worth it. The place I get it from roasts and ships. From the time it takes to ship, the coffee has already outgassed the necessary week before putting into play.

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:10 am

I don't roast beans nor would I. As Terry said, there's so much good coffe out there, it's not worth it (I feel the same about brewing your own beer). I buy whole bean coffee weekly, always mixing and/or alternating beans for variety sake.

I grind beans every morning, using a Krups grinder. I'm on my second Krups grinder, the last one lasted almost 17 years.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:03 am

Really. Do you guys make your own clothes too?

:shock:
only accurate watches are interesting

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:07 am

Seppia wrote: Did You know decaf coffee is made by steaming the beans (which removes flavor) and then treating them with chemical solvents? Don't drink decaf.
Drinking decaf is insanity - it's like "near beer". It tastes like shit and doesn't do anything.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:50 am

marchone wrote:Really. Do you guys make your own clothes too?

Nope. Lulu makes mine. [DANCER]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:41 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Seppia wrote: Did You know decaf coffee is made by steaming the beans (which removes flavor) and then treating them with chemical solvents? Don't drink decaf.
Drinking decaf is insanity - it's like "near beer". It tastes like shit and doesn't do anything.
+1 What's the point?

madams91

Post by madams91 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:21 am

Do roast. Not much of a coffee drinker any more. It plays hell with my lower GI tract.

Roaster is a small-scale affair I bought from Amazon. It's a hot air roaster by Melita, I think. Can't be bothered to get up and walk to the kitchen to check, watching The X-Files on Netflix. Scully is dying - dying I tell you!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:31 am

madams91 wrote:Do roast. Not much of a coffee drinker any more. It plays hell with my lower GI tract.

Roaster is a small-scale affair I bought from Amazon. It's a hot air roaster by Melita, I think. Can't be bothered to get up and walk to the kitchen to check, watching The X-Files on Netflix. Scully is dying - dying I tell you!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Try DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice), it's possible you maybe able to enjoy coffee again.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:45 am

My dad roasted his own for awhile. Would do a weeks worth each weekend. One advantage is that beans are about 25% cheaper..... More if you buy in bulk. Delivery is less expensive also as green beans are smaller, so more per package.

One downside was the process makes a lot of smoke, so you need to do outside or in a garage.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:55 am

I don't roast my own beans as I have friends who own a very good roaster. I get my beans ( #3 ) fresh roasted every week. I then use a burr grinder and grind exactly what I need for my drip coffee. I use a Bonavita drip machine. Best drip coffee maker for the money period. I also have a Saeco automatic which grinds the beans fresh for each shot it pulls. The secret is grind fresh roasted beans fresh for each use. Store your beans in an airtight lightproof container. Do not freeze them. This advice comes from my friend the master coffee roaster.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:18 am

Captdave wrote:Store your beans in an airtight lightproof container. Do not freeze them. This advice comes from my friend the master coffee roaster.
I was told this the other day by a guy who use to be a part owner of Seattle's Best. So I am going to give it a try and see what happens.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:02 pm

marchone wrote:Really. Do you guys make your own clothes too?

Coming from a chef???
;)

I make my own modern furniture and brew my own beer. not that different than cooking. Some roast their own coffee, cook their own food, rebuild their own car engines............

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:01 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Captdave wrote:Store your beans in an airtight lightproof container. Do not freeze them. This advice comes from my friend the master coffee roaster.
I was told this the other day by a guy who use to be a part owner of Seattle's Best. So I am going to give it a try and see what happens.
my friends who own the roaster one half of the partnership was the original buyer for Seattles Best when it was on Vashon Island. Small world.

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.