iPhone X

Get your nerd on.
james80
Name: James

Re: iPhone X

Post by james80 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:32 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
james80 wrote:Interesting that they've gone back to earbuds with a cable, albeit with a lightning connector. They are also including a lightning to 3.5mm adapter with all new models.

I like my 6S plus, I had a 5 for more that three years and expect to have this for while.
Where did you read that? The new AirPods 2 are are coming out soon, but basic ear pods have always been included. They did them with the lightning adapter starting last year when they removed the headphone jack.

The AirPods are a separate purchase at like $160, which is crazy. They should include them with the iPhone x for the price..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I must be mistaken or confused or both.

I thought the 7 came with the wireless ones?

The "what's in the box" for the 8 and X says earbuds with with a lightening plug as well as an adapter.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:34 pm

james80 wrote:
tattoo chef wrote:
james80 wrote:Interesting that they've gone back to earbuds with a cable, albeit with a lightning connector. They are also including a lightning to 3.5mm adapter with all new models.

I like my 6S plus, I had a 5 for more that three years and expect to have this for while.
Where did you read that? The new AirPods 2 are are coming out soon, but basic ear pods have always been included. They did them with the lightning adapter starting last year when they removed the headphone jack.

The AirPods are a separate purchase at like $160, which is crazy. They should include them with the iPhone x for the price..

I must be mistaken or confused or both.

I thought the 7 came with the wireless ones?

The "what's in the box" for the 8 and X says earbuds with with a lightening plug as well as an adapter.
Air pods have always been an extra purchase and not included.
- Todd

zepp21
Name: Alex

Post by zepp21 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:17 pm

matt.wu wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:11 am
^^^A biased study done by Apple no doubt. Us Android users may be more frugal maybe, but I'll challenge the higher earners and educated statements.
Do you really the study is saying all Android users make that choice because they're stupid and poor? It's ridiculous to read it that way and be offended. It likely has more to do with popularity within regions, relative cost of living, and targeting pricing accordingly.
I mean, maybe rich people are stupid enough to be suckered into the apple cult :poke: :neener:

But in all seriousness, apple products generally cost more than others so you could probably draw that conclusion without even needing a study.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Here's a slightly dated article but I found it interesting, demonstrating that higher income gravitates towards iPhones
http://www.businessinsider.com/android- ... aps-2014-4

another one that speaks about Race and iOS vs Android
http://gizmodo.com/5977625/android-is-p ... e-its-good

"And it's not purely an income game—other socioeconomic factors that correlate heavily with the amount of money you've got in your pocket line up perfectly. Federal census data pegs black and hispanic households at median income (and ergo spending) levels tens of thousands of dollars below their white peers—and statistically, those same households are going Android at higher rates. A full 12-percent more black and hispanic smartphone users are Android users compared to Apple customers, and owners of any race with a high school diploma or less made up 38-percent of Android owners, over iPhone's 31-percent mark in that cohort."
Last edited by Panerai7 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

streetracer101
Name: Mr Shackleford

Post by streetracer101 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:34 pm

zepp21 wrote:
matt.wu wrote:
59yukon01 wrote:
^^^A biased study done by Apple no doubt. Us Android users may be more frugal maybe, but I'll challenge the higher earners and educated statements.
Do you really the study is saying all Android users make that choice because they're stupid and poor? It's ridiculous to read it that way and be offended. It likely has more to do with popularity within regions, relative cost of living, and targeting pricing accordingly.
I mean, maybe rich people are stupid enough to be suckered into the apple cult :poke: :neener:

But in all seriousness, apple products generally cost more than others so you could probably draw that conclusion without even needing a study.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
This. Most Android's are cheaper than Mac based products. In the past, they were often offered as cheap or free upgrades. It's not difficult to understand why they'd be more popular with smaller income earners.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:59 pm

Keep in mind in the info tech world, which I've been in for 30+ years, more expensive does not always equate to a better product, and that's where my marketing BS statement comes in. Hype can sell any product to the gullible masses apparently. Just look at any annoying commercial for proof. Not saying Apple is better than Android or vise versa, it's what works best for you. When I finally have to upgrade I'm sticking with team Android.

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:00 pm

Ryeguy wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:28 pm
matt.wu wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:04 pm
59yukon01 wrote:
Here is an interesting article to Matt's point above: https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/11/ios-market-share-kantar/

A separate study shows that Android now has 88% of the global smartphone market share. iOS is roughly 12%. In India, for example, Android has a 97% market share.

