Coolers

Where did you get that man purse?
CGSshorty
Admin

Re: Coolers

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:56 pm

My coolers primarily get used in the sand next to the Atlantic. Any metal parts turn to shit quickly.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:28 pm

CGSshorty wrote:My coolers primarily get used in the sand next to the Atlantic. Any metal parts turn to shit quickly.
Sounds like you need a Bison, Yeti, or Orca cooler.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:03 pm

zepp21 wrote:
CGSshorty wrote:My coolers primarily get used in the sand next to the Atlantic. Any metal parts turn to shit quickly.
Sounds like you need a Bison, Yeti, or Orca cooler.
I just buy a new Coleman every few years.
David St. Hubbins

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:12 pm

I need to toss some coolers. They're all old and don't seal anymore. No seal, no ice.

goaliechris
Name: Chris

Post by goaliechris » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:25 pm

Yeti 30 oz Rambler. Filled it up with some ice and water at 2:30. 7:23 and the ice is still there, still large. And I've filled it up 3 times with water.

5 hours and counting. Pretty impressive.

T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Post by T.R. » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:25 am

smalls wrote:So for those who have them, does it actually hold ice longer?

I have that exact Yeti 45 cooler. My family got it for me as a gift because I'm too cheap to buy one. Is it worth the money? That is a question like asking if a certain watch is worth the money. I think that in the long run, yes, it has been worth the money.

All the parts are replaceable and easily found. A hinge breaks, replace it. You want a bottle opener... buy one and screw it to the outside. You want wheels.... you can find wheels. It has killer little rubber feet that keep it from sliding around in your truck bed. You can stand on it, sit on it, and I have even seen one of my dumbass friend peel out hauling ass to dust us out on the trails and dump his on the ground doing about 25 and it was unhurt.

Does it actually hold ice longer? No, it does not if you use it like a regular cooler - constantly opening and shutting it. Yes, it does hold ice longer if you keep it closed.

One drawback is how heavy they are. They are not easily hauled around by hand.

I use mine as kind of a main cooler for the most part. I put my ice and drinks in it and I utilize a secondary cooler to move the cold stuff into for constant use and quick transport.

I will say... they are very nice to have around. Mainly because you can use it to sit on while out hanging around and bullshitting.

I also bought the Yeti cable lock system so it won't get jacked out of my truck bed. You can cable lock the cooler itself onto anything that won't move and in turn cable lock the lid shut. It's a fantastic addition.

I will also add that the Yeti branded steel insulated cups look like a rip off at $30. But, they work better than any insulated cup I have ever had. The lid is super bad ass and seals to the cup with a double rubber O ring. It will hold ice for a day.

+

+

+

Boom. Add stickers to cooler from everywhere you go and there you have it.

unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:45 am

Cheaper and better made Pelican coolers
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pelican-32-35 ... ./21804288

Saw one in Costco for $230.00 a 60QT if Costco would of had a smaller one would of bought it they were well made and the latches snap will easy to shut and had steal reinforced hole to put a pad lock a few things the over priced yeti don't have. Here is the one I saw at Costco in brown color not the white 230.00 was not a bad price just a little big for my use.
http://www.costco.com/.product.10007374 ... loedViewCP

braeburn
Name: Jeff

Post by braeburn » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:21 am

Yeti 65 for me. My experience is that they do indeed keep ice longer and things colder. The biggest reason for my purchase was durability.

I've stood on mine as a quick step-stool on a job.... at 270lbs. Not even a sigh from it. It rides in the back of the truck everyday getting tossed around and stuff thrown on it from chain saws, to chains, quick saws, rebar, concrete bags, you name it. Its still here. I went through three cheaper coolers in one summer season.

Guys are opening and closing it numerous times during the day. Stuff stays cold and the hinge stays on it.

Last summer when our refrigerator went condenser up after 17 years, our family of 5 lived out of it for a week.

I think all of the similar brands would do well in that use. Would I buy one for weekend camping trips? Probably not. Too heavy when loaded.
Beaver? It's a damn badger - it even says so on the poster....
Gordo.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:34 am

braeburn wrote:Yeti 65 for me. My experience is that they do indeed keep ice longer and things colder. The biggest reason for my purchase was durability.

