Thinking about a new device

Get your nerd on.
Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:54 pm

So I recently sold my iPad Pro after getting an iPhone 8 Plus. I'm very happy with the 8 Plus and haven't given a second thought to a Xs. I'm used to the interface the 8 uses since it's still designed and operated much as every iPhone in history has, but made the iPad feel redundant considering I bought a 256GB which is the same amount of space my Pro had and the processor seems to be more advanced. I work for a class 2 regional railroad, meaning I'm home every night, but I just accepted a job from a very well known class 1 and while it sees a massive jump in pay, it also means more time away from home and I think it's time to upgrade my old Dell running Linux to a more modern device with all the time I'll see stuck in hotels. Obviously the natural choice being an iPhone user is to buy a Macbook, but to be honest I don't know much about their computers. I have enough understanding from reading to convert old crappy Windows laptops to Linux which I'm pretty well versed in but I have almost no experience with Apple computers, even though I haven't owned a mobile device in the last 5 years that wasn't Apple.

Anyone around here have experience with Macbooks? Pros and cons? I have every intention of buying new and I've seen the prices these go for and I get that it's a healthy chunk of money but I know I'll get a ton of use out of it. I'm just not a fan of Microsoft, I like the integration aspect of Apple, but at $1k to well over this price is Apple the answer? I do like the ability to text from the computer and basically access everything I've been doing on my phone, but beyond this convenience do the specs justify the price?

dukerules

Re: Thinking about a new device

Post by dukerules » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:09 pm

I think most Macbook users would agree that even if they're not always worth the price (although I paid around ~$1200 for my current MBP and I think it has been worth every penny), the UI, ease of use, and general refinement of these things makes them a great buy.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:20 pm

dukerules wrote:I think most Macbook users would agree that even if they're not always worth the price (although I paid around ~$1200 for my current MBP and I think it has been worth every penny), the UI, ease of use, and general refinement of these things makes them a great buy.
:1: I’m not a power user by any means, but for my purposes I can’t see myself ever using something else.
- Todd

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Chocodove wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:20 pm
dukerules wrote:I think most Macbook users would agree that even if they're not always worth the price (although I paid around ~$1200 for my current MBP and I think it has been worth every penny), the UI, ease of use, and general refinement of these things makes them a great buy.
:1: I’m not a power user by any means, but for my purposes I can’t see myself ever using something else.
Neither am I. I watch Youtube, spend time on here, and shop. The Apple ecosystem is a huge plus as much as I hate that statement. I am looking at the Macbook Air. I haven't decided quite yet on the actual model, but I'd prefer to have the 256GB but it is $1,400.

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:53 pm

They're expensive for what you get spec-wise, but it just works. I like their ecosystem, simple things like copying and pasting between both devices is so nice.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:12 pm

I honestly have no problem with windows. I am a devout Apple user for the past six years with every iPhone and an iPad but I have a Lenovo Yoga laptop and absolutely love it, and it only cost me $800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 pm

One thing I personally HATE about the MBP is the massive trackpad, it’s just so large and at least for me personally makes typing really awkward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:51 pm

That is a bit much. I see what you mean. I don't know exactly which Macbook I will get just yet, but that is my first choice. I just know this Dell is about to die because the screen flickers every time I move the screen and I think the plug going into the board is going bad. I've taken it apart and cleaned it out and it hasn't helped. I have lost all desire to rig things. Since owning a new vehicle and not having to constantly fiddle with things I'm really not interested with constantly toying with my computer to keep it going. My Apple products have always worked no matter what. That's quite reassuring.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:54 pm

Whatever you get make sure it has an SSD. Seems to be the biggest factor on speed and snappiness.

djh1201
Name: David H.

Post by djh1201 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:55 pm

I personally am very happy with my Chromebook, an Asus C302. Macbook Air build quality, long battery life, plenty of horsepower, and so much simpler to run/maintain than a Windows machine, or for that matter an Apple machine.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:12 pm

I was in a similar situation,iPhone and iPads for the last 6 years (after tearing away from Blackberry) and needed a new laptop to replace my big heavy Lenovo Thinkpad.

I really wanted to go Mac but found it hard to justify the cost and wasn’t sure if some of the programs I use would run. I looked at a Dell XPS13 but it’s close in price to the Mac. I ending up buying a Dell Inspiron 7000 13” and love it. 256GB SSD Drive, 8gb Ram, aluminum case. touch screen (that I don’t use), thin, light and much easier to travel with.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:02 pm

i would really have a hard time spending over $1k on something that I really wouldn't use the features. If I was editing software/music/photos I would get a mac.

if i need it to get online, surf the net, and be care free it would be a chrome book hands down.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:25 pm

I’ve been a Mac guy for almost 20 years. Love them. They just work.

