Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Get your nerd on.
ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire
Posts: 3044
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by ikkoku » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:42 am

Looks like more variety this year.

User avatar
Erratic101
Posts: 2211
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:40 am
Name: Justyn

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by Erratic101 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:53 am

My wife and I will both be grabbing the Xs in a few days. She’s currently on a 6s, so she’s really excited to make the jump. I’m actually glad that we held out and didn’t move to the X when it was released. It’s always good to let them workout some bugs and do minor tweaks first.

User avatar
logan2z
IT Admin
Posts: 9836
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:08 am
Name: Andrew
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by logan2z » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:12 am

No, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Android guy.

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14437
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by ericf4 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:14 am

logan2z wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:12 am
No, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Android guy.
same, no interest

User avatar
dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Posts: 8476
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:28 am
Name: David
Location: NY

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by dshap » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:16 am

Xs arrives Tuesday. Upgrading from a 7s.
-David

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 5464
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by Chocodove » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:00 pm

I have an X and love it. I always wait at least two years between phones, so maybe next fall.
- Todd

User avatar
Torrid
Posts: 5579
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am
Name: Heath
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by Torrid » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:05 pm

I won't be. I got the 8 when it came out and while it works as intended and I haven't had any issues with it I wish I would have kept my SE.

User avatar
TSD
Posts: 1344
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:47 am
Name: Tom
Location: So Fla

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by TSD » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:09 pm

I’m still looking for a replacement for my son, if any of you are going to want to sell your old iPhone 7. :pray:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=64235&p=1257421#p1257421

User avatar
smalls
Posts: 5026
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:02 am
Name: Matt
Location: South Carolina

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by smalls » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:37 pm

Looked at the Xs Max today. I’ve got a 7 plus so may go that route whenever stock starts showing up

User avatar
Panerai7
Posts: 14561
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm
Name: Art
Location: North Carolina

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:01 pm

ericf4 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:14 am
logan2z wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:12 am
No, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Android guy.
same, no interest
+1 meh.
I'm skipping Note 9 as I don't feel it's enough upgrade from my Note 8.
Will be waiting for GS10 or the new Foldable Galaxy that's been rumored

If it looks something like this I'm excited. Then gayPhone will steal it and call it revolutionary :lol:

Image
Last edited by Panerai7 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mellonb1
Posts: 3524
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:54 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Texas

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by mellonb1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:06 pm

logan2z wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:12 am
No, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Android guy.
Same here

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 27529
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by matt.wu » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:26 pm

Yep, but just b/c I'm on the upgrade program so small investment to move up. I also went back to the larger screen size to see how that is.
:htfu:

User avatar
Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Posts: 10363
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:36 am
Name: Joe
Location: Puerto Rico

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by Joeprez » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:28 pm

Happy with the X, no need to upgrade for now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image

Image

Omega / Rolex / Sinn / Oris / Seiko / Citizen / G Shock

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire
Posts: 3044
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by ikkoku » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:49 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:26 pm
Yep, but just b/c I'm on the upgrade program so small investment to move up. I also went back to the larger screen size to see how that is.
guess I'll be hitting you up in a year... :dance:

User avatar
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 pm
Name: Don

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:22 pm

I have the X and no plans to upgrade, I may just let the lease ride out the few more months it has and then see.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
hidden by leaves
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:09 am
Name: Anthony
Location: Great White North

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by hidden by leaves » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:27 pm

I'm still on a 6s plus... I like what I'm hearing about the new ones, but three things are holding me back so far:

1. Pricing - becoming a bit absurd. Not as absurd as watches, but still ;)
2. Losing the physical "home" button (+see below re: access - no home button, no fingerprint access)
3. Face recognition to unlock/access apps etc. Perhaps this is one of those things that "isn't so bad" once you use it, but to me it just seems like it would often be awkward/inconvenient more often than not and I really dislike the thought of it. I don't want to adapt my behaviour to technology - I thought it was supposed to be the other way around...

PS one of the things I do find intriguing is I can get the smaller version of the new iphone (XS) and actually have more screen area than my current much larger 6S plus.
Send lawyers, guns and money...

User avatar
Selym
Posts: 1547
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 pm
Name: Myles
Location: Massive Two Shits

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by Selym » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:32 pm

I'm not much of a phone guy; I just use whatever they give me at work. Right now it's a 6s, and I don't think I'm due for an upgrade until April 2019.

