Just Landed Sony WH1000XM3 ANC Headphones

Get your nerd on.
ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Just Landed Sony WH1000XM3 ANC Headphones

Post by ericf4 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:07 pm

I was in NYC last week on a biz trip and after a few drinks at dinner decided I had to have a pair of ANC headphones.....I walked into Best Buy and picked up the Sony 1000xM2 headphones as id heard great things about them apart from some of the well known build quality issues. I was able to use them for a few hours that night and on my flight home the next day. When I got home I saw in my newsfeed that the M3 was just announced with new features like USB C, new processor, better design etc. I returned the M2 and saw on amazon they already were selling the M3. I was shocked as nowhere else seemed to even have them listed on their site yet for sale. I ordered them assuming it was a mistake and they would not show up. Well, they did show up on time.....:) NIce surprise.

I will say by impressions after using them for a few days compared to the M2:

-WAY better design, more comfy, lighter weight, more padding on top, better larger earcups and overall quality seems better than the M2. The changes are subtle but if you look closely you will see them.

-Battery life is incredible on both M2 and M3 but now with USBC its even a better experience. I literally put them on the charger for like 15 or 20 minutes and they were at 90%. Sony states that a 10 min charge will get 5 hours of playback.

-Sony claims that the noise reduction is 4x better than before. This is where I think I disagree. the M2's had exceptional ANC and these are much the same. You can still hear things going on around you with ANC on and its certainly not 4x better than before. The one area I notice is better is when you cup your hand over the right ear to allow the external microphones to let in noise going on around you, its not as loud and hissy as it was on the M2. IT still lets in the external sound but in a MUCH cleaner way without all the blown out noise around it. Well Done.

-I constantly read on how the M2's and M3's are terrible for use making phone calls. Reviewers mentioned how people complained of echos, terrible mic quality etc,. I was expecting the worst. I called my wife yesterday while she was in her car to try this out for the first time on a call. We spoke for about 20 minutes. She said that my voice was loud and clear and she would not have known I wasn't speaking directly into my phone, but rather the headset. She was in her car which usually would make it even worse so I was nicely surprised. I could hear her well on my end via the M3s so was happy there. I wonder whether this was fixed in these new gen M3s as my call experience was fantastic. My wife usually hates when I call her from a speakerphone etc and often complains that I need to speak into the phone etc so for the M3 to pass her test was pretty incredible.

-I am Happy they finally made a carry case that fits the headphones AND the cables that come with it.....M2 was stupid that only the headphones fit in the case but none of the cords....lol.....really?

-The Sony App is the key here too in that is allows for great customization of the sound on the M3 so i highly recommend using it. THe strange thing is that it supports super high quality sound like LDAC but if you make any change via the app to the EQ settings etc it makes you default to lesser quality codec......weird.....not sure why.

-I have heard some people say they are a bit Bass heavy but really with the app you can tailor however you like. That said i like bass and man these things can put out in a clean way where the bass isnt distracting at all. THese are very clean headphones and the sound to me is better than Bose QC35.......

All in all, very happy with them and i presume over time Sony will keep pushing updates to them via the app. For instance now they allow Google Assistant and Siri. Ive been using Google assistant on them and its pretty great albeit with a bit of latency to the responses.

Let's not forget how great it is to have touch gestures built into the right earcup too. Man I can't imagine not being able to do this now on every headphone. It's kinda like when your on a buddy's PC and you go to swipe or pinch the screen only to find their PC isn't touchscreen. Lol. Yeah the m3 is that cool. Love using gestures for volume, play, pause, skip, activating Google assistant etc.

All in all these are a great experience. Hope this helps if you are on the fence.Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Re: Just Landed Sony WH1000XM3 ANC Headphones

Post by Chocodove » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:13 pm

Nice. If I were in the market for over the ear headphones I’d def take a look at these. I have a 1.5 hour commute each way every day and honestly don’t know how I did it without ANC earbuds prior to getting my QC20’s. It’s like a another world.
- Todd

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:06 pm

I have the M2's and like them. What's the price diff w/ the M3's?
:htfu:

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:30 pm

matt.wu wrote:I have the M2's and like them. What's the price diff w/ the M3's?
I know. Your mention of them in a thread got me looking at them in first place. 350 versus 300

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:30 pm

https://youtu.be/AJHohB37B9Y

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:10 pm

Those look great. I really understand what they mean by cabin pressure. I have older style noise canceling headphones and there is a noticeable “pressure” sensation.
The Hapa

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:19 pm

HapaHapa wrote:Those look great. I really understand what they mean by cabin pressure. I have older style noise canceling headphones and there is a noticeable “pressure” sensation.
These def do better w pressure than Bose I've used. Also on the app for these you can click a button to run an atmospheric test and sets accordingly.

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:17 am

I may have to try these. I'm flying to France at the end of next month, taking the overnight flight out of Boston. Noise cancelling headphones are the only thing that keeps me human on these flights.