Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Get your nerd on.
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:18 pm

Torrid wrote:Does anyone know if they went back to the harder glass? The screen scratches on my 8 suck and that’s never happened with previous iPhones. Looks to be the case with the X as well.
It’s basically the same glass on the X on the new XS and Max. I have scratches on my X as well. I think it’s more the coating they put on the screen. Next phone I get I’ll be putting a screen protector on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:38 am

Next gen Face ID - (picks up phone) Siri voice - “You look like shit. Buy a damn razor.”
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

shaneotool
Name: Paul

Post by shaneotool » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:58 pm

I've still got an iphone 6. That was back when the new iphone was $199. I think there was a 2 year commitment, but I wasn't going anywhere.

It has taken a few years for me to adjust to the new pricing - but I am may check out the Xr when its available. Maybe a used X.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:48 pm

shaneotool wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:58 pm
I've still got an iphone 6. That was back when the new iphone was $199. I think there was a 2 year commitment, but I wasn't going anywhere.

It has taken a few years for me to adjust to the new pricing - but I am may check out the Xr when its available. Maybe a used X.
Yeah I paid outright for the new iPhone 8. First iPhone I ever got in the first week of release only because I needed a new phone and just came available and figured I’d actually get the latest one. That was pricy enough. I really thought I’d get the new Xs Max, but the more I think about it and the dumber I think the issue is, I just can’t get around having the home button and thumb print feature go away. I know the Face ID does work great, but I literally cannot see giving up the ability to quickly unlock a secured phone without having to tip the phone towards my face.

smalls
Name: Matt

Post by smalls » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:53 pm

Just upgraded to the xs max from a 7 plus and so far it’s been a positive experience. I can notice the speed bump and the added screen real estate is really nice, especially when viewing videos. I was very apprehensive about losing the home button but it’s really been a non event. My biggest challenge so far is I keep trying to bring up the control center from the bottom vs top right. Other than that I’ve been pleased. Oh, and the price sucks but what are you gonna do?

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:10 pm

So what's the deal with the Xr that is coming out? I took it to be like the 5c version of the Xs, but I can't believe how much cheaper it is. I would have thought if anyone didn't want to spend the money on an Xs or Xs Max that the iPhone 8 Plus would still be an attractive option, but it's a similar price to the 8 Plus. Still thinking about the Xs Max for myself.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:23 pm

Torrid wrote:So what's the deal with the Xr that is coming out? I took it to be like the 5c version of the Xs, but I can't believe how much cheaper it is. I would have thought if anyone didn't want to spend the money on an Xs or Xs Max that the iPhone 8 Plus would still be an attractive option, but it's a similar price to the 8 Plus. Still thinking about the Xs Max for myself.
The XR is a lot better than the 5c. The XR has 3gb ram (same as the X does), will have FaceID and the new design but an LCD display instead of OLED. Apple does fantastic LCD’s though. The biggest thing is it has the same A12 Chip the XS AND Max does.

To be honest I held out on upgrading and am waiting for the XR. Might grab one in red and keep it for next few years as I’m sick of upgrading and now my phone will just be for personal and all business and work through my iPad, so I don’t need the $1000 + phone. I’ll lease and reduce my payment and then just pay it off and keep it.

Torrid

Post by Torrid » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:47 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:23 pm
Torrid wrote:So what's the deal with the Xr that is coming out? I took it to be like the 5c version of the Xs, but I can't believe how much cheaper it is. I would have thought if anyone didn't want to spend the money on an Xs or Xs Max that the iPhone 8 Plus would still be an attractive option, but it's a similar price to the 8 Plus. Still thinking about the Xs Max for myself.
The XR is a lot better than the 5c. The XR has 3gb ram (same as the X does), will have FaceID and the new design but an LCD display instead of OLED. Apple does fantastic LCD’s though. The biggest thing is it has the same A12 Chip the XS AND Max does.

To be honest I held out on upgrading and am waiting for the XR. Might grab one in red and keep it for next few years as I’m sick of upgrading and now my phone will just be for personal and all business and work through my iPad, so I don’t need the $1000 + phone. I’ll lease and reduce my payment and then just pay it off and keep it.

That’s what I mean. It’s like the 5c version of it, but it seems incredibly capable from what it says on the Apple site. I can’t believe it’s that much cheaper. I wonder if I should do the same and keep the iPad.

Henryj
Bubblehead

Post by Henryj » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:46 pm

I don’t really want to upgrade, but I’m locked into the Apple ecosystem and dual Sim capability is a real plus for me. I just wish they’d get a grip on sizes. My 7 is about as big as I ever want to go for front pocket carry. Hell, I still have an SE I swap over to every now and then to remind myself that size isn’t everything.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Henryj wrote:I don’t really want to upgrade, but I’m locked into the Apple ecosystem and dual Sim capability is a real plus for me. I just wish they’d get a grip on sizes. My 7 is about as big as I ever want to go for front pocket carry. Hell, I still have an SE I swap over to every now and then to remind myself that size isn’t everything.
The XS is really just marginally bigger than the 7, yet it is all screen. You won’t notice a big size difference.

Henryj
Bubblehead

Post by Henryj » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:58 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:58 pm
Henryj wrote:I don’t really want to upgrade, but I’m locked into the Apple ecosystem and dual Sim capability is a real plus for me. I just wish they’d get a grip on sizes. My 7 is about as big as I ever want to go for front pocket carry. Hell, I still have an SE I swap over to every now and then to remind myself that size isn’t everything.
The XS is really just marginally bigger than the 7, yet it is all screen. You won’t notice a big size difference.

That’s how they get, little incremental changes. Next thing ya know, you’re trying to shove an iPad in your pocket.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:03 am

Henryj wrote:
That’s how they get, little incremental changes. Next thing ya know, you’re trying to shove an iPad in your pocket.

They already have that, it’s the plus (now max) version which has been around a few years. If you want an upgrade and want to hold on to older smaller form factor,
Grab the 8. It’s the last of that design but has the same chipset as the iPhone X and should get updates for the next 4 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Henryj
Bubblehead

Post by Henryj » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:54 am

8 doesn’t do dual sim. One phone that runs both Verizon and Etisalat would be a big deal for me.

I know I’ll be assimilated. I’m just an old guy so I figure I should bitch about it first, then roll over.