Re: Denim

Post by dukerules » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:28 am

Those look amazing, Cesar.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:14 am

Wife bought me a pair of selvedge jeans from GAP. The color looks great, but they're stiff (I still wear them, they look great). I know you're supposed to wash them only when necessary (I've already read of various washing methods), but what I don't understand is that in the fabric care label from the jeans, it says to dry clean them. Ever heard of this? Is this recommended to not damage the color/fade?

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:27 am

Joeprez wrote:Wife bought me a pair of selvedge jeans from GAP. I cut them off to make short shorts, because, well, I love the look. The color looks great and they get dudes stiff (I still wear them, they look great). I know you're supposed to wash them only when necessary (I've already read of various washing methods), but what I don't understand is that in the fabric care label from the jeans, it says to dry clean them. I prefer to leave them on all the time, like Tobias Funke.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458052035.129322.jpg
We call that behavior "never nude"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:48 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Joeprez wrote:Wife bought me a pair of selvedge jeans from GAP. I cut them off to make short shorts, because, well, I love the look. The color looks great and they get dudes stiff (I still wear them, they look great). I know you're supposed to wash them only when necessary (I've already read of various washing methods), but what I don't understand is that in the fabric care label from the jeans, it says to dry clean them. I prefer to leave them on all the time, like Tobias Funke.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458052035.129322.jpg
We call that behavior "never nude"
Cut off jean shorts! :lol:
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

jswing
Founder, TDWC MM300 Fan Club
Name: Jeff

Post by jswing » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:55 am

I'm not sure how I stumbled across this thread, but I did, and I learned something new today. I had no idea that raw denim jeans even existed, or that people went to such great lengths to get the fit, color, fading, etc that they want. Wow. I'm kind of impressed, and at the same time kind of think it's a little nuts. But whatever makes you happy, it's no stranger than a watch obsession. Those jeans Cesar just posted do look awesome, I'm just not that committed. I may buy a pair of selvedge 501s though, but if I do I'm going to wash them. And I'm not sitting in a tub for 2 hours while they mold to my body. But damn, this is fascinating!

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:06 am

lilhoody wrote:Bad ass! Clip your knife to either low hanging front facing pocket and you will surely strike fear into any would be attacker.

How did I miss these?

"Business in the front, party in the back™"
:excited:

koda240
Hot Legs!
Name: David

Post by koda240 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:51 am

I have always considered myself up to snuff on good clothing and such. Especially as it relates to shoes and dress clothes, but the whole denim thing was completely new to me as of a year or so ago. I had no idea people spent big money for pants that they wouldn't wash. Personally, I think that's gross. You sit on shit, spill shit, fart, sweat, etc. I'm obsessed with clean clothes. I actually bought a pair of selvedge and wash it after very one or two wears. They look fine to me but I bet the Jean fanatics are laughing at me.

jswing

Post by jswing » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:00 am

koda240 wrote:I have always considered myself up to snuff on good clothing and such. Especially as it relates to shoes and dress clothes, but the whole denim thing was completely new to me as of a year or so ago. I had no idea people spent big money for pants that they wouldn't wash. Personally, I think that's gross. You sit on shit, spill shit, fart, sweat, etc. I'm obsessed with clean clothes. I actually bought a pair of selvedge and wash it after very one or two wears. They look fine to me but I bet the Jean fanatics are laughing at me.
Unless I mis-read, selvedge fabric isn't necessarily meant to not be washed. Isn't that just a higher end fabric? I think it's just the raw denim you're not supposed to wash. I'll never not wash my clothes, no matter how hip.

blowfish89

Post by blowfish89 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:04 am

I thought this thread was about watchstraps, I just had a great denim rolled canvas come in.

blowfish89

Post by blowfish89 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:06 am

I do have one pair of Japanese 'Kaihara' selvedge denim jeans (whatever dafuq that means)

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:09 am

jswing wrote:
koda240 wrote:I have always considered myself up to snuff on good clothing and such. Especially as it relates to shoes and dress clothes, but the whole denim thing was completely new to me as of a year or so ago. I had no idea people spent big money for pants that they wouldn't wash. Personally, I think that's gross. You sit on shit, spill shit, fart, sweat, etc. I'm obsessed with clean clothes. I actually bought a pair of selvedge and wash it after very one or two wears. They look fine to me but I bet the Jean fanatics are laughing at me.
Unless I mis-read, selvedge fabric isn't necessarily meant to not be washed. Isn't that just a higher end fabric? I think it's just the raw denim you're not supposed to wash. I'll never not wash my clothes, no matter how hip.
I have a 25-year old pair of Filson Double Tins that have never been washed. It would ruin the waxed finish. As they are they're damned near waterproof.

