Badass shoe/boot link thread

Where did you get that man purse?
JDC222
Demander of Intro Threads
Name: Dave

Re: Badass shoe/boot link thread

Post by JDC222 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:04 am

Blundstone, or “Lazy Boots” as my kids call them...comfy as F@ck!

Whisky has killed more men than bullets, but most men would rather be full of whisky than bullets.
Winston Churchill.

mbakes
Name: Mike

Post by mbakes » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:06 am

Thought about a pair of Chelsea's but slip on shoes typically do not work well for me. Nice boots!

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:42 am

mbakes wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:06 am
Thought about a pair of Chelsea's but slip on shoes typically do not work well for me. Nice boots!
Mike I use to think this way also. I thought "how can they be tight enough for my feet". I have been wearings vans since the 80's and they are not snug on my feet. Years ago though I tried my first Blundstone's and feel in love with the design. What I have figured out is the leather on these boots stretch. So if you go down .5 in size they will fit perfectly. My pair of Rossi's I think are about 4-5 years old and they are still as snug as they were new. And I wear them about 70% of the year, including hiking.

mbakes

Post by mbakes » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:43 am

Terry, thanks for the insight. I will have to give them a try.

JP Chestnut
Name: Jacob

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:18 am

mbakes wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:56 am
Due to difficulty in sizing Ref Wings IR’s, Wolverine 1000 Mile and Viberg Service boots due to different size and width feet, I bought some White’s MP Service boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My dad swore by whites when I was a kid.

mbakes

Post by mbakes » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 am

So far, I'm pretty happy. That got my size almost perfect but good enough that I don't have the various fit issues I have with other boots.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:44 am

I’m not sure what happened but I can no longer wear boots. The relatively hard sole (compared to sneakers) makes the bottom of my feet extremely sore. It’s a bummer because I loved boots.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:57 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:44 am
I’m not sure what happened but I can no longer wear boots. The relatively hard sole (compared to sneakers) makes the bottom of my feet extremely sore. It’s a bummer because I loved boots.
That is why I like my Rossi Endura boots. The sole on them is like sneakers and air filled. The regular Rossi boots use a flat sole like a boot. I can't do them.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:12 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:57 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
That is why I like my Rossi Endura boots. The sole on them is like sneakers and air filled. The regular Rossi boots use a flat sole like a boot. I can't do them.
I'll check them out. Weirdly, I can still wear leather soled Alden dress shoes without extreme pain. It has to be something about the cheapness of RW and Wolverine construction (a couple hundred bucks versus $600) that makes the soles so uncomfortable.

I've forced myself to embrace my early 90's sneaker roots and rock a variety of Jordans and NIkes (AF1 and Air Max 95). Winter ruins sneakers though.

mbakes

Post by mbakes » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:14 am

Bummer on the foot pain. Although, if I had the same foot pain, I could have used my boot money for a watch.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:18 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:12 am
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
I'll check them out. Weirdly, I can still wear leather soled Alden dress shoes without extreme pain. It has to be something about the cheapness of RW and Wolverine construction (a couple hundred bucks versus $600) that makes the soles so uncomfortable.

I've forced myself to embrace my early 90's sneaker roots and rock a variety of Jordans and NIkes (AF1 and Air Max 95). Winter ruins sneakers though.
Try some superfeet, they are legit and do not compress over time like most inserts https://www.superfeet.com/en-us

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:18 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

Try some superfeet, they are legit and do not compress over time like most inserts https://www.superfeet.com/en-us
I’ve had all sorts of custom orthotics made and unfortunately they don’t do much. I wear the spenco (or whatever) green insoles. They’re basically high density foam that adds impact absorption.

The weirdest thing is that it doesn’t happen that badly when I get fat. But every year when I lean out for summer my feet fucking kill me.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:30 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 am
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

I’ve had all sorts of custom orthotics made and unfortunately they don’t do much. I wear the spenco (or whatever) green insoles. They’re basically high density foam that adds impact absorption.

The weirdest thing is that it doesn’t happen that badly when I get fat. But every year when I lean out for summer my feet fucking kill me.
I had custom inserts made and they destroyed my back and feet. To the point i could barely walk with them. So when someone told me about superfeet I said no way. But they proved me wrong for sure.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:31 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Try these
https://www.military1st.com/m800892-mag ... black.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:42 am

toxicavenger wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:30 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

I had custom inserts made and they destroyed my back and feet. To the point i could barely walk with them. So when someone told me about superfeet I said no way. But they proved me wrong for sure.
Maybe I'll order a pair. I think my wife uses/likes them.

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:48 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
I'm sure you've looked into it, but Mephisto or Ecco could be an option if you can find a design you like (which can be challenging with either brand).

Maybe something else with a Vibram or other rubber sole? I have a pair of relatively inexpensive boots from J. Crew that have a rubber lug sole. Lightweight and comfortable.

Or maybe a pair of Alden Indy boots? RM Williams boots are always rated as very comfortable, but I've never tried a pair.