User avatar
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 pm
Name: Don

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by tattoo chef » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:16 pm

hidden by leaves wrote:I'm still on a 6s plus... I like what I'm hearing about the new ones, but three things are holding me back so far:

1. Pricing - becoming a bit absurd. Not as absurd as watches, but still ;)
2. Losing the physical "home" button (+see below re: access - no home button, no fingerprint access)
3. Face recognition to unlock/access apps etc. Perhaps this is one of those things that "isn't so bad" once you use it, but to me it just seems like it would often be awkward/inconvenient more often than not and I really dislike the thought of it. I don't want to adapt my behaviour to technology - I thought it was supposed to be the other way around...

PS one of the things I do find intriguing is I can get the smaller version of the new iphone (XS) and actually have more screen area than my current much larger 6S plus.
From someone using the X for almost a year now, I’ll address some of this.

Yes, price is absurd. Is what it is I guess. I use my phone daily and heavy for many things so I can justify it.

You get real used to the gestures. Believe me, I was skeptical as well, but after a day or two of using it, it’s second nature and more intuitive.

Once you setup the Face ID it’s something you don’t think about. You pick up the phone, it scans in a second or less and it’s unlocked.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 13914
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by dukerules » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:23 pm

Phones bore me now. My iPhone 7 does everything I need it to. I'll upgrade in a year or two.

User avatar
matt.wu
Wu
Posts: 27529
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Name: m@
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by matt.wu » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:41 pm

ikkoku wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:26 pm
Yep, but just b/c I'm on the upgrade program so small investment to move up. I also went back to the larger screen size to see how that is.
guess I'll be hitting you up in a year... :dance:
I'll be selling one X in a week... :)
:htfu:

User avatar
Graeme
Owner - SAS & Míleata
Posts: 1195
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:08 pm
Name: Graeme
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by Graeme » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm not an Apple guy any more, I switched to Samsung a few years ago and I'm egerly awaiting news of the Galaxy S10

Regards Graeme

Image

Image Image

User avatar
rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Posts: 15277
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:13 pm
Name: WDE

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by rockmastermike » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:51 pm

how does face recognition work in the dark...I don't want to light up the room by turning on the flashlight

User avatar
Chocodove
Posts: 5464
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm
Name: Todd
Location: NJ/NY

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by Chocodove » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:52 pm

rockmastermike wrote:how does face recognition work in the dark...I don't want to light up the room by turning on the flashlight
I have no idea, but it just works. Seriously 100% of the time.
- Todd

User avatar
hidden by leaves
Posts: 1618
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:09 am
Name: Anthony
Location: Great White North

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by hidden by leaves » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:05 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:16 pm
hidden by leaves wrote:I'm still on a 6s plus... I like what I'm hearing about the new ones, but three things are holding me back so far:

1. Pricing - becoming a bit absurd. Not as absurd as watches, but still ;)
2. Losing the physical "home" button (+see below re: access - no home button, no fingerprint access)
3. Face recognition to unlock/access apps etc. Perhaps this is one of those things that "isn't so bad" once you use it, but to me it just seems like it would often be awkward/inconvenient more often than not and I really dislike the thought of it. I don't want to adapt my behaviour to technology - I thought it was supposed to be the other way around...

PS one of the things I do find intriguing is I can get the smaller version of the new iphone (XS) and actually have more screen area than my current much larger 6S plus.
From someone using the X for almost a year now, I’ll address some of this.

Yes, price is absurd. Is what it is I guess. I use my phone daily and heavy for many things so I can justify it.

You get real used to the gestures. Believe me, I was skeptical as well, but after a day or two of using it, it’s second nature and more intuitive.

Once you setup the Face ID it’s something you don’t think about. You pick up the phone, it scans in a second or less and it’s unlocked.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, appreciate the real world thoughts.
Send lawyers, guns and money...

User avatar
Safetystop
Diving (muff) is not a team sport.
Posts: 1473
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:41 pm
Name: Dr. Eaton Beaver
Location: Here

Re: Anyone picked up or planning to pick up the new iPhone?

Post by Safetystop » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:57 pm

rockmastermike wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:51 pm
how does face recognition work in the dark...I don't want to light up the room by turning on the flashlight
IR blasters

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests