Would you buy a house next to a school?

Where did you get that man purse?
Heuerville
Name: Stewart

Would you buy a house next to a school?

Post by Heuerville » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:37 pm

Odd question I know, but I'm looking at a house that borders a primary school. Not sure what the American is for that - maybe 'elementary school'? (kids 5-11 I think). The garden borders the playground.

I'm thinking that the pros are: Very quiet at weekends, and after 3pm.
Cons are: noisy for a few times a day during breaks - morning, lunch etc.

Any experience appreciated!
Stewart - Heuerville & Heuerville Straps
http://heuerville.wordpress.com/heuerville-straps/
"SOB get me a drink"

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Re: Would you buy a house next to a school?

Post by Chocodove » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:43 pm

I live maybe 5 house down from an elementary school. Their parking situation sucks, so cars line the street during school hours (but I have a driveway). I leave for work before anything happens there and get home after they are all done, so the inconvenience factor is pretty much zero. Even when I'm off during school hours I can't hear a thing, though again I'm a bit down the street.

Positives are we are the first block in town to get power back if it goes out, street gets plowed immediately and well, and it's very safe. Negative is the kids like to throw garbage on my lawn as they walk to school. YMMV.
- Todd

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:45 pm

Simple answer for me would be, as you say, a big cup of nope.

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Heuerville wrote:Odd question I know, but I'm looking at a house that borders a primary school. Not sure what the American is for that - maybe 'elementary school'? (kids 5-11 I think). The garden borders the playground.

I'm thinking that the pros are: Very quiet at weekends, and after 3pm.
Cons are: noisy for a few times a day during breaks - morning, lunch etc.

Any experience appreciated!
Our first house backed onto a school yard. Don't assume it will be quiet on the weekend. It was often the case that the school would host community sports leagues (soccer, baseball, etc) at the school on weekend mornings and it was anything but quiet. I don't think I'd buy a house backing onto a school again. YMMV.

Heuerville

Post by Heuerville » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:47 pm

Chocodove wrote:I live maybe 5 house down from an elementary school. Their parking situation sucks, so cars line the street during school hours (but I have a driveway). I leave for work before anything happens there and get home after they are all done, so the inconvenience factor is pretty much zero. Even when I'm off during school hours I can't hear a thing, though again I'm a bit down the street.

Positives are we are the first block in town to get power back if it goes out, street gets plowed immediately and well, and it's very safe. Negative is the kids like to throw garbage on my lawn as they walk to school. YMMV.
Thanks Todd..
I'm actually warming to the idea. I work from home, but I can walk the dog during school 'lunch play time'. Weekends are silent too. :thumbsup:

PS. What's YMMV?
"SOB get me a drink"

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:49 pm

Heuerville wrote:
Chocodove wrote:I live maybe 5 house down from an elementary school. Their parking situation sucks, so cars line the street during school hours (but I have a driveway). I leave for work before anything happens there and get home after they are all done, so the inconvenience factor is pretty much zero. Even when I'm off during school hours I can't hear a thing, though again I'm a bit down the street.

Thanks Todd..
I'm actually warming to the idea. I work from home, but I can walk the dog during school 'lunch play time'. Weekends are silent too. :thumbsup:

PS. What's YMMV?
Your Milage May Vary, as in your experience may be different :). Now that I think of it, we do know someone who has a house that directly borders the same school's playground. She has kids and they love it, but again her main complaint is the garbage the kids toss over their fence. No manners these days!
- Todd

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:57 pm

Nope.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:58 pm

never

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:59 pm

I'd never live close to a school. All the traffic from parents picking up and dropping off, after school activities, remodeling/addition construction, etc. no thanks.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:11 pm

andrema wrote:Nope.
This.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

PGERRITY
Name: Pat

Post by PGERRITY » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:13 pm

I've been there. As its been said before, if you leave before the line forms for drop off, and come home after pick up you're good to go. But if your home during that time, especially recess, nope. Relax on your porch with a beer and 100 screaming 4th graders. You'll lose your shit. Quickly.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:26 pm

No. I grew up next to a school.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:27 pm

My house is 2 homes away from an elementary school, but it is separated by large baseball fields and is one of the smallest schools in the state (228 students). I like it. I don't work from home and I miss the peak hrs because of my work schedule. I have a 2 yr old, so we use the play ground on the weekends and I don't mind the sports activity on week nights and weekends. Unfortunately, we'll move before my son has the privilege to go there.
I guess the big variable is the size of the school and location (I wouldn't have bought near a school with low income families attending).

