Post by bedlam » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Just read about this;
Apple confirms iPhone 8 crackling earpiece issue and says a fix is coming

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... fix-coming

Chocodove
Name: Todd

iPhone X

Post by Chocodove » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:23 am

Mine was delivered yesterday. It’s pretty neat and a drastic improvement over the 6 I’ve been using for the past 2+ years (obviously). Face ID really works and it’s a little unsettling at first. So far it’s only failed when I held the phone to close to my face when I woke up this morning. Supposedly it gets better as you use it an adjusts to your face. It’s ridiculously easy to set up.

Navigation takes a bit of getting used to since everything is based on swiping as opposed to the non-existent home button.

Animojis may be the stupidest thing ever but damn they are fun to play around with.

- Todd

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Re: iPhone X

Post by tattoo chef » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:43 pm

I was by an Apple store today as went out of town (don’t have one near me), so I thought screw it, I’ll go in and take a look. I fell in love with it.
I ordered one when I got home.
I watch a lot of tech Youtube channels and to be honest I think most of them are way off or just biased.
The gestures to me were easy to use and I actually like the swipe feature as opposed to the home button. I messed around with it for only 2-3 minutes and had no issues. It’s also thicker than past iPhones, which makes it feel better in hand and I think the phone looks very premium, at least in person.
Won’t have it for a week or so, but I’ll update after I’ve had it for a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:49 pm

I think I’ll pass. A smaller battery than my 7+ together with a larger, more power hungry screen gives me pause.

I’m guessing there will be a X+ or XI next year, hopefully with larger battery.

I don’t understand why they don’t just make all of the phones a bit thicker and double the battery life.

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:54 pm

I checked out all the new phones yesterday (8, 8+, X) at Verizon. The X was cool for sure but I couldn’t justify the extra cash for it. It’s an iPhone like any other with different ways of doing the same things. That’s it imo. Maybe next year year. I ended up walking out with a 256gb 8+. BTW I recommend Magpul cases!

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:55 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:49 pm
I think I’ll pass. A smaller battery than my 7+ together with a larger, more power hungry screen gives me pause.

I don’t understand why they don’t just make all of the phones a bit thicker and double the battery life.

According to Apple it suppose to last 2 hours longer than the 8+

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:05 pm

tattoo chef wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:43 pm
I was by an Apple store today as went out of town (don’t have one near me), so I thought screw it, I’ll go in and take a look. I fell in love with it.
I ordered one when I got home.
I watch a lot of tech Youtube channels and to be honest I think most of them are way off or just biased.
The gestures to me were easy to use and I actually like the swipe feature as opposed to the home button. I messed around with it for only 2-3 minutes and had no issues. It’s also thicker than past iPhones, which makes it feel better in hand and I think the phone looks very premium, at least in person.
Won’t have it for a week or so, but I’ll update after I’ve had it for a few days.

Three days in and I have pretty much forgotten the home button existed. It's super easy to zoom around between apps with the swiping. Everything just works, which isn't a surprise coming from Apple. Battery has been no issue whatsoever. I'm very happy with it.
- Todd

nweash
Name: Nick

iPhone X

Post by nweash » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:55 pm

Had mine 3 days now.

Screen doesn’t get as bright as the 7+. Manages to have better anti reflection. So even in broad daylight I have great visibility. I hope that means it’s more energy efficient.

Ultra wide looks great on Netflix and I watched the Iowa Hawkeyes game on it. Battery data said for 22% of my battery I watched 54 minutes steaming on directv app.

If you came from a plus model you may feel like you downgraded at first . When typing the keyboard is slightly more narrow than a plus. For all the apps not optimized to the screen yet you really feel like it’s a tiny phone. Cropped at the top and bottom.

Gestures took less than a few hours to adjust too. Your instinct is to go to the Home bottom and press, but once you get there you just remember to flick up all in the same motion.

Face ID works well, but sometimes I’ll have the phone on the desk in front of me and want to unlock it, so it’s just the minor inconvenience of having to pick it up and face me.

Oh yeah and you can be a talking shithead. $1000 feature right there.
Last edited by nweash on Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:56 pm

apnk wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:49 pm

According to Apple it suppose to last 2 hours longer than the 8+
What I’ve read suggests that isn’t the reality. If it is I’ll reconsider.

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:49 pm

hoppyjr wrote:I think I’ll pass. A smaller battery than my 7+ together with a larger, more power hungry screen gives me pause.

OLED displays actually use less power than an LCD (as in the previous phones), so the battery size is likely a wash.

- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Chocodove wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:I think I’ll pass. A smaller battery than my 7+ together with a larger, more power hungry screen gives me pause.

OLED displays actually use less power than an LCD (as in the previous phones), so the battery size is likely a wash.
Interesting. I’ll still give it time to see the actual results.

I’m pretty darned happy with my 7+. It’s the first phone that I am content keeping longer than a year.

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:57 pm

I don't like that OLED changes colors and hue when looking at an angle and can also suffer from a burn-in

Chocodove

Post by Chocodove » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:59 pm

hoppyjr wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

I’m pretty darned happy with my 7+. It’s the first phone that I am content keeping longer than a year.
If my 6 wasn’t dying I would have just waited as well, it served my purposes just fine. My home button stopped working and it wouldn’t hold a charge anywhere near as long as it used to, so I figured if I needed to upgrade I might as well get the latest.
- Todd

hoppyjr
HJ

Post by hoppyjr » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:09 pm

Chocodove wrote:
hoppyjr wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

If my 6 wasn’t dying I would have just waited as well, it served my purposes just fine. My home button stopped working and it wouldn’t hold a charge anywhere near as long as it used to, so I figured if I needed to upgrade I might as well get the latest.
I began having random freezes after a year, but the Apple store replaced my 7+ a couple weeks ago under AppleCare. If this one goes a year I’ll be ready to change.

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:12 am

hoppyjr wrote:
Chocodove wrote:

I’m a heavy user on the phone and I don’t keep my screen brightness very low either. Once I get the X I’ll use it for a week and post here with real world use of battery life. I am coming from a plus model as well.