iPhone X

Get your nerd on.
Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Re: iPhone X

Post by Joeprez » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:02 pm

Better camera, better display, no physical button and face recognition software (meh). As far as I remember those are the big differences.

The 8 plus will be a huge upgrade for me coming from the 6.

I think I have a mental barrier with paying $1k for a phone.

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:06 pm

I've opened things with my face before. Didn't really work out >>>>>
Last edited by deepcdvr on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:07 pm

Joeprez wrote:
I like that the new apple watch is a stand alone device (yes yes, I know that samsung already did that).
That's what I mean, the people acted like this was new tech when other watches could do it already. Apple needs to be that company that does it first rather than embarrassing itself by acting like they are bringing you something ground breaking. They more than have the talent and know how. I used to look to them as a North Star of what was the future, but now it's just a bad parody of itself. At least their products are pretty damn solid though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:11 pm

8+ has the same dual camera, battery, processor, ram as X.
The only differences are larger OLED Samsung panel with thinner bezel and no physical button with Face ID instead of Touch ID on the X.
Last edited by Panerai7 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:12 pm

Even better then :thumbsup:

bedlam
Name: Carl

Post by bedlam » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:36 pm

Using a Google phone (Nexus 5x).

Half the price of the flagship Apple and Samsung stuff with regular Android OS updates from Google keeping it up to date. Don't really know why I'd pay double for not much extra.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

iPhone X

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 pm

I am an apple iOS user through and through, I had a 6s plus..upgraded to an iPhone 7 a week ago because they had a lease one get one deal and I wanted to get my mother a phone. (I pay for mothers phone, least I can do for her).
I will get the IPhone X next year. I could have waited but the 7 deal was too good to pass up. Literally a phone for free.
As far as price, I lease and can upgrade every year and pay monthly so price does not effect me.

As far as the phone, when it comes to apple, and apple users; this is the biggest change apple has done since the iPhone 6. So I'm not seeing where there is no wow. Yes, Samsung, Motorola etc did it first, as well as a couple of Chinese phones, but edge to edge screen is in, so that's what they went with. Honestly I think we are done with massive innovation for a few years.
That said, between the new hardware, software chip and design, the iPhone X will be one of the best on the market.

*typed while drunk so apologies if makes no sense or is a ramble,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:51 am

Not as big an Apple fan as I used to be. I don't like the current phones except for the 5SE I have now. Just picked up the new version of the iPad Pro 256G and it's sweet though.

Really like the white/gold look. Both my phone and iPad are those versions.

demer03
Current Forecast: Vintage Doxa
Name: Mike

Post by demer03 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:01 am

Meh...if my company upgrades me, whatever. Happy with my 6+
Stupid $$
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:31 am

Ironically, one of the main reasons I switched from Android to Apple is my IT security folks made us use some extra encryption on our phones. The Apple TouchID met their security standards, but the Android face recognition did not, which meant for Android users you had to type in your 9 digit passcode every time you wanted to use the phone.

Now with Apple losing the TouchID feature, I wonder if they will change this IT policy.

All things being equal, I might consider changing back to Android if the feature set is better.

I do get the sense that Apple has lost its way since Jobs passed on. They nailed the user interface experience years ago and their hardware and software integration was historically solid. In recent years, however, I haven't seen anything "must have" from them.

Chocodove
Name: Todd

Post by Chocodove » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:41 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:31 am
Ironically, one of the main reasons I switched from Android to Apple is my IT security folks made us use some extra encryption on our phones. The Apple TouchID met their security standards, but the Android face recognition did not, which meant for Android users you had to type in your 9 digit passcode every time you wanted to use the phone.

Now with Apple losing the TouchID feature, I wonder if they will change this IT policy.

All things being equal, I might consider changing back to Android if the feature set is better.

I do get the sense that Apple has lost its way since Jobs passed on. They nailed the user interface experience years ago and their hardware and software integration was historically solid. In recent years, however, I haven't seen anything "must have" from them.
Supposedly the chance of someone other than the user unlocking touch is 1:50,000 whereas Face ID is 1:1,000,000. Unless you have an identical twin.
- Todd

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:57 am

I have a Iphone 7 and my wife an I have an iPad, MacBook etc so probably going to stay with Apple. Probably not going to buy the new iPhone yet. I've always thought that Apple IOS security was better than Android. Android has always had a lot of malware cases. I'm not sure if IOS is that much of an advantage over Android today. The $1,000 price is nuts...Make a longer lasting batter that doesn't catch on fire and then you have something.

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:08 am

Ryeguy wrote:Ironically, one of the main reasons I switched from Android to Apple is my IT security folks made us use some extra encryption on our phones. The Apple TouchID met their security standards, but the Android face recognition did not, which meant for Android users you had to type in your 9 digit passcode every time you wanted to use the phone.

Get and iPhone 8, that one has touch ID.

I haven't seen a must have from any phone in th last two years, the segment is mature, so we won't see big stuff (like when the iPhone came out) for a while. Still enjoy the apple iOS ecosystem, so I'm staying with them.

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:50 am

Ryeguy wrote:Ironically, one of the main reasons I switched from Android to Apple is my IT security folks made us use some extra encryption on our phones. The Apple TouchID met their security standards, but the Android face recognition did not, which meant for Android users you had to type in your 9 digit passcode every time you wanted to use the phone.

Yeah face recognition isn't as secure as fingerprint scanner which most Android phones have and frankly I prefer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:57 am

Chocodove wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:41 am
Ryeguy wrote:

Supposedly the chance of someone other than the user unlocking touch is 1:50,000 whereas Face ID is 1:1,000,000. Unless you have an identical twin.
Is that for the iPhone new face recognition or for all face recognition?