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:39 pm

NIMBY
only accurate watches are interesting

Heuerville

Post by Heuerville » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:40 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I hate the sound of screaming kids.. but my thinking is that at least with a school you know when it's gonna happen. Maybe I'm being naive.
I could buy a house and end up next to screaming kids next door well after 3pm... hmm.. it's a tough decision!
It's a small school in a quiet 'upmarket' neighbourhood. Dunno what to think!
"SOB get me a drink"

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:13 pm

really depends on how "next to" you mean. we had an elementary school a couple hundred yards away (it was converted to an administrative building a couple of years ago when they opened a new school a mile away). for us it was far enough away that it didn't affect us, but i didn't mind having it to walk the dog through their grounds at night. it also meant that my voting place was a short walk from home and i didn't have to bother with trying to park. and since we are on a side street and the school on the main road, we don't have kids walking down our street (unless they live on it) or parking issues.

Heuerville

Post by Heuerville » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:27 pm

The one side of the garden borders the far edge of the (large) playground.
The school building itself is some way away.
"SOB get me a drink"

1954Selmer
Name: RC

Post by 1954Selmer » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:31 pm

No. Because I do Not like children...

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:33 pm

Heuerville wrote:Thanks for all the replies.

I hate the sound of screaming kids.. but my thinking is that at least with a school you know when it's gonna happen. Maybe I'm being naive.
I could buy a house and end up next to screaming kids next door well after 3pm... hmm.. it's a tough decision!
Kids play at the school all the time (way after dark). Screaming is one thing, but skateboard wheels and dumpster fires are another.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:50 pm

Heuerville wrote:Thanks for all the replies.

My advice is this...go there and park a few times at different times of the day (around morning commute, midday, evening commute, weekend). Walk around and get a feel for what it's like as far as noise and activity.

The reason that I would never do it is because of the constant activity near schools. Even when schools aren't in session, they are often used for after school functions or sports...even on weekends. The traffic would drive me nuts, especially if the home was on the entrance or exit road. Just something to consider...

cdnwatchguy
Name: Keith

Post by cdnwatchguy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:51 pm

Never
cheers,

Keith

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:15 pm

Negative will outweigh positive. Lots of traffic. Kids using school yard evenings and weekends. School yards can also be rented to organizations for reoccurring sports events.
The Hapa

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:24 pm

Definitely not.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:33 pm

You forgot to ask if they would even let you live that close to a school... :mrgreen:

I live about two blocks from my local elementary school (and not on the main street), which is perfect for me. We miss most of the heavy street traffic and are far enough away so that we can't hear even a little sound from the school, but we will have a short walk to school when my kid starts Kindergarten. We are able to walk and take advantage of the facilities when we want, and the streets are often well-kept and safe.

So I don't think I'd want my backyard backed up against the school, but I don't mind living close to a school.
:htfu:

TSD
Name: Tom

Post by TSD » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:52 pm

andrema wrote:My advice is this...go there and park a few times at different times of the day (around morning commute, midday, evening commute, weekend). Walk around and get a feel for what it's like as far as noise and activity.
This exactly. Never again would I choose to live near a school. Our first home was a row house in DC that backed up to a school. Little did we know that the narrow street we used to reach our only assigned parking space was the school's primary means of car pick up each afternoon. God help you if you live at or near the designated car pick up route and need to come home early. Crazed teachers and parents can and will prevent you from cutting the car line or reaching your home.