I've stood on mine as a quick step-stool on a job.... at 270lbs. Not even a sigh from it. It rides in the back of the truck everyday getting tossed around and stuff thrown on it from chain saws, to chains, quick saws, rebar, concrete bags, you name it. Its still here. I went through three cheaper coolers in one summer season.

Guys are opening and closing it numerous times during the day. Stuff stays cold and the hinge stays on it.

Last summer when our refrigerator went condenser up after 17 years, our family of 5 lived out of it for a week.

I think all of the similar brands would do well in that use. Would I buy one for weekend camping trips? Probably not. Too heavy when loaded.
Yeti's are built for this kind of abuse. :rock:

Recoil Rob
Name: Recoil Rob

Post by Recoil Rob » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:19 pm

When fishing (Northeast saltwater) we use Yeti's, Engles, etc. just to keep ice frozen. A 45qt will hold 4 bags of ice for 4 days on average. when we need to keep the catch fresh we will put ice from the Yetis into an igloo until we get back to shore. I tend to view them as part of a system.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemingway

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:29 pm

I just searched for Yeti coolers. Wow! Do any of you have a source for them?
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:41 pm

Dicks

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:07 am

The Yetis are heavy, but not as heavy as a comparable Pelican. My next cooler will most likely be a Yeti. I am still cross shopping Brute as well.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:31 am

andrema wrote:Dicks
They have 20% off coupons in the newspaper all the time.
David St. Hubbins

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:20 pm

Not a cooler per say but I picked up a couple of the insulated cups this past week at the beach and they really work great. They hold ice all day and don't sweat all over the place. A little expensive for a cup at $30-40 but I haven't stopped using mine since I got it and haven't found anything that works quite this well to date. If the coolers hold ice like the cup I should try and pick one up.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:17 pm

I wanted badly to get one of their soft sided cooler bags for the beach at Gulf Shores last weekend. The skirt would not have any of it. Opted instead for some cheap shit Tommy Bahama bullshit cooler. The ice was completely melted in the first hour at the beach. My sister brought some brand name hard sided cooler that worked fine for about an hour and a half in the shade of the Sunbrella (awesome by the way). Bottom line: I wish we had splurged for the Yeti :raised: (read: I wish my wife would let me buy one).
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:52 pm

Try stopping at a grocery and looking for dry ice. Throw it on top wrapped in butcher paper and the ice will last much longer in a cheap cooler.
The Hapa

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:17 pm

I like cold beer, but three fiddy for a soft cooler is no bueno.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:38 pm

kfalk wrote:I like cold beer, but three fiddy for a soft cooler is no bueno.

Well that price tag at Cabela's (which is literally around the corner from where we live...a very bad thing), didn't help much. Even the smaller version at $250 was a bit much.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:48 pm

Just bought a 30 quart Igloo cooler at Academy Sports for $20 for our Pensacola Beach trip. My old Igloo had always worked for me at the beach, but I needed more beer capacity.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:51 pm

59yukon01 wrote:Just bought a 30 quart Igloo cooler at Academy Sports for $20 for our Pensacola Beach trip. My old Igloo had always worked for me at the beach, but I needed more beer capacity.

Beer capacity is king. Nothing worse than running out of beer at the beach, and then having to find your sandals covered in sand and run your half-drunk ass back to the room for more beer. That's :bs:

Pensacola, huh? Not that far from where we were just a week ago. :salute: Have a good one and hit me up when you get back. We need to track down Mark, too, and get a mini river city GTG going. ;)

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:01 pm

I'll be buying a Brute (I forget their old name) soon.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:10 pm

BSears wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:Just bought a 30 quart Igloo cooler at Academy Sports for $20 for our Pensacola Beach trip. My old Igloo had always worked for me at the beach, but I needed more beer capacity.

Beer capacity is king. Nothing worse than running out of beer at the beach, and then having to find your sandals covered in sand and run your half-drunk ass back to the room for more beer. That's :bs:

Pensacola, huh? Not that far from where we were just a week ago. :salute: Have a good one and hit me up when you get back. We need to track down Mark, too, and get a mini river city GTG going. ;)
Yeah I'll need to detox a little when I get back after 7 days of boozing and beach life, but that sounds like a plan.

kfalk
Old Chub
Name: Kelly

Post by kfalk » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:19 pm

zepp21 wrote:I'll be buying a Brute (I forget their old name) soon.
Hai Karate?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod

Post by BSears » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:20 pm

...by Faberge