Thinking about a new device

Get your nerd on.
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Re: Thinking about a new device

Post by tattoo chef » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:23 am

Torrid wrote:I might actually buy the older Macbook Air while it still is available new. I do like the new type C connector setup, but it doesn't have a standard USB for pretty much everything I use connectability wise, which the older model does have and the specs are very close.
Do not buy the older MacBook Air. That thing is a joke for the price. Horrible screen and resolution, plasticity build etc.
If going Mac, and your not going to use it for intensive programs and such, get the new air, or you can always get a regular MacBook as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:26 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:23 am
Torrid wrote:I might actually buy the older Macbook Air while it still is available new. I do like the new type C connector setup, but it doesn't have a standard USB for pretty much everything I use connectability wise, which the older model does have and the specs are very close.
Do not buy the older MacBook Air. That thing is a joke for the price. Horrible screen and resolution, plasticity build etc.
If going Mac, and your not going to use it for intensive programs and such, get the new air, or you can always get a regular MacBook as well.

Yeah this is why I asked. I'm just not that well versed on them even though I've been reading a bit here and there. I'm just starting the process. Just got back on my old laptop to dig a bit deeper. I honestly thought I'd just talk myself into another iPad Pro, but I'm so used to typing once again on a computer since I got back to using this one that I don't see going laptopless again.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:47 am

Check out Apple’s certified refurbished program for a nice discount and full factory warranty. I just bought a new MacBook and the screen and speakers are amazing.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:02 pm

BacoNoir wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:47 am
Check out Apple’s certified refurbished program for a nice discount and full factory warranty. I just bought a new MacBook and the screen and speakers are amazing.
That's a big plus for me. I spend most of the time watching YouTube on my computer and while my last iPad has better specs than my current computer, I watch mostly when I'm off work and I'm eating and doing whatever else while watching. The stand cases are useless on a lap for an iPad when moving around and the form factor of a laptop is perfect for this. Great speakers and screen are the biggest selling point for sure.

The problem is I feel like this reads like I'm looking for the best all around hardware, but I think I might be too stuck on the idea of sticking with Apple that I'll have a Macbook of some sort when I finally decide which one I want. Seems like a more one sided thread than I originally intended.

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:26 pm

https://www.livingsocial.com/browse/aus ... or-a-grade

Not sure if you can see that, but refurbished airs at 47% off

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:08 pm

Funny that I decided to start thinking about this topic this weekend. Looks like my computer screen is almost completely dead. If I so much as bump the case the screen goes black until I readjust the hinges and it doesn’t come back on immediately upon moving it either, so now I’m on my phone. Even though I went with a bigger iPhone to use it more often to skip out on the iPad I find I don’t actually use the phone much. I’m starting to think minus the printing ability which is easily fixed in my own home that I may consider another iPad instead. I like using the phone this way but still wish I had an even bigger screen to use this way instead of the laptop.

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts
Name: Alex

Post by Morethan1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Not sure if people think about this, but resell on MacBook pros is always pretty good.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:01 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:12 pm
I honestly have no problem with windows. I am a devout Apple user for the past six years with every iPhone and an iPad but I have a Lenovo Yoga laptop and absolutely love it, and it only cost me $800.

I have the same, cost was similar - great bang for the buck :thumbsup:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Post by BacoNoir » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:23 am

Torrid wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:08 pm
Funny that I decided to start thinking about this topic this weekend. Looks like my computer screen is almost completely dead. If I so much as bump the case the screen goes black until I readjust the hinges and it doesn’t come back on immediately upon moving it either, so now I’m on my phone. Even though I went with a bigger iPhone to use it more often to skip out on the iPad I find I don’t actually use the phone much. I’m starting to think minus the printing ability which is easily fixed in my own home that I may consider another iPad instead. I like using the phone this way but still wish I had an even bigger screen to use this way instead of the laptop.
So I was going back and forth betweena MacBook and iPad Pro and decided on the MacBook. It's slightly larger but when you add in the price of the keyboard for the pro, the price and weight differential are negligable. With the MacBook I can use it as a work laptop on business trips and I needed the full OS to be able to build an app that I use for diabetes control. Plus, without a touch screen on the MacBook, I'll have a clean screen most of the time where my iPad looks filthy all the time.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:47 am

BacoNoir wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:23 am
Torrid wrote:
So I was going back and forth betweena MacBook and iPad Pro and decided on the MacBook. It's slightly larger but when you add in the price of the keyboard for the pro, the price and weight differential are negligable. With the MacBook I can use it as a work laptop on business trips and I needed the full OS to be able to build an app that I use for diabetes control. Plus, without a touch screen on the MacBook, I'll have a clean screen most of the time where my iPad looks filthy all the time.
I was noticing the price wasn’t far apart with the keyboard. I’m so used to touch screens now that I think I’d still prefer the keyboard. I was thinking of possibly going gen 2 Pro 12.9 which is cheaper and there’s great deals on 256GB models, but still undecided. I do hate fingerprinted screens as well.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:57 am

Torrid wrote:
BacoNoir wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:23 am
Torrid wrote:
I was noticing the price wasn’t far apart with the keyboard. I’m so used to touch screens now that I think I’d still prefer the keyboard. I was thinking of possibly going gen 2 Pro 12.9 which is cheaper and there’s great deals on 256GB models, but still undecided. I do hate fingerprinted screens as well.
This is what I did for almost two years, and then my keyboard/iPad interface got wonky and the iPad is now back at Apple getting warranty service. It worked for everything that I needed it to work for. It’s still my go to piece of kit. I’m going to be using the Air for - mostly - basic office work for ARES where I can leave it as a community-type desktop.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:24 am

I use swappa to buy my used gear. Check it out https://swappa.com/laptops/macbooks

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:52 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:24 am
I use swappa to buy my used gear. Check it out https://swappa.com/laptops/macbooks
I hadn’t considered used. I may now. I should get plenty for what I need that way.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:00 pm

My computer finally died while I was in a hotel on business. That forced me to make a decision. I ended up getting another gen 2 iPad 10.5 256GB. I tried the gen 3 but I just couldn’t get used to no home screen and gestures as a 8 Plus user.