Not Secured Web Page

Get your nerd on.
AZpops
Name: Lance

Not Secured Web Page

Post by AZpops » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:40 am

I just noticed in the address bar, that my DWC connection is not secured (as well as CPF, and EDCF websites). Does anyone know how I can change it to secured?

Thanks!
Lance

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Re: Not Secured Web Page

Post by logan2z » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:05 pm

Why do you need a secure connection between your computer and DWC? There's no sensitive information like credit card numbers etc. being sent to the DWC site. You normally only see secure connections for e-commerce sites, banking sites etc. to which sensitive information is being transmitted. The forum doesn't currently have support for https connections and I really can't think of a reason why we'd need to add it.

If you're concerned about the security of your data going over the internet then use a free web VPN service. Or you can use the Opera browser that provides a built-in VPN service.

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:03 pm

logan2z wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:05 pm
Why do you need a secure connection between your computer and DWC? There's no sensitive information like credit card numbers etc. being sent to the DWC site. You normally only see secure connections for e-commerce sites, banking sites etc. to which sensitive information is being transmitted. The forum doesn't currently have support for https connections and I really can't think of a reason why we'd need to add it.

If you're concerned about the security of your data going over the internet then use a free web VPN service. Or you can use the Opera browser that provides a built-in VPN service.
OK, thanks Andrew. Learn something new. However, when I open a page for EDCF, Chrome locks it out, with a button (?) saying back to safety. I tried opening EDCF on Opera, and it does the same thing.

Thanks.
Lance

logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Post by logan2z » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:44 pm

AZpops wrote:
logan2z wrote:

OK, thanks Andrew. Learn something new. However, when I open a page for EDCF, Chrome locks it out, with a button (?) saying back to safety. I tried opening EDCF on Opera, and it does the same thing.

Thanks.
I took a look at the EDCF site. The reason the browsers are complaining is because that forum does use an https connection but their certificate has expired. So the browser cannot verify that the site is the one it's claiming to be and warns you that you may be communicating with an attacker rather than EDCF. You can still choose to go to the site by clicking on the 'Advanced' button displayed by Chrome and following the provided directions.

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:16 pm

logan2z wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:44 pm
AZpops wrote:
logan2z wrote:

Thanks.

I took a look at the EDCF site. The reason the browsers are complaining is because that forum does use an https connection but their certificate has expired. So the browser cannot verify that the site is the one it's claiming to be and warns you that you may be communicating with an attacker rather than EDCF. You can still choose to go to the site by clicking on the 'Advanced' button displayed by Chrome and following the provided directions.

Thanks for checking, Andrew. I really appreciate it!
Lance

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:43 pm

I thought my connection to her was secure.

AZpops

Post by AZpops » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:46 pm

mattcantwin wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:43 pm
I thought my connection to her was secure.

:lol: ... Let's hope she doesn't break it off! While connected that is! .... :lol:
Lance