The whole denim cult leaves me bewildered though.
Last edited by marchone on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
only accurate watches are interesting

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:09 am

I've heard these stories of not washing jeans, but I find that disgusting, not cool.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:46 am

I don't like to wear my jeans a second time without washing but usually have to because laundry isn't done. Extended wear without washing? F that.
The Hapa

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:40 pm

You think the hipster Jean thing is disgusting, try not washing your epic beard for a year.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:45 pm

There some dude on the net that wore his for a year with out washing them to break them in. That is sick!!! I wear mine about 2-3 times before I wash them.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:57 pm

Alright...who has tried Gustin?

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:01 pm

I wear my jeans until they have a nut sack imprint in them

Selym
Name: Myles

Post by Selym » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:01 pm

jswing wrote:Unless I mis-read, selvedge fabric isn't necessarily meant to not be washed. Isn't that just a higher end fabric? I think it's just the raw denim you're not supposed to wash. I'll never not wash my clothes, no matter how hip.
"Selvedge/selvage" refers to how the fabric is finished at the edge ("self edge"). In general, there's no reason why you shouldn't wash selvedged fabric.

I wash my jeans in the machine, in cold water, with detergent, whenever needed. Eventually they fade and fray, and I get new ones. I thought everybody did that.

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Some big denim maker recently wrote that there's no problem washing denim. That the accumulated dirt actually damages the fibers. Drying, however, is another thing.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Name: J

Post by aikiman44 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:11 pm

I have a bunch if Gustin jeans. Some are great, some not so great. The sizing is off from pair to pair, as is the quality. They offer some nice different types of denim, but you take your chances.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer

Post by JBZ » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:21 pm

If you want the contrast fading that Cesar has, you can't wash them very often. That's why the dry cleaning suggestion. I agree that not cleaning your jeans regularly is pretty gross.

Also, all jeans used to come with raw denim and were shrink to fit.

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:57 pm

cali kid wrote:Was thinking the same thing Matt, these jean are fading but not in the washer! I figured besides your legs being blue ( or whatever color you choose) that the dye is getting on everything from car seats, office chair to the wife's furniture.... Think i'lll stick with Levi's & Ralph Lauren.... Oh Yeah, and wash them.... :shrug: but I'm an old fart so what do I know.. :raised:
Levis 501's worn them since college. Wash them and wear them until they wear out. But I'm an old fart too :shrug:
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:58 pm

toxicavenger wrote:There some dude on the net that wore his for a year with out washing them to break them in. That is sick!!! I wear mine about 2-3 times before I wash them.
But you go commando :bananastoner: :rock:

Captdave

Post by Captdave » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:01 pm

marchone wrote:
jswing wrote:
I have a 25-year old pair of Filson Double Tins that have never been washed. It would ruin the waxed finish. As they are they're damned near waterproof.

The whole denim cult leaves me bewildered though.
Bullet proof too :cheers: Just give me my good old trusty Levi 501's and that's all I need to know about denim.

jswing

Post by jswing » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:01 pm

JBZ wrote:If you want the contrast fading that Cesar has, you can't wash them very often. That's why the dry cleaning suggestion. I agree that not cleaning your jeans regularly is pretty gross.

Also, all jeans used to come with raw denim and were shrink to fit.
I'm old enough to remember that. And I remember those stiff, dark 501s and wondering how long it'd take for them to fade. What I don't remember is anyone, ever, suggesting to not wash them. In fact, it was the opposite. I wanted them washed as often as possible to break them in. I guess that wasn't hip.