Denim

Where did you get that man purse?
T.R.
TRTV!
Name: Tommy Tutone

Re: Denim

Post by T.R. » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:33 pm

dnslater wrote:I like how one of the first posts on this thread called $100-$200 "mid priced jeans" and nobody questioned it.

DWC Rollers FTW.

No shit.

I buy my Wranglers at Walmark for $15 and they last about five years. Mid priced is jumping up to $35 for Levi's.

The more I wash it the better it looks. Right up to the day it rips in the crotch.

I sell selvedge denim and it does indeed come from Cone Mills.

I never knew so many dudes were into denim like this. :scratch:
unixshrk wrote: I'll put it on a nice NATO for you. :shifty:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:40 pm

T.R. wrote:
dnslater wrote:I like how one of the first posts on this thread called $100-$200 "mid priced jeans" and nobody questioned it.

DWC Rollers FTW.

No shit.

I buy my Wranglers at Walmark for $15 and they last about five years. Mid priced is jumping up to $35 for Levi's.

The more I wash it the better it looks. Right up to the day it rips in the crotch.

I actually just started buying Wranglers at Target and am VERY happy with them. I was buying normal stuff from J.Crew and the like before. I think I'm gonna stick to Target for now. :)
:htfu:

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:53 pm

matt.wu wrote:
T.R. wrote:

DWC Rollers FTW.

No shit.

I actually just started buying Wranglers at Target and am VERY happy with them. I was buying normal stuff from J.Crew and the like before. I think I'm gonna stick to Target for now. :)
Have you tried Levi 501s? If you're feeling really ballsy, go for their shrink to fit.

CesarG
Mexican
Name: Cesar

Post by CesarG » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:55 pm

www.rpmwest.com has a cool deal going on right now. Japanese raw selvedge denim, and stitched here in Los Angeles.

T.R.
TRTV!

Post by T.R. » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:10 pm

matt.wu wrote:
T.R. wrote:

DWC Rollers FTW.

No shit.

:thumbsup:

I have a 17 year old daughter who is a junior in high school who buys $600 prom dresses to wear one time with my blessing. That does not include the shoes. I have a 21 year old in college who seems to think he is personally rich and who works like a mo fo NOT to have a job. Four cars and a motorcycle to keep fueled, insured and running. (Thankfully all paid for - and as such will be driven into the dirt.) And I have a watch and knife habit that makes a heroin addict look like he's good people. Over $20 for blue jeans for me is OUT, baby!

ymmv.

:htfu: I love this guy. :clap:

T.R.
TRTV!

Post by T.R. » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:19 pm

One last interesting tid bit on blue jeans....

When I was a kid I worked at a place here called Waco Apparel. All they made was blue jeans. That's it. They'd take the denim, stack it 50 swatches thick and start cutting the patterns out for the various sizes. Then they'd sew the pieces together without back pockets and store shit piles of every size imaginable in a huge warehouse with no back pockets.

In would come an order for Levi's, or Wranglers, or Tough Skins (old days... mid 1980's). Whatever. The piece work ladies would have us go grab the required number of jeans for the order and they'd sew on whatever pocket was appropriate, staple the paper tag to the back and box them and off they went.

They were all the same. :popcorn:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:28 pm

T.R. wrote:

DWC Rollers FTW.

No shit.

The funny thing is that women are into nice jeans in the sense that they look good and are trendy. Most don't care about selvedge or other features of construction. The majority of denim geeks are guys and are obsessive about construction and type of denim. It's sort of like how a lot of us are about watches.

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:32 pm

I like quality things. But I was out as soon as it was said the dye could rub off. Quality is more than just construction and location to me. I don't want my damn jeans rubbing off on stuff. :)

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:33 pm

The thing is, the selvedge raw denim jeans that cost so much now were basically what you got back in the day when you bought Levis STFs 501s, Lees, Wranglers, etc. The LVC 1947 501s that cost $250 now are essentially a faithful repro of the original (and a lot of the Japanese selvedge/raw denim wave started off as an attempt to recreate these classic jeans before Levis et al did). It's not that much of the high-end stuff is necessarily special, fancy, or different, it's just that the everyman jeans you get today for $20-50 bucks are a far inferior product (from a construction and materials standpoint) to the price-equivalent jeans you could buy into the early 90s.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:36 pm

^^^tis true.

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:37 pm

I can't picture M@ in Wranglers.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

CesarG
Mexican

Post by CesarG » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:03 pm

lilhoody wrote:I can't picture M@ in Wranglers.

Matt in Wranglers

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:55 pm

Want a selfie? :mrgreen:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:47 pm

M@ I hope those wrangler's have pockets on the back and not MOM jueans

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:26 pm

Matt wears wranglers and drives a car that is worth significantly less than his pelican case. :fro:

CesarG
Mexican

Post by CesarG » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:30 pm

His car is worth less than his Wranglers

lilhoody
Black Darin

Post by lilhoody » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:04 pm

How about M@ in these nut huggers?
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:12 pm

Am I supposed to put a crease in them? I never knew! Time to get out the iron. :)

lilhoody
Black Darin

Post by lilhoody » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:50 pm

matt.wu wrote:Am I supposed to put a crease in them? I never knew! Time to get out the iron. :)
You'll need more than an iron.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

poppydog
aka Nelldog
Name: Steve

Post by poppydog » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:09 am

Serious question (I know, I'm a Brit :oops: ): is it true that actual cowboys wear Wrangler and not Levis?
Regards

Steve

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:27 am

matt.wu wrote:I like quality things. But I was out as soon as it was said the dye could rub off. Quality is more than just construction and location to me. I don't want my damn jeans rubbing off on stuff. :)
Yeah, big deal breaker for me too. If my jeans started rubbing off on the red leather or cream leather seats of my other car, I'd flip out. I doubt all that would come out of the lighter cream seats for sure.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:19 am

matt.wu wrote:Am I supposed to put a crease in them? I never knew! Time to get out the iron. :)
Absolutely on the creases. Also, see if you can find some jeans with pleats. Sooo cool.

CoachH
Name: Joe

Post by CoachH » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:30 am

About $40 is the most I have ever spent on jeans. My wife ran across a sale at Dillard's ten or twelve years ago and bought me 5 pairs of some sort of silver tab Levis that fit well and have held up well. All five were a little over a $100. I don't even know if they make this style anymore.

I only wear jeans once or twice a month though. I wear cargo or under armour shorts for casual wear.

CoachH
Name: Joe

Post by CoachH » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:37 am

poppydog wrote:Serious question (I know, I'm a Brit :oops: ): is it true that actual cowboys wear Wrangler and not Levis?

For the most part, yes. Lots of real cowboys and ranchers around my part of Texas, and typically they wear Wranglers.

CesarG
Mexican

Post by CesarG » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:21 pm

These were made for Terry and the gang.

Raw, selvedge denim. Button fly. Check out the crotch rivet! Old school. Imagine the look on these after a year without a wash!