Again, the policy was not mine, but rather the IT security wonks where I work. I just found it remarkably unsafe to try to touch in a 9 digit security code while cruising down the highway. Much easier just to touch the button.

@ Joe - the iPhone 8 might be the next jump, but in all honesty, the 7 I currently have is fine. I'll only upgrade once the hardware can no longer support the next release OS.

I'm really not one of those guys who needs the latest mobile phone gadget. I just want a good reliable device that does the basics well.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:17 am

Ryeguy wrote:
Chocodove wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:41 am
Ryeguy wrote:

Is that for the iPhone new face recognition or for all face recognition?

Again, the policy was not mine, but rather the IT security wonks where I work. I just found it remarkably unsafe to try to touch in a 9 digit security code while cruising down the highway. Much easier just to touch the button.

@ Joe - the iPhone 8 might be the next jump, but in all honesty, the 7 I currently have is fine. I'll only upgrade once the hardware can no longer support the next release OS.

I'm really not one of those guys who needs the latest mobile phone gadget. I just want a good reliable device that does the basics well.
For the iPhone face recognition...

I used to be the latest and greatest phone guy but things are stagnant now. While the new screen on the X is nice, I didn't need it this year and the 7 is working well and we all will get a bump in functionality with iOS 11 next week.

iPhones, androids etc, they all do the same things. I think androids still have a few flashier things like dual screens and such on certain models but I like the IOS ecosystem and I'm one of those guys that has never found an Android he has loved. I've tried a lot..just not for me. Always go back to iPhone. I stopped trying other phones 2 years ago. Will it always be that way? Probably not.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:02 am

I have both platforms and prefer Android. I have an Iphone 7 for work and a PixelXL for personal use. I just find Android easier to use. The XL takes awesome photos as well.
https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

Joeprez

Post by Joeprez » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:50 am

Good comparison between the three new iphones:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ip ... ne-8-plus/

gamecock111
Name: Doug

Post by gamecock111 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 am

I am not a big picture taker. I am not sure why I keep updating.

59yukon01
1.21 gigawatts?!
Name: David

Post by 59yukon01 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 am

I'll stick with my HTC M7 android phone. It still easily does what I use it for, even after almost 4 years. Yeah the camera definitely could be better but it'll do. Never got into the iPhone craze, and with the rising prices likely never will.

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 am

I'll probably spring for the X for the blond chick. She has a 7 plus now, had a 6 plus before and has always said it was just a bit too big for her hand. She didn't want a 6 or 7 because she says the screen is too small. The X might be the one for her, physically a bit smaller than a plus, but bigger screen size.
“Punishable by fine” = Legal for a price.”

hidden by leaves
Name: Anthony

Post by hidden by leaves » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 am

I can't take my eyes off that cutout at the top of the X screen. Unless somehow you "get used to it" I think that's a horrible design decision (at least in terms of UI and aesthetics).

Send lawyers, guns and money...

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:43 am

hidden by leaves wrote:I can't take my eyes off that cutout at the top of the X screen. Unless somehow you "get used to it" I think that's a horrible design decision (at least in terms of UI and aesthetics).

I agree. A better solution would have been to use an LCD top bar, or e-ink type display, on each side of the cutout. The wifi, signal, battery, BT, etc could have lived in those two top bars. It would have given the screen an even edge, but I'm sure Apple wanted the largest possible screen measurement.

ItnStln

Post by ItnStln » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:46 am

ericf4 wrote:I always look fwd to seeing apple announcements even though I'm not an iPhone user. Todays around iPhone x was a yawn. Am i missing something? Everything they talked about, my Android pretty well already does. Using your face to unlock the device quickly, yes. Having an edge to edge screen, yes already done. Hmm at a grand, i would want some stuff thats new and different. Were there any new features i missed that are actually not a redo of stuff already done before? I know that innovation cycles can only produce so much more unique feature sets as product categories mature but man Apple used to blow me away with the way you could interact with their devices and the capabilities they could empower users with.

I mean shit, people in the crowd were applauding using your face to unlock the device like it was the frickin moon landing......crazy.
Yeah nothing was earth shattering. The LTE in the Apple Watch? Samsung has had that for three years. The Apple TV 4K? There's been a Google Chromecast that supported 4K for like two years. The iPhones? There was nothing new in them that Android hasn't had for years. I remember using my face to unlock my Samsung Galaxy Nexus in 2011.

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:43 pm

ItnStln wrote:
ericf4 wrote:I always look fwd to seeing apple announcements even though I'm not an iPhone user. Todays around iPhone x was a yawn. Am i missing something? Everything they talked about, my Android pretty well already does. Using your face to unlock the device quickly, yes. Having an edge to edge screen, yes already done. Hmm at a grand, i would want some stuff thats new and different. Were there any new features i missed that are actually not a redo of stuff already done before? I know that innovation cycles can only produce so much more unique feature sets as product categories mature but man Apple used to blow me away with the way you could interact with their devices and the capabilities they could empower users with.

I mean shit, people in the crowd were applauding using your face to unlock the device like it was the frickin moon landing......crazy.
Yeah nothing was earth shattering. The LTE in the Apple Watch? Samsung has had that for three years. The Apple TV 4K? There's been a Google Chromecast that supported 4K for like two years. The iPhones? There was nothing new in them that Android hasn't had for years. I remember using my face to unlock my Samsung Galaxy Nexus in 2011.
In fairness to Apple (and their not being first to market) when they do launch a product it generally works as intended, without too many bumps in the road.