What kind of grill do you use???

Where did you get that man purse?
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:27 pm

For years we have stuck with the super cheap Char-boil grills with decent results and no maintenance really and just buy a new one every 5 years or so. Well this summer while my Mother and Step-father were here for a few months they gifted us a Weber Q120 that my brother had gifted them 5 years ago. Well at the time we had found a Weber Spirit on sale at Walmart for $289 but we decided to hold off and see how this one does.

I cleaned it up some as soon as we got it to bring it back to a good starting point since they have been using it rv-ing the whole time since they have had it with little maintenance being done. At the time I also painted the lid of it (which was tan) with some silver BBQ high heat paint, got a new cover for it and put on a full flowing regulator on it (the stock one limits it to much to get it hot enough, also when they first got it I hooked it directly into their gas line on the rv with a quick disconnect).

So far it has been working great for the price. I wish the cart was a little bit sturdier but other than that we plan on keeping it for a while. :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Re: What kind of grill do you use???

Post by CesarG » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:31 pm

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:41 pm

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:41 pm

I'm interested in a ceramic kamado grill (see my other thread), which I would use as my main grill. I used to be a Weber kettle snob, and those are great (have a Weber Performer which I don't actually use anymore), but chimney-lighting the charcoal takes time (and I don't do Match Light), and cleaning up ashes is something I don't love doing. I currently use a Weber Spirit gas grill for most of my grilling, which is OK--it's a fairly low-end Weber gas grill. My main issue with it is that there are definite cool spots on the grill, which have been there since new, but got worse after my dog knocked the grill over one day and I had to put it back together. Gas is convenient for sure, but boring, and charcoal is where it's at, both from a flavor and versatility standpoint (and I have a strong desire to smoke meats, which is something you can do on a Weber kettle, but it's certainly not the best tool for that job). I also own a Weber Smokey Joe and a Weber Go-Anywhere gas grill. These are both fairly mediocre. Yes, I love to grill. Another thing: across the board, prices on both gas and charcoal grills are ridiculous IMO.

Those Weber Qs seem to be really nice grills--nice and compact, and I almost bought one as our camping/vacation grill.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:42 pm

Webber Performer Elite - Charcoal with propane starter. We use only hardwood charcoal in it.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/performer
Last edited by andrema on Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrema

Post by andrema » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:43 pm

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:49 pm

kfalk wrote:Image
:headbang:

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:55 pm

I'm rockin' this mofo
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666519.548831.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:55 pm

dukerules wrote:I'm interested in a ceramic kamado grill (see my other thread), which I would use as my main grill. I used to be a Weber kettle snob, and those are great (have a Weber Performer which I don't actually use anymore), but chimney-lighting the charcoal takes time (and I don't do Match Light), and cleaning up ashes is something I don't love doing. I currently use a Weber Spirit gas grill for most of my grilling, which is OK--it's a fairly low-end Weber gas grill. My main issue with it is that there are definite cool spots on the grill, which have been there since new, but got worse after my dog knocked the grill over one day and I had to put it back together. Gas is convenient for sure, but boring, and charcoal is where it's at, both from a flavor and versatility standpoint (and I have a strong desire to smoke meats, which is something you can do on a Weber kettle, but it's certainly not the best tool for that job). I also own a Weber Smokey Joe and a Weber Go-Anywhere gas grill. These are both fairly mediocre. Yes, I love to grill. Another thing: across the board, prices on both gas and charcoal grills are ridiculous IMO.

Those Weber Qs seem to be really nice grills--nice and compact, and I almost bought one as our camping/vacation grill.
great info. we usually dont' have a bunch of time to use charcoal so we only stick with gas grills. but I have noticed with the Q120 so far it that it doesn't seem to have any cold or super hot spots. it seems to cook very even so far. i have some porkchops on it right now that I got from a local farmer that it seems to be cooking perfectly. :thumbsup:

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:15 pm

I just got done grilling some porkchops I source from a local farmer with the grill and they turned out great!! I heated it up to 400 and then browned some on each side, then turn the grill off and let the heat from the grill cook them the rest of the way. Oh and I brined them for 4 hours, they are perfect! :cheers:

unixshrk
This. Truth.
Name: Chris

Post by unixshrk » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:30 pm

jaw

Post by jaw » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:34 pm

Classic Weber, no frills. Cooks anything great.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:42 pm

Vermont Castings. Heaviest grill I have every seen with its cast iron sides, but damn if it doesn't get hot and heat evenly. I spent more on that grill than I ever had before, but it is 11 years old and still going strong.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:42 pm

My parents gave us a nice Weber Genesis as a house warming gift. I've been a charcoal snob for years, though and will probably but another 22" Weber kettle soon.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:51 pm

I'm lazy, propane for me. Weber Spirit 310. Has cooked great. Have wanted to try a Big Green Egg or the like but haven't put the man hours in for research or procurement.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:54 pm

unixshrk wrote:Image
what kind is it?

mbakes
Name: Mike

Post by mbakes » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:59 pm

Trager Texas Elite for smoking, Weber Genesis for pretty much everything else. I also have a Weber Performer Premium which a neighbor gave me that does not get much use, something I need to change.

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:34 pm

Once I settle down, I'm definitely getting a green egg. I had a custom island put in with a hard gas line grill when I built the house, but after tasting stuff cooked on an egg, there's no reason to do anything else.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:49 pm

Grills are like watches and cars. Spend as much as you're comfortable with. They all get the job done.
The Hapa

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:54 pm

HapaHapa wrote:Grills are like watches and cars. Spend as much as you're comfortable with. They all get the job done.
And strippers.

Danny_T
The T is for Tacky
Name: Danny

Post by Danny_T » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:00 pm

Napoleon built in full SS grill. 90,000 BTU baby!

Natural gas line all plumbed underground to it and side burner. No more propane tanks to fill :)

[img]//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/07 ... 51f511.jpg[/img]

[img]//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/07 ... 912a9f.jpg[/img]

With built in smoke tray

[img]//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/07 ... abca4c.jpg[/img]

And BGW9 SL controls and nighttime grilling lights :) :)

[img]//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/07 ... 7abce3.jpg[/img]

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:07 pm

^^^super nice Danny!

BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Name: Vladimir

Post by BBK357 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:42 pm

My parents have used Weber gas for years.

I have a char-griller w the dual smoke stacks and a burner on the side. Love it.
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:45 pm

Pfffttttt
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

andrema

Post by andrema » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:51 pm

The party that I went to today had one of these: