Seppia wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:11 am
$300 cooler bags?
Wow

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Re: Coolers

Post by Chocodove » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:39 pm

As ridiculous as a $300+ cooler sounds, it's no more ridiculous than 99% of the watches discussed on this forum when you look at the grand scheme of things ;)

That being said, I ordered an RTIC after reading many reviews that put them as equals, if not better, than Yeti. Thanks for the tip, Rob.
- Todd

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:02 pm

Chocodove wrote:As ridiculous as a $300+ cooler sounds, it's no more ridiculous than 99% of the watches discussed on this forum when you look at the grand scheme of things ;)

That being said, I ordered an RTIC after reading many reviews that put them as equals, if not better, than Yeti. Thanks for the tip, Rob.
FYI, I believe RTIC and Yet just settled a lawsuit so I'm not sure how much longer they'll be around.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:09 pm

zepp21 wrote:
Chocodove wrote:As ridiculous as a $300+ cooler sounds, it's no more ridiculous than 99% of the watches discussed on this forum when you look at the grand scheme of things ;)

FYI, I believe RTIC and Yet just settled a lawsuit so I'm not sure how much longer they'll be around.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
As I understand it (from my one night of intense research, so could be wrong), it had to do with the look and marketing of RTIC's products. They've since redesigned the aesthetics so they are not 1:1 copies and no longer directly compare themselves to Yeti in marketing materials.
- Todd

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:15 pm

Keeps the ice, half the price.

I have rtic and yeti. Love them both. Every time I look at yetis again they seem to be getting cheaper. So I'm glad RTIC at least made some competition for them price wise.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:22 pm

nweash wrote:Keeps the ice, half the price.

I have rtic and yeti. Love them both. Every time I look at yetis again they seem to be getting cheaper. So I'm glad RTIC at least made some competition for them price wise.
Interesting. They are never on sale here and the prices seem to be nutty.

I did notice that RTIC no longer has direct comparisons to yeti on their site. I didn't know about the lawsuit, but it was just a matter of time.

Keep us posted on the RTIC cooler. Interested in your thoughts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:45 pm

I have both Yeti and RTIC products. I see no quality difference.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:56 pm

So unless you're going to be somewhere of the grid, no stores around to buy ice for days, I can maybe see paying a Yeti price. Other than that I don't get it, so am I missing something?

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:57 pm

As far as tumblers I have several of each and see no difference. All made in China, probably at the same place

nweash

Post by nweash » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:04 pm

The newer colored yetis are done very well aesthetically and quality wise. Worth the extra coin IMO.

I bought a few of the old colored ones from Rtic. They were painted and you could see the uneven finish at the lip.

Only advantage I've seen between the two brands if that even matters to you.

Swooped this off RTIC Facebook:

New lids going to be darker to help block the sun, and also spill proof. Taper is more fluid now. They got rid of the YETI style logo for the big R with bear inside.

ItnStln

Post by ItnStln » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:55 pm

nweash wrote:The newer colored yetis are done very well aesthetically and quality wise. Worth the extra coin IMO.

I bought a few of the old colored ones from Rtic. They were painted and you could see the uneven finish at the lip.

New lids going to be darker to help block the sun, and also spill proof. Taper is more fluid now. They got rid of the YETI style logo for the big R with bear inside.

How long did your Yeti and Rtic do keeping drinks cold?

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:00 pm

ItnStln wrote:
nweash wrote:The newer colored yetis are done very well aesthetically and quality wise. Worth the extra coin IMO.

With enough ice both keep drinks cold all day. I left my 50 oz. Yeti full of ice water in my truck for 7 hours on a 90° day. When I got back the Yeti was hot on the outside but the water was ice cold.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

nweash

Post by nweash » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:03 pm

I've had the ice last overnight. A bunch of variables can affect it. There's people that test the two brands on YouTube if you're bored enough.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:06 pm

These are premium products. Note necessary for all uses, but on day 2 of camping in 90 degree heat, I'd pay anything to have my beer cold and my bacon fresh.

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:21 pm

nweash wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:04 pm
The newer colored yetis are done very well aesthetically and quality wise. Worth the extra coin IMO.

So is RTIC a homage to Yeti, or a flagrant rip off :stir:

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Flagrant rip off, but a very solid product.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:06 pm

They seem like complete rip offs, which I actually struggle with. However, if they are functionally the exact same...that's a lot of extra money to pay for principles. :shrug:
- Todd

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:10 pm

dukerules wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:52 pm
In that case, how are these any different than buying fake watches?

:popcorn:

:banplz:

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:18 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
dukerules wrote:

I knew we'd get here :)

Fake watches are not functionally the same as what they're faking, i.e a 3135 in a Rolex is obviously far superior to an Chinese ETA clone in a fake, but an RTIC can keep shit cold to the exact same standards (and better in some tests) as a Yeti. I guess? Kinda? Maybe?

Really I got nothing. Morals go out the window when I'm considering $350 coolers. :lol:

Also, screw this thread. I had no idea I "needed" a high end cooler until browsing this :). Although it will come I handy for those times when I am in the woods for days.
- Todd

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:22 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:18 pm
streetracer101 wrote:
dukerules wrote:

Fake watches are not functionally the same as what they're faking, i.e a 3135 in a Rolex is obviously far superior to an Chinese ETA clone in a fake, but an RTIC can keep shit cold to the exact same standards (and better in some tests) as a Yeti. I guess? Kinda? Maybe?

Really I got nothing. Morals go out the window when I'm considering $350 coolers. :lol:

Also, screw this thread. I had no idea I "needed" a high end cooler until browsing this :). Although it will come I handy for those times when I am in the woods for days.
I am just as guilty seeing how I have a RTIC tumbler. I guess most of us are hypocrites in the end...just depends when it is convenient/justified :oops:

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:48 pm

I don't know anything about coolers but for tumblers Yeti tumblers are made in the same stainless steel tumbler factory in China, Zhejiang Zhuosheng Industry & Trade Co, as the others including Ozark (Wal-Mart brand). So to me personally it's not fair to compare these tumblers to Rolex and fake MIC Rolex. More like a rebranded identical product. Not that I condone such practices but if Rolex made the same Sub with a sterile dial or call it Ozark and sold it for 75% less than a Rolex branded Sub, I'd be tempted :)

Edit: of course I don't know how much $ Yeti spent on R&D before they found that Chinese manufacturer so that's probably why they're pissed off and suing

streetracer101

Post by streetracer101 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:56 pm

Panerai7 wrote:I don't know anything about coolers but for tumblers Yeti tumblers are made in the same stainless steel tumbler factory in China, Zhejiang Zhuosheng Industry & Trade Co, as the others including Ozark (Wal-Mart brand). So to me personally it's not fair to compare these tumblers to Rolex and fake MIC Rolex. More like a rebranded identical product. Not that I condone such practices but if Rolex made the same Sub with a sterile dial or call it Ozark and sold it for 75% less than a Rolex branded Sub, I'd be tempted :)

Edit: of course I don't know how much $ Yeti spent on R&D before they found that Chinese manufacturer so that's probably why they're pissed off and suing
Damn. I thought all yeti stuff was made in America. I learn something new everyday.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:59 pm

streetracer101 wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:I don't know anything about coolers but for tumblers Yeti tumblers are made in the same stainless steel tumbler factory in China, Zhejiang Zhuosheng Industry & Trade Co, as the others including Ozark (Wal-Mart brand). So to me personally it's not fair to compare these tumblers to Rolex and fake MIC Rolex. More like a rebranded identical product. Not that I condone such practices but if Rolex made the same Sub with a sterile dial or call it Ozark and sold it for 75% less than a Rolex branded Sub, I'd be tempted :)

Damn. I thought all yeti stuff was made in America. I learn something new everyday.

It's a combo of China, Philippines, and the US depending on the product.
- Todd

ItnStln

Post by ItnStln » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:35 am

CGSshorty wrote:
ItnStln wrote:

With enough ice both keep drinks cold all day. I left my 50 oz. Yeti full of ice water in my truck for 7 hours on a 90° day. When I got back the Yeti was hot on the outside but the water was ice cold.
nweash wrote:I've had the ice last overnight. A bunch of variables can affect it. There's people that test the two brands on YouTube if you're bored enough.
Thanks for your answers gentlemen! I typically don't check YouTube reviews as I'm not sure how legit they are. It seems like some reviews are commercials for the product they're reviewing. But I'll check out both the Yeti and Rtic, thanks!

ItnStln

Post by ItnStln » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:37 am

Chocodove wrote:
streetracer101 wrote:
dukerules wrote:

Really I got nothing. Morals go out the window when I'm considering $350 coolers. Image

Agreed