Switched from IPhone X to 8 Plus after 11 months.

Get your nerd on.
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Switched from IPhone X to 8 Plus after 11 months.

Post by tattoo chef » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:48 pm

So I was due for an upgrade.
I had the X for 11 months and while I dealt with it or got used to it, I ultimately decided I would not get an XS or Max and didn’t want the X anymore and got an 8 plus.

iPhone 8 Plus vs iPhone X

Things I miss -tap to wake.
I’ve put on raise to wake and don’t miss it as much now, but that is a nice feature.

I do miss the gestures but it’s not that different hitting the home button. 2 different ways to do the same thing. I never used the scroll feature to switch between apps on the X so I don’t miss that.

The OLED screen is nice but nothing wrong with the LCD that Apple does.

Things I don’t miss- after using the X for almost a year, I was getting aggravated with certain things and these things were not addressed in the XS-MAX-XR.

FaceID on my phone was becoming worse. I don’t know if it’s because of dropping the phone a few times or what. I even went and redid the face scan and it still was wonky.
It also does not work in horizontal view.

Touch ID I find to still be easier and more reliable, especially if phone is laying down (or horizontal)
Unfortunately Touch ID is a thing of the past, but hopefully in a few years they get FaceID as good as touchID.

No battery percentage. It’s just aggravating to have to pull down control center to see it.
Speaking of control center, I forgot how nice it was to be able to swipe up from the bottom to access it instead of having to reach all the way in right corner every time. That was a bad implementation on the X.

Exit app button- on the X (and I presume the same on XS series unless they changed it), when you are in a game or an application that is horizontal only (some video editing applications), the exit bar will not go to vertical even when you rotate phone. So instead of swiping up you have to swipe sideways, or turn your phone again and swipe up, as opposed to the home button, where orientation just didn’t matter.

The notch. I would rather the notch be gone and just have a small forehead much in way Samsung does and then no chin to get most out of display, the notch really is the most noticeable when watching full screen videos. Full screen zoom on videos really does cut off the video as well and if you are not watching on full screen, what’s the point of having a full screen device?

I was paying $36 a month and my screen was scratched to shit. More so than any other phone I have ever had. Since I was able to upgrade I thought about getting the XS or the XR, as I wanted to get a new one and get a screen protector on it, so at least that way I wasn’t paying for a phone that looked like crap and the screen was filled with scratches. I really contemplated the XR but after almost a year of use I realized that this design by Apple is still not there yet. The notch should be rectified/removed, FaceID still needs improvement, the software still does not work with the hardware in a functional way, i.e the power button is not the power button if you use it for Siri-you have to hold two buttons to turn it off, the aforementioned control center issues and more.

Hopefully in 2 years or so the new iPhones will have improved on these things or a new improved design that works better with the software.
Until then, I’m keeping the 8 plus. I’m also paying much less a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torrid
Name: Heath

Re: Switched from IPhone X to 8 Plus after 11 months.

Post by Torrid » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:32 pm

I honestly was thinking of getting an 8 Plus if I sell my iPad. I have a standard 8 now and prefer the home button.

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:07 pm

The screen scratching was annoying. Never needed a protector before. Besides that I love the extra real estate of the XS max. Face ID has marginally improved.

Morethan1
Frequent bumper of posts
Name: Alex

Post by Morethan1 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Still have the iPhone 6+
The idea of carrying a dongle with me annoys the shit outta me. Seems like the older way was better in this instance.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:26 pm

I’ve never used the dongle. I switched to air pods as I got them for free. and I’m just not a big headphone guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Morethan1 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:21 pm
Still have the iPhone 6+
The idea of carrying a dongle with me annoys the shit outta me. Seems like the older way was better in this instance.
Never used it either. The headphones that come with the phone work great for my conference calls at work and I use Bluetooth headphones st home.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 pm

I only listen to podcasts and music through the lightning cable in my truck with CarPlay. I think I still prefer the home button so I’ll likely replace my 8 with an 8 Plus assuming that I can sell the iPad Pro.

Edit - just heard back from Verizon that I wouldn’t get the extra $100 off an iPhone for upgrading now so I’d likely only break even selling my iPad to get it. I like my 8 enough to deal with the screen scratch if I keep my iPad to use for now. I’ll definitely get the Plus when it’s time. I know it’s stupid but I just can’t see losing the home button fingerprint scanner. I wish other Apple would use the scanner on the back of the case like other brands with the X design.

shaneotool
Name: Paul

Post by shaneotool » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:34 am

I got an iphone XS last week to replace my iphone 6. I'm really enjoying it so far. I love the size. I'm a one-hand phone user and this is about as big a phone as you could handle one handed. Love the huge screen to body ratio. Not much bigger than the 6 - fits in the same pockets and places the 6 did - but it feels much bigger when using it because of the screen.

I wasnt sure how Id feel about the face id - but it's been great. just tape the screen and swipe up - it's almost like its not locked at all.