DrWapenshaw
Name: J

Post by DrWapenshaw » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:51 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

I wear the Spenco inserts in just about everything. Boots, sneakers, dress shoes. THEY WORK. I do not use them in running shows. They are affordable and like you stated at at orthotic level without orthotic pricing. I had decades of foot pain without them. Mostly plantar fasciitis.

ETA: For plantar fasciitis get the Spenco solid arch supports, the unsupported Spenco are nice but I cant last all day in those like I can in the arch supported ones.
Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:59 am

JBZ wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:48 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
I'm sure you've looked into it, but Mephisto or Ecco could be an option if you can find a design you like (which can be challenging with either brand).

Maybe something else with a Vibram or other rubber sole? I have a pair of relatively inexpensive boots from J. Crew that have a rubber lug sole. Lightweight and comfortable.

Or maybe a pair of Alden Indy boots? RM Williams boots are always rated as very comfortable, but I've never tried a pair.
I probably should get some Alden boot on a chunky sole. The only problem is that I’m picky about fit. The Barrie last doesn’t work and I expect the true balance wouldn’t either in any easily available width.

Also, I’d have to figure out my correct size in boot socks rather than dress socks. PITA and expensive.

I’ve always wanted to try something on the modified last. Maybe I should take a trip to NYC and check them out.

JP Chestnut

Post by JP Chestnut » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:01 am

DrWapenshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:51 am
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

ETA: For plantar fasciitis get the Spenco solid arch supports, the unsupported Spenco are nice but I cant last all day in those like I can in the arch supported ones.
I used to wear those plastic support ones, but they started to bother me badly. One of my arches is further back than the other so the support structure lands right on the sore part of my footbed.

Getting old sucks. I’m going to be on the black Velcro grandpa sneakers in a couple years.

DrWapenshaw
Name: J

Post by DrWapenshaw » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:10 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:01 am
DrWapenshaw wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

I used to wear those plastic support ones, but they started to bother me badly. One of my arches is further back than the other so the support structure lands right on the sore part of my footbed.

Getting old sucks. I’m going to be on the black Velcro grandpa sneakers in a couple years.
Ha right! My kids (wife) gave me some black house slippers that look suspicously like those as a gift.
I looked at everyone a little annoyed but quickly smiled and played it off, I still suspect she is messing with me!
Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:02 pm

JP Chestnut wrote:
DrWapenshaw wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

I’m on my feet a lot on hard, cold, vibrating steel decks and I’ve been wearing ECCO with great results for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Badass shoe/boot link thread

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:12 pm

I’ve had two pairs of Red Wing Iron Rangers; the copper color and the suede, both standard soles. I’ve worn in the suede nicely and the copper has broken in well too. A few weeks ago I picked up another pair in charcoal, but with the newer mini-lug soles, and I couldn’t handle the break in process this time. After breaking in the other pairs a few years back, I sustained injury to my Achilles’ tendon and now all stiffer boots hurt. It really sucks.

Stay tuned for some IR’s in the for sale section.... :nutkick:

jimyritz
Masshole

Post by jimyritz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:51 am

JP Chestnut wrote:
============================
Funny you ay that, I have gotten rid of most of my boots- I have 3 left:

Allen Edmonds, Redback, and Kodiak-

The Kodiak boots are the most comfortable, only $200 and I wear them to do stuff in the yard, shovel, etc...

more into sneakers :shrug:

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:55 am

JBZ wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

I've been having same issues as JP.... I may have to revert back to Ecco.... those "sneaker styles" they have come highly regarded...

My Merrells have been causing my feet to ache by end of day.
on the positive I walk the pup with MUCK boots and those are gold.... slip on, step in anything - no problem.

as odd as it sounds I have been wearing LL Bean camp mocs of late. well broken in, but I wear them like slippers and leave them on when I leave the house.... not as well made as camp mocs of 20 years ago.... or some other brands, but I'll go with what I have,
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Name: Jeff

Post by JBZ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:34 am

justsellbrgs wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:55 am
JBZ wrote:
JP Chestnut wrote:

I've been having same issues as JP.... I may have to revert back to Ecco.... those "sneaker styles" they have come highly regarded...

My Merrells have been causing my feet to ache by end of day.
on the positive I walk the pup with MUCK boots and those are gold.... slip on, step in anything - no problem.

as odd as it sounds I have been wearing LL Bean camp mocs of late. well broken in, but I wear them like slippers and leave them on when I leave the house.... not as well made as camp mocs of 20 years ago.... or some other brands, but I'll go with what I have,
I love the LL Bean camp mocs. I have two pairs and have found them to be really comfortable. My only complaint is that the soles can be a little slippery. A quick search on their website leads me to believe they may be phasing them out for something with a slightly different style.

I also have a couple pairs of their Grand Lake Mocs which are made with Bison leather and have a more substantial, gripping sole. I find those very comfortable, too.

I like the look of a lot of boots and own a few pairs, but I always find them to be too heavy when compared to my loafers (even the J. Crew boots I mentioned above, which are lighter weight than most boots I've owned, are heavy compared to a slip on).

I generally live in moccasins an loafers unless I'm doing something athletic. They're the La-Z-Boy of shoes.