How do you buy an engagement ring?

Where did you get that man purse?
foodle

Re: How do you buy an engagement ring?

Post by foodle » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:06 am

CGSshorty wrote:
foodle wrote:
FlyPenFly wrote: The idea of synthetic diamonds appeals to me because I'm a science kind of guy and there doesn't seem to be any logical reason why they're not the best option per dollar outside of something really big.
The question is not whether it appeals to you, but rather if it appeals to her.
This is exactly what I was going to write. It's not for you. Get yourself a chemistry set. Trust me, you don't stay married by buying her things that appeal to you.
"Honey, I bought you this awesome G-Shock instead of that stupid Lange whatever you wanted. The G-Shock is more accurate, has dozens of more functions, and can be run over by a truck! Plus it was way cheaper! It needed over a century of physics, chemistry, material science, electrical engineering, and computer science to make it possible! Do you love it?"

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:27 pm

Seppia wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
FlyPenFly wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:
FlyPenFly wrote:What's the word on synthetic diamonds?
My wife would say that word is bullshit. She wants to know that some African spilled blood getting that rock onto her finger.
Can't they make them more perfect in the lab?
yes

I bought my wife a $100 ring when we got married. We didn't want to go into our new life together in debt.
Wait people actually get indebted to buy an engagement ring?
That seems completely insane
Bro everyone I know went into debt to buy their wife a ring. That is not happening in our house.

dosei
Closet Baller
Name: Dennis

Post by dosei » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:41 pm

Topper Jeweler is actually a engagement ring spot. My wife has friends who know of Topper because of diamond rings, and not due to watches. Give them a call and they're more than helpful.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

How do you buy an engagement ring?

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:44 pm

It's a rampant thing in the USA, or at least in So Cal. Have to look good or maybe it's a competition. Big diamond. Big Mercedes or M series BMW. Big muscles. Big tits.
Well, I do appreciate the last item.
The Hapa

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:19 pm

Seppia wrote:I think I can make do with the big tits part as well :cheers:
Those are worth going into debt for. :cheers:
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

425ranger
OMGWTFBBQ
Name: Bill

Post by 425ranger » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:28 pm

Congrats!

As nice a diamond as you can afford (NOT as big) and platinum 950 only. Most people with ready cash also go all out with the wedding set, (engagement, wedding and matching plain comfort band).

This is a legacy purchase, treat it as such.
Retired
Key West, FL
Have a sparkling day.

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Post by dshap » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:35 pm

I don't really understand why people get so hung up on "quality", as in color or inclusions. Since diamonds basically have no resale value and the whole "investment" marketing line is just bullshit (and if things go according to plan, it will never be sold), why not buy the biggest and sparkliest stone that looks good to the naked eye?
-David

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:49 pm

dshap wrote:I don't really understand why people get so hung up on "quality", as in color or inclusions. Since diamonds basically have no resale value and the whole "investment" marketing line is just bullshit (and if things go according to plan, it will never be sold), why not buy the biggest and sparkliest stone that looks good to the naked eye?
+1

EXACTLY what I did after the original center stone - which had been her mothers - was lost. For the replacement ring, which coincided with our 20yr anniversary. Big f'n stone.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:53 pm

CGSshorty wrote:
foodle wrote:
FlyPenFly wrote: The idea of synthetic diamonds appeals to me because I'm a science kind of guy and there doesn't seem to be any logical reason why they're not the best option per dollar outside of something really big.
The question is not whether it appeals to you, but rather if it appeals to her.
This is exactly what I was going to write. It's not for you. Get yourself a chemistry set. Trust me, you don't stay married by buying her things that appeal to you.
Think I bought my wife three watches before figuring this out. Now I just buy her fancy bottles of wine.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:00 pm

The wife's ring and her favorite watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:32 pm

dshap wrote:I don't really understand why people get so hung up on "quality", as in color or inclusions. Since diamonds basically have no resale value and the whole "investment" marketing line is just bullshit (and if things go according to plan, it will never be sold), why not buy the biggest and sparkliest stone that looks good to the naked eye?
Again, because that's not what your fiancée wants. Logic does not play a part in diamond engagement rings.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:37 pm

JBZ wrote:
Again, because that's not what your fiancée wants. Logic does not play a part in diamond engagement rings.
I agree, neither do watches

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:41 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Touché.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:44 pm

JBZ wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Touché.
I am talking about the 3 I bought my wife and she doesn't wear :banghead:

dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.

Post by dshap » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:48 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
JBZ wrote:

New watches are a little different, but let's say you go buy a $10,000 vintage Rolex. If you go to sell it in a few years you'll probably get $10,000 for it. If you buy a $10,000 diamond ring and go to sell it in a few years, you'll get what, $3000? $5000?
-David

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:17 pm

dshap wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JBZ wrote:

New watches are a little different, but let's say you go buy a $10,000 vintage Rolex. If you go to sell it in a few years you'll probably get $10,000 for it. If you buy a $10,000 diamond ring and go to sell it in a few years, you'll get what, $3000? $5000?
Have you seen the houses of the old diamond dealers in the Five Towns? There is a lot of markup.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

foodle

Post by foodle » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:20 pm

dshap wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JBZ wrote:

Depends on how ripped off you got when you bought it in the first place.

Buying a vintage Rolex isn't really an apt comparison, closer would be buying a new Rolex at an AD (many of which will sell you a diamond at marked up prices too). Walking out the door with a new Rolex, you lose 30% or more. Likely worse for PM models.

Pasquale
Becky
Name: Pasquale

Post by Pasquale » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:02 pm

Blood diamond
Pasquale

NSC

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:28 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
JBZ wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JBZ wrote:
Touché.
I am talking about the 3 I bought my wife and she doesn't wear :banghead:
Ooof. I bought my wife a necklace like that. Every now and then she puts it on to humor me.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:38 pm

patstarrx wrote:Blood diamond
Need a BCA to go with it...
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:40 pm

I am going with a engineered diamond next time

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:47 pm

There won't be a next time for me.;)

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:49 pm

59yukon01 wrote:There won't be a next time for me.;)
I am talking about ring wise in general, not a next wife. :oops:

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!

Post by 59yukon01 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:56 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Same here on both counts.:)

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:59 pm

59yukon01 wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
Same here on both counts.:)
+2