New router

Get your nerd on.
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

New router

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:51 pm

Our older Asus RT-AC87r router has been acting up lately. So I figured after 6 years it is time to change it out. I was going to do a firmware update but I was afraid it would brick the router.

After a bunch of research I decided I like to try out the mesh ring router setups like Google wifi. But after doing a lot of reading regarding privacy concerns I actually went with the Orbi (Net Gear) mini 2 pack from Costco for $150.

Just a heads up before you start disconnecting anything, download the Orbi app first. Then start disconnecting your old network. You can set up a guest network and a parental controls version for your kids. Really easy to get going.

So far I really like it. :salute:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BacoNoir
Name: Roger

Re: New router

Post by BacoNoir » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:03 pm

We have the Orbi and love it.
www.simplynoble.net
Time Magazine Person of the Year - 2006

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:52 pm

I put it in over a year ago at the house mainly for ease of use , the back channel for adding satellites, and remote support in case I need trouble shoot for family while I travel.

It has worked pretty good most of that time. However, the WiFi has become flakey with lots of disconnects. I am looking at other options.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:57 pm

gamecock111 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:52 pm
I put it in over a year ago at the house mainly for ease of use , the back channel for adding satellites, and remote support in case I need trouble shoot for family while I travel.

It has worked pretty good most of that time. However, the WiFi has become flakey with lots of disconnects. I am looking at other options.
We have a 2.4ghz issue around our hood. To fix this issue with my last setup I used only the 5ghz setup. I am doing the same with this one.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:58 pm

Yep, I love the Orbi too.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:16 am

I just recently went with an Orbi as well. Costco had the three satellite setup a few weeks ago for $299. I needed a new router for my cabin as it was going off line and therefor effecting my Arlo camera set up. I needed a remote setup to keep the cabin so I took my Nighthawk router from the house and put in the cabin yesterday. So now both places have on a remote setup...I hope.

Upside to both is now my Arlo cameras at both places have a stronger signal.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

blkgsl
Herro!!!
Name: blkgsl

Post by blkgsl » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:28 pm

I have Orbi at the guest house and Amplifi HD at the main house. Love both systems, but the Amplifi tends to have more stable firmware. Orbi has higher throughput, however. In the end, I prefer the look of the Amplifi antenna extenders more, so I went with those as primary. But you genuinely can’t go wrong with either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:47 pm

blkgsl wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:28 pm
Amplifi HD
I wanted to try the Amplifi but on their site they don't have any specs for the square footage it covers for just the router. So i passed on it.