That said last year I jumped to the iPad Pro and it’s my main workhorse. I’m sold and probably won’t go back. But I’m a writer and my needs are not process heavy.

Apple is more expensive but worth it.
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:38 pm

manitoujoe wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:25 pm
I’ve been a Mac guy for almost 20 years. Love them. They just work.

That said last year I jumped to the iPad Pro and it’s my main workhorse. I’m sold and probably won’t go back. But I’m a writer and my needs are not process heavy.

Apple is more expensive but worth it.
This is my main issue. I liked the iPad Pro but for what I used it for I could do everything from my iPhone. I’ve definitely gotten used to using a laptop again. I think I need to get over to the local Apple store and play with a MacBook and see what I think. I really want a keyboard and the iPad keyboard case feels fiddly when I tried it.

Grahamcombat
Name: Graham

Post by Grahamcombat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:53 pm

I love the Apple stuff and the way they seamlessly integrate with each other.

I mostly run an iPad and my phone, but typing long form gets pretty old pretty fast, so I just picked up another Air 13”.

I’m also adding a Mac desktop with a docking station so I can be integrative and work on bigger editing projects with photos, videos, the podcast (shameless plug), and all the design software and inventory control.

They’re super expensive and worth every single cent.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:10 pm

^^This. I miss my desktop iMac. The screen was amazing.

Get a MacBook! They are great. I just wanted the versatility. Nothing wrong with a classic.
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 pm

"It just works" has been true of Windows for some time.

Not sure newer Macbook designs are without problems though: https://youtu.be/NzjoELvrkYo
Last edited by bedlam on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:29 pm

manitoujoe wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:10 pm
^^This. I miss my desktop iMac. The screen was amazing.

Get a MacBook! They are great. I just wanted the versatility. Nothing wrong with a classic.
This is where I’m at. I’m so sick of fixing Windows issues in this house. My wife is the only one now with a Windows laptop. My kids both have iPads, one of which is my old 4th gen, still working like new.

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 am

I use them all, but my stress level went way down after I got my wife an iPad. It is hard to screw that up.

If I could get my dad off Windows, I would be in heaven. He messes it up about every 4 months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:25 am

I have an imac at home and like 3 or 4 surfaces. I way prefer the PC's to the imac. I find the PCs far easier than the Mac. I know I'm likely in the minority here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:53 am

ericf4 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:25 am
I have an imac at home and like 3 or 4 surfaces. I way prefer the PC's to the imac. I find the PCs far easier than the Mac. I know I'm likely in the minority here.

The thing is I actually have very little experience with Mac which makes me think I would find the PC to be easier to use at least at first. I have also thought of getting another iPad, but the main reason for a laptop is the ease to plug in and print anywhere. Not everyone has a AirPrint capable printers and if it was easy to do from an iPad I could even do it from my phone and then the iPad other than larger screen is a bit redundant again.

I do want the Mac and I'm sure I'd take to it quickly and I'm fine with the price. The reviews I've seen from the usual suspects on YouTube at least on the lower models come across as "it's nice. It works. It won't blow you away with specs or features for the price." It's that last part that makes me think I might feel I overpaid in the end, but I have never used any computer to it's maximum capability in many years. I don't do any serious gaming from computers anymore. I barely have time to fire up my PS4 anymore.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:55 am

Not necessarily Eric.

I'm running an Asus zenbook and got the same model for my mother and am quite happy with them.

And a dell windows 7 box as my file server and streaming box.

But I've been using and atbtimes supporting and training on windows since the late 90s...

If you are happy with the apple eco space and do everything that they want you to do in the way they want you to do it, it works well from what I have seen..
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:02 am

I might actually buy the older Macbook Air while it still is available new. I do like the new type C connector setup, but it doesn't have a standard USB for pretty much everything I use connectability wise, which the older model does have and the specs are very close.

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:20 am

They have a dongle to handle usb so don’t that factor into it. Of course, some folks bitch it should be included, but ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:59 am

jeckyll wrote:Not necessarily Eric.

I'm running an Asus zenbook and got the same model for my mother and am quite happy with them.

And a dell windows 7 box as my file server and streaming box.

But I've been using and atbtimes supporting and training on windows since the late 90s...

If you are happy with the apple eco space and do everything that they want you to do in the way they want you to do it, it works well from what I have seen..
With mac I constantly find myself trying to do simple things that seem convoluted compared to PC. I'm sure with time that would fade.

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer