Question about Alden longwings

Where did you get that man purse?
CoachH
Name: Joe

Question about Alden longwings

Post by CoachH » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:52 pm

I have convinced myself that I need a shell cordovan longwing shoe and really like Alden's version.

I have Allen Edmond's longwing (MacNeil in Walnut color) and like the fit of this last. Do any of you guys know how the Alden fit would be in comparison to AE 97 last? Any other suggestions for a shell cordovan longwing? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Re: Question about Alden longwings

Post by JBZ » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:04 pm

I have a pair and I love them, but I've never compared them to AE's. It's a heavy, substantial shoe on the Barrie last. I find that last fits me pretty well, but others claim they've had problems.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:07 pm

The most comfortable shoe I own. Looking for a shell pair.
Last edited by aikiman44 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:17 pm

I own a pair of Alden LWBs in shell color #8. I have no experience with the AE lasts, but the Barrie last is a tough fit for many people. It is wide and roomy, and you'll have to size down at least 1/2 size, and even then, many have trouble with a good fit. The flip side is that they look fantastic (and if you can get past the QC issues that seem to plague Alden and get a good pair). The other issue is color. Alden 975s in color #8 and black are plentiful, but they can be tough to find in other shell colors (cigar, ravello, and whiskey). Heads up-The Shoe Mart just got some whiskey and cigars in...which won't last long.

Apart from AE and Alden, I don't think there are too many makers offering longwings in shell. I believe Trickers and Vass do, though.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Re: Question about Alden longwins

Post by Jeep99dad » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:37 pm

Im in the same boat. Have a pair of MacNeils and love that last. So comfortable and roomy. Heavy shoe yet love it.
I'm going to go to the local Alden AD whenever I can make it during their open hours :) to try them on before investing in a pair.

I was also curious to know how the Æ MacNeil shell Leather compared to the Alden #8 Leather.
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

CoachH

Post by CoachH » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:43 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:Im in the same boat. Have a pair of MacNeils and love that last. So comfortable and roomy. Heavy shoe yet love it.
I'm going to go to the local Alden AD whenever I can make it during their open hours :) to try them on before investing in a pair.

I was also curious to know how the Æ MacNeil shell Leather compared to the Alden #8 Leather.
I would be interested in your impressions of how the Alden's fit compared to the AE MacNeils. I would like to try them on in person as well, but the closest AD is a four hour drive.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:43 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:Im in the same boat. Have a pair of MacNeils and love that last. So comfortable and roomy. Heavy shoe yet love it.

Is there an Alden AD in CLT? If you can get your foot measured and try on a few pairs for size, that's the way to go. I learned that I wear a size 11D in the Barrie (normally an 11.5 or 12) the hard way.

CoachH

Post by CoachH » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:45 pm

dukerules wrote:I own a pair of Alden LWBs in shell color #8. I have no experience with the AE lasts, but the Barrie last is a tough fit for many people. It is wide and roomy, and you'll have to size down at least 1/2 size, and even then, many have trouble with a good fit. The flip side is that they look fantastic (and if you can get past the QC issues that seem to plague Alden and get a good pair). The other issue is color. Alden 975s in color #8 and black are plentiful, but they can be tough to find in other shell colors (cigar, ravello, and whiskey). Heads up-The Shoe Mart just got some whiskey and cigars in...which won't last long.

Apart from AE and Alden, I don't think there are too many makers offering longwings in shell. I believe Trickers and Vass do, though.
Thanks. The Shoe Mart is where I got the picture of the cigar colored LWB's.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:56 pm

I would think the shell would be comparable, since it all comes from Horween as far as I know. Some of the Alden fanatics will try to convince you that Alden's shell is better, but I think that's mostly puffery. No doubt Alden has more experience working with shell, but AE has been doing several models in shell for years now.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:57 pm

CoachH wrote:
dukerules wrote:I own a pair of Alden LWBs in shell color #8. I have no experience with the AE lasts, but the Barrie last is a tough fit for many people. It is wide and roomy, and you'll have to size down at least 1/2 size, and even then, many have trouble with a good fit. The flip side is that they look fantastic (and if you can get past the QC issues that seem to plague Alden and get a good pair). The other issue is color. Alden 975s in color #8 and black are plentiful, but they can be tough to find in other shell colors (cigar, ravello, and whiskey). Heads up-The Shoe Mart just got some whiskey and cigars in...which won't last long.

Shoe Mart is a great store - you'd do well to purchase from them. I wouldn't be surprised if both Trickers and Vass did a version of the longwing - they're both known for their substantial shoes.

CoachH

Post by CoachH » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:11 pm

JBZ wrote:
CoachH wrote:

Shoe Mart is a great store - you'd do well to purchase from them. I wouldn't be surprised if both Trickers and Vass did a version of the longwing - they're both known for their substantial shoes.
The Shoe Mart is already out of my size in the cigar color! I should have bought them earlier. :crybaby:

JonSnow
Name: Ian

Post by JonSnow » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:00 pm

Call the Alden shop in SF. I have some on the way from the factory in a 10E. They ordered whatever I wanted special, same price.

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:14 pm

dukerules wrote:

Is there an Alden AD in CLT? If you can get your foot measured and try on a few pairs for size, that's the way to go. I learned that I wear a size 11D in the Barrie (normally an 11.5 or 12) the hard way.
Yeah. There is one store. It's just south of uptown
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

jtbenson
Name: jason

Post by jtbenson » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:17 pm

if i wear a 10.5c in indy boot, what size/width longwing would that translate to?

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:23 pm

jtbenson wrote:if i wear a 10.5c in indy boot, what size/width longwing would that translate to?
I am a 10D in the Indy and a 10.5D in the longwing. Take it for what it's worth.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:35 pm

jtbenson wrote:if i wear a 10.5c in indy boot, what size/width longwing would that translate to?
Jason, I'm an 11D in both the Trubalance and Barrie lasts.

JonSnow
Name: Ian

Post by JonSnow » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:06 am

Follow up- my 10E Barrie Long wings have shown me the light. I now realize that every other AE and Ferragamo show I have is too narrow and now hate wearing any of them. Next stop for me will be the plain toe blucher in Barrie last with flex sole for a little more comfort on long airport days and a barrie wingtip boot in brown CXL. Oh, and finding a new, narrow footed home for the AE's.

Harrym71

Post by Harrym71 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:43 pm

JonSnow wrote:Follow up- my 10E Barrie Long wings have shown me the light. I now realize that every other AE and Ferragamo show I have is too narrow and now hate wearing any of them. Next stop for me will be the plain toe blucher in Barrie last with flex sole for a little more comfort on long airport days and a barrie wingtip boot in brown CXL. Oh, and finding a new, narrow footed home for the AE's.
Whatever you do, don't try on their suede. I now have three pair of suede Alden's. Their suede is fantastic.

You've been warned. :mrgreen:
The current rotation
Tissot PRC 100
Stowa Flieger Automatic
MKII Nassau
Seiko SKX009
Karlskrona Baltic Shield G025/300