Drawing any local-level conclusion from that study isn't really a possibility. Heck, in the US, the percentages are still 55% to 43% in favor of Android.
The numbers aren't a surprise. Apple vs a variety of manufacturers, which cover the spectrum of cost.

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:12 pm

matt.wu wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:11 pm
bedlam wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:15 pm
Just read this...
Apple has argued in court that iPhones are only guaranteed to last one year.

https://www.techly.com.au/2017/09/15/ap ... -one-year/
Isn't this just a definition of the warranty provided? It doesn't even say iPhones are only designed to last one year...
Its an issue in Oz because the law says a device needs to be able to reasonably perform as advertised/expected regardless of the manufacturer warranty. So a phone screen dying after 12 months with normal use is not acceptable under our consumer law. Even more so if the phone was sold on a 24 month contract. It needs to perform as advertised at least for the duration of the contract or it would be deemed not to be of merchantable quality.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:49 am

I'm happy with my iPhone 7+ and won't be upgrading. We'll get one of the new ones for my wife to replace her 6, though.
I'd be more willing to switch to android if all my purchased music wasn't in iTunes. Is there an easy way to move it over?
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:55 am

CGSshorty wrote:I'm happy with my iPhone 7+ and won't be upgrading. We'll get one of the new ones for my wife to replace her 6, though.
I'd be more willing to switch to android if all my purchased music wasn't in iTunes. Is there an easy way to move it over?
There is software that strips the DRM protection from iTunes music. At least there was years ago when I did it. I believe it was from Purple Ghost, but I'm sure there are many options.

Thinking about it, I'm not even sure that iTunes music still has DRM. You may be able to just drag & drop you iTunes music from its folder into a different folder and be done.

gwells
Name: Greg

Post by gwells » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:28 am

it's been a while since itunes music was DRMed. i'm sure conversion won't be a big issue. worst case, as hoppy says, run through a converter. or even just redownload from apple.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:29 am

What about the old stuff? Did they remove the DRM protection from old purchases?
David St. Hubbins

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:46 am

CGSshorty wrote:What about the old stuff? Did they remove the DRM protection from old purchases?
That's what converter software will do.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:47 am

^ there are (or at least were) Android apps that allowed syncing with iTunes music too.

ItnStln

iPhone X

Post by ItnStln » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:22 am

CGSshorty wrote:I'd be more willing to switch to android if all my purchased music wasn't in iTunes. Is there an easy way to move it over?
Two that I've used in the past are MediaMonkey and doubleTwist. Also Samsung Kies used to allow you to NSYNC your iTunes library with a Samsung smartphone. Another option would be Google Play Music which will sync a specified folder with your Google Play Music account and allow you to stream on your device as well as download to your device.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks, guys. Good to know there are options.
David St. Hubbins

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:53 am

CGSshorty wrote:Thanks, guys. Good to know there are options.
Do you have Apple Music?
If you do, you can get Apple Music in google play now, so you can have all your music on an android device.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:53 am

tattoo chef wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:53 am
CGSshorty wrote:Thanks, guys. Good to know there are options.
Do you have Apple Music?
If you do, you can get Apple Music in google play now, so you can have all your music on an android device.

Yep that's what I use and Spotify

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:06 am

No. I'm old school and store my music on my phone.
David St. Hubbins

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:12 am

CGSshorty wrote:No. I'm old school and store my music on my phone.
I have it on both...only because in areas where service is not great, I can still listen to music in the car.
I'm not 100% sure but I think once you add Apple Music, it puts all your songs into the library as well. And then if you ever switched to android, you would have all your music once you download Apple Music and sign in.
I pay $15 a month for the share plan (3 of us) and you can dream any song at any time, and download all songs and albums at no extra charge.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:15 am

I've got five of us on the Apple Music family plan. Best $15 a month I spend.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:17 am

hoppyjr wrote:I've got five of us on the Apple Music family plan. Best $15 a month I spend.
That's what I pay on Spotify, is apple any better? Or they all kinda same?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>

Post by tattoo chef » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:36 am

ericf4 wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:I've got five of us on the Apple Music family plan. Best $15 a month I spend.

I think they are similar. I use Apple Music because on iPhone it is integrated with Siri, so I can just say, Hey Siri, play piano man and it will play it even if not in my library, or Siri, play my music shuffled, etc.

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:09 pm

ericf4 wrote:

Similar, but the Apple family plan costs less and is better integrated into our two cars.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Bummer that certain artists cannot be streamed as they won't allow it. Tool, Peter Gabriel and others.

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer