Connecting to the Internet;

Get your nerd on.
AZpops
Name: Lance

Connecting to the Internet;

Post by AZpops » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:03 am

Presently, I'm connecting to the internet via a Verizon usb 3G devise. I'm told by Verizon, that they will be dropping it's 3G connection sometime during the later part of the year. I guess a lot of the service is being cut (?), so my connection has been bad, and at times the connection will drop off.

I joined Verizon over a decade ago, when they offered an unlimited download special. Verizon recommended that I look into their 4G aircard/usb devise. However, as I'm one of the few who has their unlimited contract, to keep that contract open, use it till it goes dead, or the connection deteriorates. They recommend; it would be best to enter a new contract with their 4G devise. In other words, I'll have two devises, so I won't be without a connection.

I did some googling, but figure I'd ask you'all for your recommendation / advise. See what my options are!

Thanks!

BTW, I'm a total noob when it come to this sort of thing! If I could use this devise for another 10 years plus, I would! In-addition, the contract is unlimited, so I never worried about usage.

Oh, I'm on a laptop!
Lance

Selym
Name: Myles

Re: Connecting to the Internet;

Post by Selym » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 am

How about using your smartphone as a WiFi hotspot?

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:30 am

They currently offer unlimited plans so switching from your old one to the new one shouldn’t be an issue.

Your current plan likely does NOT specify “only 3G” but the salespeople will surely try and convince you otherwise.

Purchase the LTE hotspot/USB device and have it replace the 3G unit on your account. Not expensive at all.

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:19 pm

Thanks, guys!
Selym wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 am
How about using your smartphone as a WiFi hotspot?
I would, but, ...... I still use a flip phone! .... :oops: .... :grin:

hoppyjr wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:30 am
They currently offer unlimited plans so switching from your old one to the new one shouldn’t be an issue.

Your current plan likely does NOT specify “only 3G” but the salespeople will surely try and convince you otherwise.

Purchase the LTE hotspot/USB device and have it replace the 3G unit on your account. Not expensive at all.

OK, thanks, Hop! What's a LTE hotspot/usb devise? Is that similar to the UM150 I'm presently using? I purchased the one I'm presently using from Amazon, in the event my other acquired a problem, which I'm glad I did, as Verizon tech switched the devises out a few weeks ago when I was having a difficult time getting a connection!

Thanks for the heads up on the unlimited plan, I'll check that one out!

Thanks, again! ... :cheers:
Lance

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:36 pm

att did this to us years ago. basically they do not want you in that plan anymore and they are going to drop your service or make it suck even worse. so time to move to a different plan

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:47 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:36 pm
att did this to us years ago. basically they do not want you in that plan anymore and they are going to drop your service or make it suck even worse. so time to move to a different plan
Thanks, "T"! Yeah, that sort of thing sucks! I'm feeding the two trouble makers, then getting ready for work. Ma was driving by Verizon, so she's there now, checking, as Hop mentioned, if we can switch the 3G to their 4G hardware within my present contract. If we can't, then I'll drive over to Verizon to discuss my options, re. an unlimited 4G plan. If I'm able, I'd like to wait till next month to do anything! We'll see how it goes!

Thanks again, guys! Really appreciate the help! .... :cheers:
Lance