Dress Shoes..Oxfords, Wingtips, etc....

Where did you get that man purse?
moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Re: Dress Shoes..Oxfords, Wingtips, etc....

Post by moishlashen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:04 am

Yep-Onlineshoes has 20% off right now with free s/h. Problem is I've checked about 10 differant pair and none in my size.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Name: Glæn

Post by ElChingon7 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:41 am

matt.wu wrote:
YOHOHO wrote:Make a pair of your own. I've heard good things... I'm trying to work my schedule so I can take a class...
http://www.shoemaking.com
There's a guy at work who, when he gets into the office, slips into a pair of shoes that look like they're made out of yarn......

Has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, but your "homemade shoe" comment made me thinking about those yarn shoes. :lol:
Pics please :pray: :pray:
WTF

Kustoms4ever
Name: Johnny

Post by Kustoms4ever » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:49 am

matt.wu wrote:
YOHOHO wrote:Make a pair of your own. I've heard good things... I'm trying to work my schedule so I can take a class...
http://www.shoemaking.com
There's a guy at work who, when he gets into the office, slips into a pair of shoes that look like they're made out of yarn......

Has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, but your "homemade shoe" comment made me thinking about those yarn shoes. :lol:

Macrame Bitches!!!!!!

My other hobby. My 1954 Lincoln Capri Full Custom.

“The Royal Oak was the first of its kind. 40 years later, it remains unmatched amongst prestige sport watches. This is only the beginning of an authentic icon that is making an indelible imprint on the history of modern watchmaking."

-François-Henry Bennahmias, CEO of Audemars Piguet,

DMB
Global Moderator
Name: Magnificent Bastard
Location: On the high ground with interlocking fields of fire

Post by DMB » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:35 pm

I like a good pair of shoes, but with my job I don't want to waer anything too expensive due to hazards of the job. Same goes with a watch. I pretty much stick to J&M, Cole Haan. I also have a few pairs I picked up from J Crew, Orvis, etc.

tmw
Name: The Enabler

Post by tmw » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:53 pm

I only wear Allen Edmonds when it comes to dress shoes. And I am very frequently in Shoes.

You will have these forever. Have them recraft the soles after they get worn down.

Cork soles can not be beat...

I always have two pairs - one to wear, and the other is typically out for recrafting.

You will never get tired of them, and they become your feet's best friend.
Stan, don’t you know the first law of physics? Anything that’s fun costs at least eight dollars”
-- Eric Cartman

“To absent friends, lost loves, old gods, and the season of mists; and may each and every one of us always give the devil his due.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Sandman

I bought a cheap watch from a crazy man
Floating down canal
It doesn't use numbers or moving hands
It always just says now
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And If I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On

- Jimmy Buffett

belligero

Post by belligero » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:13 pm

DMB wrote:I like a good pair of shoes, but with my job I don't want to waer anything too expensive due to hazards of the job. Same goes with a watch. I pretty much stick to J&M, Cole Haan. I also have a few pairs I picked up from J Crew, Orvis, etc.
That's a good reason to go for the really good shit, though. Cordovan leather is ridiculously tough - way burlier than cow leather. I can scuff and scratch the hell out of mine on a big night out (wet floors with broken glass are common in crowded bars here) and they look like new with a pretty minimal amount of effort. The stuff's magic. These Indy boots of mine still look fresh after two years of what I'd pretty much call abuse as my cold-season travel (read: boozing in Barcelona, Berlin and Budapest) boots.

For how durable and kickass they are vs. what they cost, I think they're a better value than calf leather.

:thumbsup:

moishlashen
Name: Leu Sanis

Post by moishlashen » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:27 pm

DMB wrote:I like a good pair of shoes, but with my job I don't want to waer anything too expensive due to hazards of the job. Same goes with a watch. I pretty much stick to J&M, Cole Haan. I also have a few pairs I picked up from J Crew, Orvis, etc.

Dude you need a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers. Perfect for your line of work.

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:33 pm

belligero wrote:
That's a good reason to go for the really good shit, though. Cordovan leather is ridiculously tough - way burlier than cow leather. I can scuff and scratch the hell out of mine on a big night out (wet floors with broken glass are common in crowded bars here) and they look like new with a pretty minimal amount of effort. The stuff's magic. These Indy boots of mine still look fresh after two years of what I'd pretty much call abuse as my cold-season travel (read: boozing in Barcelona, Berlin and Budapest) boots.

For how durable and kickass they are vs. what they cost, I think they're a better value than calf leather.

Epic boots. You've convinced me to do a pair of Alden cordovans.

belligero

Post by belligero » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks, man! You won't regret it. Shell cordovan is the bootmaking equivalent of the raw denim with how they break in. The colour gets better with age, too.

I'd do another pair in whiskey if I can find it in size 13...

or even velour...

Have you ever tried top quality suede? It's way harder-wearing than I would have guessed; the grain doesn't show scratches and scuffs like calf leather does. I got a friend some RM Williams in suede and he wears them as work boots and for playing his dogs in wet muddy grass, but a bit of brushing and they look like new.
:thumbsup: