Where did you get that man purse?
Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Re: I highly recommend these over-ear headphones

Post by Joeprez » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:29 am

bedlam wrote:
zepp21 wrote:Bose. Period.
Bose is the Bell&Ross of audio. An expensive way to get reasonable quality sound.
You can definitely get better sounding cans for less than the price of Bose headphones. However, their AE2 and QC line are really comfortable. I have the Seinhheiser HD598 and even though they sound better, the Bose are more comfortable for longer hearing sessions. Plus my SoundSport in ear headphones are great for running (and for the time being, I'm using them in the office too).

Really want to try the Hifiman HE-400i and the new Audioquest Nighthawk headphones.

In addition, if you listen to music from your laptop and like your headphones AND want to improve sound quality, get a DAC (digital to analog converter). I've been using tthe Audioquest Dragonfly DAC for a couple of months and love it:

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:03 am

Here's my choice

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:04 am

Joeprez wrote:
bedlam wrote:
Bose is the Bell&Ross of audio. An expensive way to get reasonable quality sound.
You can definitely get better sounding cans for less than the price of Bose headphones. However, their AE2 and QC line are really comfortable. I have the Seinhheiser HD598 and even though they sound better, the Bose are more comfortable for longer hearing sessions. Plus my SoundSport in ear headphones are great for running (and for the time being, I'm using them in the office too).

Really want to try the Hifiman HE-400i and the new Audioquest Nighthawk headphones.

In addition, if you listen to music from your laptop and like your headphones AND want to improve sound quality, get a DAC (digital to analog converter). I've been using tthe Audioquest Dragonfly DAC for a couple of months and love it:

What's the benefit of a DAC? At $148.00 it better give live concert performances.

mbakes
Name: Mike

Post by mbakes » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:07 am

zepp21 wrote: What's the benefit of a DAC? At $148.00 it better give live concert performances.
The idea is that they use better dac chips and better implementation to give better sound. $148 is on the very low end for stand alone dacs.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:12 am

I've seen pre-amps over $2K. I use one from Phil Jones Bass that's over $450.
only accurate watches are interesting

mbakes

Post by mbakes » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:23 am

I have a Schitt Yggdrasil which retails for $2300 (bought it used). I have friends with DACs that cost double. Audio can get a little crazy.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:55 am

If you want to listen to your mp3's (or any other digital music medium), you need a DAC to convert the digital file to analog so you can hear it through the headphones/speakers. Your laptop/ipod/iphone already has a DAC (and apple products usually have very good DAC's) but depending on the quality of that laptop, you will have lower or higher quality DAC. The reason I bought the Dragonfly was because I had a shitty laptop in my previous work and the music coming from the laptop sounded really bad (shitty integrated DAC). The Dragonfly was a great improvement over the DAC on that laptop, but if I compare it to the DAC of my macbook, the improvement is not so marked (specially with "regular" headphones).

Excerpt from a good article on the subject:

"One situation where we often find DACs recommended is with headphones. When you are connecting to a computer, often with a stock soundcard, noise and jitter can be real problems. Adding an external DAC can be a good solution but not always the cheapest. If the soundcard is the problem, check into upgrading that before you add a DAC. You may find that you can get not only better audio performance, but more options (like surround sound) for about the same money, or less, as a DAC. If you are using a laptop however, you may find that a USB DAC is your only real option.

For headphones in particular, loudness can be an issue. If you have expensive and hard to power headphones, you might find that the output of your computer or device just isn't loud enough, even at full volume. In that case, what you need is a headphone amplifier. Many USB DACs have headphone amps built in so you can experience the best of both worlds."

http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-que ... -converter

I put way more money into watches than into audio equipment, but these are the next ones I want to try, Schiit Vali 2 amp and Schiit Modi 2 uber DAC:

http://schiit.com/products/vali-2

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2
Last edited by Joeprez on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbakes

Post by mbakes » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:55 am

Schitt makes good products. I had the Gungnir Muti Bit DAC and also have the Ragnarok amp for my speakers.

Brimstone
Name: Eric

Post by Brimstone » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:22 am

I use a Fiio X3 for my DAC and DAP.

http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-X3-Mastering ... B00E9O6C96

Last edited by Brimstone on Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:54 pm

Never listen to headphones (or any audio gear) that you can't afford to buy :)

I've got a few sets, my favourites are my VISIO HP50's for closed cans and Hifiman HE-400's for open (love planars!).

But there are some definite bargains as well (i.e. < $100), like the Shure SE215's. Paired with a Dragonfly, excellent work rig if you need to stay a bit mobile. And for open headphones, I still like the Grado 80's (I use an L cushion with Tape mod on mine, seems to smooth out the sound a bit).

Anyway, great hobby if you're into music and really want to get into the sound, doesn't have to be as expensive as watches either ;)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:56 pm

Joeprez wrote:
bedlam wrote:

Joe: I love my HE400's. I drive them either off my Fiio E10 or the Pono (love the Pono with Hi-Rez!). They are heavy though...
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:01 pm

kfalk wrote:Here's my choice

Kelly's

:htfu:

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

I highly recommend these over-ear headphones

Post by BBK357 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:05 pm

Wu- Is that where you wanna be when Jesus comes back? Making fun of little ol' k Falk?
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:26 pm

BBK357 wrote:Wu- Is that where you wanna be when Jesus comes back? Making fun of little ol' k Falk?
I can think of no more honorable a task to be doing.
:htfu:

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:29 pm

You guys are slipping. How many posts in and not a single post poking fun at an audio company named Schiit? Deeply disappointing :)

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:34 pm

matt.wu wrote:
kfalk wrote:Here's my choice

Kelly's

falcon4311 wrote: Americans are rude dicks. Funny, eh?
I agree Don, but I think Matt was just joking? :shrug:

And I did lol.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:47 pm

logan2z wrote:You guys are slipping. How many posts in and not a single post poking fun at an audio company named Schiit? Deeply disappointing :)
They make fun of themselves:

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:41 pm

logan2z wrote:You guys are slipping. How many posts in and not a single post poking fun at an audio company named Schiit? Deeply disappointing :)
Grow a set of Bose and stop being a Schiithead.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:18 pm

Schiit can the Bose.
only accurate watches are interesting

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:23 pm

BBK357 wrote:Wu- Is that where you wanna be when Jesus comes back? Making fun of little ol' k Falk?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :salute:

mechnut
Name: Roger

Post by mechnut » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:31 pm

They make good Schiit. I have Audeze EL8's (open) for home, and Shure SE425's for on-the-go.

mbakes

Post by mbakes » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:50 pm

JH13's for me on the go which I've had for about 6 or 7 years. Looking to pick up the jH13 v.2. Time to try the new and improved version.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:54 pm

belligero wrote:
apnk wrote:
bedlam wrote:
Buy Other Stereo Equipment

I use Grado HF2's and Sennheiser HD25's w/ a Headamp Pico DAC/Amp.
Indeed, friends don't let friends by Bose. I wouldn't even call the sound quality all that reasonable from what I've heard, and it certainly isn't anything acceptable for the price.

However, I'm very happy with Grado (my much-abused ten-year-old SR80s are still alive), Beyerdynamic DT48Es (all-metal German dome of solitude with unbeatable midrange), AKG K701s (open-backed bliss, and great for a session on the electric piano too), but my favourite set is definitely the all-function industrial-lookin' GMP 8.35Ds:

(the balled-up thing is the remains of a sticker put on to cover up the logo)

Indestructible, good isolation, great sound, and fun to listen to. Definitely my go-to travel cans; you can literally stomp/hammer on them or even run them over and they'll just spring back:

Besides the ridiculous durability and high sound quality, it's sweet that their 35-ohm impedance doesn't require messing around with auxiliary amplification to get decent volume. I find that headphone amps are more trouble than they're worth.

HD25s are a great recommendation, too.

That video is insane! Seriously cool stuff. You guys have some serious audiophile addictions going on. Nothing wrong with that. I am always looking for good headphones, but I'm not even entering this race. My needs do not come close to y'all's wants! I have a pair of Beats wireless Bluetooth earphones for the gym and they produce really good quality given the limited size and mode of connectivity. One day I'll have to get a good home audio setup.
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:03 pm

I have both of these and love them. The T1s are just awesome.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455242578.026079.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455242606.705069.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:32 pm

jeckyll wrote:
Joeprez wrote:
bedlam wrote:

Joe: I love my HE400's. I drive them either off my Fiio E10 or the Pono (love the Pono with Hi-Rez!). They are heavy though...
They seem like a great buy for the price. Are they to uncomfortable for hour+ hearing sessions? Really want to try them.

I have had a couple of grados... love the sound for rock music, but I can't use them for more than half an hour (not sure if the on ear style or the foams or just the headband being too narrow). Usually prefer over ear headphones. Funny thing is, I like the grado sound so much, I've been thinking of getting another pair (like Brice with the Pelagos?! :roll:)