Anyone still use a desktop PC?

Get your nerd on.
Knome
Name: Ken

Post by Knome » Sat May 23, 2020 10:10 am

I had a fellow LA Watch Gang friend come over for a beer a few months back and he was amazed I still had and used a desktop PC.
I've always enjoyed having a full powered desktop CPU based PC and a large screen to get all my work and gaming done at home. I don't get to game all that much these days but when I do, I want to be blown away. My system destroys any console on the market in every aspect of performance and flexibility and I tend to use each system for a long time between upgrades.

From the looks of it, the next gen consoles (Playstation 5 and the XBOX Series X) have hardware that are basically mid range PCs more than ever.

Am I really a dying breed among most people just using pc laptops/macbooks /ipads? PC enthusiasts have always been niche but I thought it was more popular than ever with sales actually bumping up in the last few years. I guess I might be weird among watch guys?
With stay at home orders being in effect the last couple months, I've actually used my pc more than I have in years. I'm really glad I finally upgraded last black friday..

anyone spend an unreasonable amount of money on a home pc lately?

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Re: Anyone still use a desktop PC?

Post by mattcantwin » Sat May 23, 2020 10:15 am

My wife has a Lenovo and I have an iMac.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sat May 23, 2020 10:21 am

I currently have a Lenovo and an iPad Pro 2017.

I’m actually going to upgrade the iPad Pro to the latest version, 12.9 inch with a keyboard and Apple Pencil, and will be selling my laptop and iPad Pro or trading it in.

For what I do and need, I literally have been using the iPad 95% of the time and the pc sits in my office.
I had two issues with the iPad, but found easy workarounds (grammarly and using Dropbox to export photos to website on iPad), so those were the things I would use the laptop for.

Between the amazing screen, touch or keyboard input, Apple Pencil, ease of use, no waiting for anything to load, photo and video editing power and more, the iPad Pro is all I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Sat May 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Always had a desktop for gaming since about 1996.

Started building my own in 2016. It’s a lot of fun even with the occasional headache.

Really prefer the ultra wide curve vs dual monitor setup.

Here’s my “battle station” as they call it nowadays. Don’t mind the dust.

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:27 pm

I use everything, but I am a software engineer. However, our youngest is 18 and he and his buddies only game on pc.

Xbox just sits. As a Hs graduation gift, I buy them a MacBook Air. It will be interesting when he just has that at college

r.palace

Post by r.palace » Sat May 23, 2020 12:57 pm

Haven’t owned a PC in years although I’ve always preferred it over the laptop

For work I’m currently using 2 monitors + my laptop hooked up to a docking station so like a PC. Very comfortable and much preferred when I have to actual research something extensively.
ImageImage
Many will register, few will last :htfu:

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Sat May 23, 2020 1:50 pm

Iv’ e always had a desktop, but since moving to my wife’s apartment (5 years ago), I didi not have space for a desktop, so using laptops and ipads for now. Will get another desktop when I have a proper office space.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

andy tims
Name: Andy Tims

Post by andy tims » Sat May 23, 2020 2:35 pm

I still use a Dell desktop, but use my laptop and tablet more.
Andy

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat May 23, 2020 6:21 pm

We have 4 HP laptops. So yes

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Sat May 23, 2020 8:16 pm

I use a Corsair desktop gaming rig and have a HP laptop for work stuff.

dukerules

Post by dukerules » Sun May 24, 2020 3:52 am

I have a 2015 MBP, used mainly plugged into a 27" external monitor. Works well, except the internal HD space is limited, and the graphics card is a bit long in the tooth. I like the idea of an external GPU, but I don't think my MBP is capable (need the new thunderbolt connector).

four20
Name: erik

Post by four20 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:48 am

i've been an HP on-site repair tech for a customer (large insurance company) for nearly 15 yrs servicing a base of 40,000 laptops and tablets. i haven't had a personal desktop in at least 12, but i don't get into gaming either. the customer still has some mini desktops but i don't have to touch them thankfully

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Sun May 24, 2020 8:18 am

Still have an old desktop, media and storage server etc. :)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Sun May 24, 2020 10:09 am

Got fed up with Windows computers where the virus and firewall software don't play nice with the operating system and went all Chrome. Have Asus chromebox desktop w/ 8gb ram, a couple touchscreen chromebook laptops, and Android phone. Everything works seamlessly. All units have access to Google Play Store.
No, it's not Tourettes.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun May 24, 2020 10:45 am

Knome wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:10 am
I had a fellow LA Watch Gang friend come over for a beer a few months back and he was amazed I still had and used a desktop PC.
I've always enjoyed having a full powered desktop CPU based PC and a large screen to get all my work and gaming done at home. I don't get to game all that much these days but when I do, I want to be blown away. My system destroys any console on the market in every aspect of performance and flexibility and I tend to use each system for a long time between upgrades.

From the looks of it, the next gen consoles (Playstation 5 and the XBOX Series X) have hardware that are basically mid range PCs more than ever.

Am I really a dying breed among most people just using pc laptops/macbooks /ipads? PC enthusiasts have always been niche but I thought it was more popular than ever with sales actually bumping up in the last few years. I guess I might be weird among watch guys?
With stay at home orders being in effect the last couple months, I've actually used my pc more than I have in years. I'm really glad I finally upgraded last black friday..

anyone spend an unreasonable amount of money on a home pc lately?
I game occasionally, so I built a gaming PC a year or two ago. It was kinda nostalgic for me, as I used to do it all the time in middle and high school.
:htfu:

Knome
Name: Ken

Post by Knome » Sun May 24, 2020 11:17 am

My pc I built late last year was the first time I've upgraded in about 8 years. I was sure I would fuck it up, but everything came back to me relatively quickly. Assembled everything and it booted up on the first try.

Been enjoying Ray traced graphics on a 34 inch ultrawide monitor lately and I can't imagine any consoles coming close to the performance of a gaming PC. Hope the next gen consoles finally catch up.

Last edited by Knome on Sun May 24, 2020 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun May 24, 2020 11:33 am

We have a Lenovo all-in-one desktop PC as our home computer. We like that it takes up less space and has less cables than a traditional PC/monitor system.

That said, I use my 11” iPad Pro with the new magic keyboard more than the PC, but when I want to see something on a larger screen I use the PC
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:12 pm

Yep, Dell Optiplex with three monitors as well as my laptop. I'd really like a Falcon with six monitors but can't justify that right now.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:15 am

I still use my PC almost everyday. It has two monitors and I like that setup. I use it mostly for surfing and occasional photo editing. It's getting a bit long in the tooth as far as specs go. It may be time to upgrade soon.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Mon May 25, 2020 7:47 am

hobbit712 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:15 am
I still use my PC almost everyday. It has two monitors and I like that setup. I use it mostly for surfing and occasional photo editing. It's getting a bit long in the tooth as far as specs go. It may be time to upgrade soon.
Yeah, I know that feeling. Mine's 9 (!) years old, and now running Win10. I decided early in the year that since I dont' so much "heavy" stuff on it, it'd be fine. Now I'm working remote all the time and wish it had more horsepower :)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

ncstate1201
Name: Geoff B

Post by ncstate1201 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:13 am

Love the desktop and worry about the day they stop making them...I have a laptop for work and when working from home it remains in the docking station and I take advantage of the same keyboard, mouse, and monitor from my pc...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Mon May 25, 2020 10:45 am

I've only had one desktop ever, when I was in high school. I've used laptops ever since but always had them on a table or desk for work/play. Now I am in a point in my life where I do not need the size of a portable laptop to maximize space and mobility so my next Mac will be a desktop one. Probably an iMac.

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Mon May 25, 2020 12:02 pm

nweash wrote:Always had a desktop for gaming since about 1996.

Started building my own in 2016. It’s a lot of fun even with the occasional headache.

Gibson SG's?

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Mon May 25, 2020 12:14 pm

Joeprez wrote:
nweash wrote:Always had a desktop for gaming since about 1996.

Gibson SG's?

Left to right fender tele spalted maple top. Washburn idol series from their now defunct custom shop. And two more fender teles with amber flamed top and Jim root series.

vakkup
Name: Mike Vestal

Post by vakkup » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:08 am

I've stopped using my desktop for about a year right now. Feeling good with my laptop on a sofa :)