Sling TV

Get your nerd on.
User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14307
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Sling TV

Post by ericf4 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:25 am

Finally signed up for Sling tv on a 30 day trial. It performs flawlessly. Cable will be cut in New year. I get all the channels I want without the other 300 I don't want. So cheap too. With the Sling Blue plan and HBO added and a few add on like cloud DVR it's only $55 a month versus $125 I pay to ATT. Plus you can watch it on all the TV's, phones, tablets etc. Bye bye cable.

You can get a solid selection of channels for as little as 20-$25 a month. Incredible. I find it far more user friendly than cable too. I don't have to sift thru 400 shit channels, instead I have to he ones I actually watch plus a few I don't.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
fastward
Fast Eddie
Posts: 11225
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Sling TV

Post by fastward » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:19 am

I had Sling and moved to PS Vue about a year ago.
There were too many glitches and not enough choices. I haven’t used our digital antenna since I made the switch.
Hopefully they have been able to work this issues out.

Either way, it’s a better set up than traditional cable or satellite.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14307
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Sling TV

Post by ericf4 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:18 am

fastward wrote:I had Sling and moved to PS Vue about a year ago.
There were too many glitches and not enough choices. I haven’t used our digital antenna since I made the switch.
Hopefully they have been able to work this issues out.

Either way, it’s a better set up than traditional cable or satellite.
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been totally flawless for the week we've been using. I'm sure it has to do with quality of internet and equipment too. Using the Bravia tv sling app on the new TV and Roku ultra on other TV's.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk



User avatar
fastward
Fast Eddie
Posts: 11225
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Sling TV

Post by fastward » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:22 am

I had it when they first launched and they had technical issues on their end.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14307
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Sling TV

Post by ericf4 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:24 am

fastward wrote:I had it when they first launched and they had technical issues on their end.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah I'm sure it's much better now. Seriously been flawless.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
BacoNoir
Posts: 1947
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 6:33 pm
Name: Roger
Location: Colorado

Re: Sling TV

Post by BacoNoir » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:58 pm

I’ve tried them twice and cancelled twice due to the app crashing all the time. We were using it through a Windows Media Center PC.
Image

User avatar
YOHOHO
Dirty Closet Hinderer Whore
Posts: 2270
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:14 pm
Name: Josh
Location: SoCal

Re: Sling TV

Post by YOHOHO » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:08 pm

I've had sling hardwired through Roku for over 2yrs now. Fewer issues than my previous cable plan....

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk


User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Sling TV

Post by dnslater » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:40 am

I like PlayStation Vue. Just subscribe for March Madness then deactivate in April on my Firestick. Can’t do that so easily with Cable.

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14307
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Sling TV

Post by ericf4 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:08 am

That's the key for sling, vue etc. Change anything anytime.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
Grahamcombat
Posts: 4137
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:24 pm
Name: Graham

Re: Sling TV

Post by Grahamcombat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:49 am

My biggest problem - actually the wife’s biggest - was no NFL games. And an off-air antenna won’t work where we are. So...that kinda sucked for us about cutting the cable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User avatar
gwells
Posts: 6471
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 11:05 am
Name: Greg
Location: NoVA

Re: Sling TV

Post by gwells » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:25 pm

Sports is always my issue. I could get local NFL over the air, but MLB just won’t work. And they black out the streaming for local teams.

User avatar
Grahamcombat
Posts: 4137
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:24 pm
Name: Graham

Re: Sling TV

Post by Grahamcombat » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:42 pm

Our over the air is non existent where I live: I bought over the air antennas from $5 to a thousand and none of them worked.

But thankfully you can plug any cable line into any cable tv Jack and get the core channels so that solves our network football problem.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User avatar
tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Posts: 4453
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:03 pm
Name: Don

Sling TV

Post by tattoo chef » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:38 pm

I would love to do this but where we live we only have one option for good internet service and that is Xfinity. If we cancel the cable out of our package they will charge us $125 or more just for the internet which makes it basically the same price as our current package if we did the $55 sling.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckW
Posts: 1024
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:59 pm
Name: Chuck

Re: Sling TV

Post by ChuckW » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:33 pm

The main issue with streaming services is that they require an Internet connection with decent speed. Now that net neutrality no longer exists, what are the odds that Internet service providers like ATT and Comcast slow down Internet speeds to streaming services that they regard as competition to their own TV business?
Image

User avatar
hoppyjr
HJ
Posts: 30712
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:05 am
Name: Hoppy
Location: Washington State

Re: Sling TV

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:42 pm

ChuckW wrote:The main issue with streaming services is that they require an Internet connection with decent speed. Now that net neutrality no longer exists, what are the odds that Internet service providers like ATT and Comcast slow down Internet speeds to streaming services that they regard as competition to their own TV business?
Well, they didn’t before Net Neutrally took effect in 2015, so I’d say chances are it stays the same.

I won’t get political, but will say there are two sides to the argument.

ChuckW
Posts: 1024
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:59 pm
Name: Chuck

Re: Sling TV

Post by ChuckW » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:56 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:42 pm
ChuckW wrote:The main issue with streaming services is that they require an Internet connection with decent speed. Now that net neutrality no longer exists, what are the odds that Internet service providers like ATT and Comcast slow down Internet speeds to streaming services that they regard as competition to their own TV business?
Well, they didn’t before Net Neutrally took effect in 2015, so I’d say chances are it stays the same.

I won’t get political, but will say there are two sides to the argument.
So, this is what happened before Net Neutrality took effect.

https://arstechnica.com/information-te ... mprove-65/

There may not be much joy for cord cutters.
Image

User avatar
BBK357
Ban Jacobs
Posts: 24022
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:01 pm
Name: Vladimir Makarov
Location: Ohio

Re: Sling TV

Post by BBK357 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:50 pm

My inlaws have sling. We used it a few times last week watching Christmas movies and it worked great.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DEATH FROM ABOVE
:ak:

User avatar
aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Posts: 7224
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:50 am
Name: Dr Jay
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Sling TV

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:14 am

If you think the big companies won’t take advantage of the loss of net neutrality to the detriment of all of us, I have a bridge to sell you.

Thanks for the info on Sling. We have the Firestick and still need cable.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14307
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Sling TV

Post by ericf4 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:52 am

aikiman44 wrote:If you think the big companies won’t take advantage of the loss of net neutrality to the detriment of all of us, I have a bridge to sell you.

Thanks for the info on Sling. We have the Firestick and still need cable.
My firestick didn't work well, was sluggish and glitchy. I threw it away before going to the Roku ultra. Seems those sticks are woefully underpowered.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
aikiman44
Tiki Extraordinaire
Posts: 7224
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:50 am
Name: Dr Jay
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: Sling TV

Post by aikiman44 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:36 am

My son also recommends the Roku over the Firestick.
"We'd better synchronize our watches."

User avatar
Grahamcombat
Posts: 4137
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:24 pm
Name: Graham

Re: Sling TV

Post by Grahamcombat » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:38 am

I’ve not used fire stick but we do have three of the Fire “bases” that Amazon has and they’ve been perfect.

I am thinking of swapping all of them out for new Apple TV bases since ATV now includes Amazon programming.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14307
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Sling TV

Post by ericf4 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:08 am

Grahamcombat wrote:I’ve not used fire stick but we do have three of the Fire “bases” that Amazon has and they’ve been perfect.

I am thinking of swapping all of them out for new Apple TV bases since ATV now includes Amazon programming.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The stick devices simply don't pack enough horsepower. Most everyone I've ever heard from who had streaming issues seemed to use either a $30 cheapo stick, or jailbroken ones etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Sling TV

Post by dnslater » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:20 am

We have fire sticks on 3 tv’s with no issues.... one of them has the newest version which has a much faster processor. I like the ease of integration with Amazon. Internet speed is probably also a variable.

I do worry about the neutrality thing since my provider is AT&T owns Direct TV. Time will tell I suppose. Just too few companies pulling the strings.

User avatar
ericf4
(TBD) Penis
Posts: 14307
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:04 am
Contact:

Re: Sling TV

Post by ericf4 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:39 am

dnslater wrote:We have fire sticks on 3 tv’s with no issues.... one of them has the newest version which has a much faster processor. I like the ease of integration with Amazon. Internet speed is probably also a variable.

I do worry about the neutrality thing since my provider is AT&T owns Direct TV. Time will tell I suppose. Just too few companies pulling the strings.
But att owns DirecTV which also has a great streaming service DirecTV Now. It's like sling.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


User avatar
dnslater
Posts: 5390
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:52 pm
Name: Nick
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Sling TV

Post by dnslater » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:19 am

ericf4 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:39 am
dnslater wrote:We have fire sticks on 3 tv’s with no issues.... one of them has the newest version which has a much faster processor. I like the ease of integration with Amazon. Internet speed is probably also a variable.

I do worry about the neutrality thing since my provider is AT&T owns Direct TV. Time will tell I suppose. Just too few companies pulling the strings.
But att owns DirecTV which also has a great streaming service DirecTV Now. It's like sling.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Exactly, which makes me wonder if they will slow down competitors, like Sling, Netflix, Amazon, Etc.,. To push you towards Direct TV Now.

First world problem I guess.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest