Any PlayStation experts?

Get your nerd on.
CGSshorty
Admin

Any PlayStation experts?

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:10 am

My son's PS4 has been acting wonky since we moved. I cannot access the store and it is giving me a hard time getting it to connect to the network over Wi-Fi, even though the signal is strong. Using a LAN cable is not an option.
I'm about to throw the thing out the window.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Terpits
Creepy Tudor Guy
Name: Peter

Re: Any PlayStation experts?

Post by Terpits » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:27 am

I'm not an expert, but they go down more than didub does.

:rimshot:

foodle

Post by foodle » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:02 am

Have you changed anything about your internet setup? New service provider? New router? New cable modem? Switch to Fios?

Most likely the issue is that you are using a new router and the ports needed for the PS4 to access the store are being blocked. Other things that can go wonky are other PSN services like chat, party joining, or some games may not connect to multiplayer properly. You can fix this by digging into the guts of your router and forwarding the correct ports to the PS4. Would probably have to set the PS4 to a static IP also, but that's just a small change to the router config setup.

Not being able to connect to the WiFi even with a strong signal strength though would be indicative of a different problem, since that only deals with your local network. Could be an interference issue if you are running a 2.4GHz network, as lots of other stuff (cordless phones, microwaves, etc.) generate noise/interference at those frequencies. Might even be coming from a neighbor's house.

Also, sometimes the signal strength indicator on the PS4 isn't super accurate. How far from the wireless access point is the PS4? What is between it and the access point (i.e., regular wall, cinder block, etc.)? You may need to add in a WiFi repeater/bridge. Have you tried moving the PS4 to a different location see if that helps?

Finally, there is the possibility of a hardware failure in the PS4. I had a PS4 have to go back for repair due to sudden disk eject for no reason. I think it had to do with electrostatic buildup on the case shell causing the capacitive sense eject button to mistakenly activate. Once I got Sony to agree to the repair, it was pretty painless to send back. They send you a box to use to ship to them. Took about a week.
Last edited by foodle on Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:14 am

^^^This. I bet you have some 2.4 ghz issues. We had it for 6 months and comcast couldn't figure it out. So after multiple discounts from them I changed my wifi to 5 ghz. Problem solved. http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/ ... p/44866767
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/ ... p/45234509

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:29 am

foodle wrote:Have you changed anything about your internet setup? New service provider? New router? New cable modem? Switch to Fios?

Most likely the issue is that you are using a new router and the ports needed for the PS4 to access the store are being blocked. Other things that can go wonky are other PSN services like chat, party joining, or some games may not connect to multiplayer properly. You can fix this by digging into the guts of your router and forwarding the correct ports to the PS4. Would probably have to set the PS4 to a static IP also, but that's just a small change to the router config setup.

Not being able to connect to the WiFi even with a strong signal strength though would be indicative of a different problem, since that only deals with your local network. Could be an interference issue if you are running a 2.4GHz network, as lots of other stuff (cordless phones, microwaves, etc.) generate noise/interference at those frequencies. Might even be coming from a neighbor's house.

Also, sometimes the signal strength indicator on the PS4 isn't super accurate. How far from the wireless access point is the PS4? What is between it and the access point (i.e., regular wall, cinder block, etc.)? You may need to add in a WiFi repeater/bridge. Have you tried moving the PS4 to a different location see if that helps?

Finally, there is the possibility of a hardware failure in the PS4. I had a PS4 have to go back for repair due to sudden disk eject for no reason. I think it had to do with electrostatic buildup on the case shell causing the capacitive sense eject button to mistakenly activate. Once I got Sony to agree to the repair, it was pretty painless to send back. They send you a box to use to ship to them. Took about a week.
toxicavenger wrote:^^^This. I bet you have some 2.4 ghz issues. We had it for 6 months and comcast couldn't figure it out. So after multiple discounts from them I changed my wifi to 5 ghz. Problem solved. http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/ ... p/44866767
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/ ... p/45234509
Thanks, guys. I'm clueless about this stuff. The equipment is the same, I just moved the Comcast router and other equipment to a new house. The only change I made was switching to wifi from LAN.
I did try hooking it up in the same room as the router. I got a stronger wifi signal, but it didn't fix the issue. I'll try temporarily hooking it up with a LAN today to see if that changes anything.
David St. Hubbins

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:18 am

That's the right first step, plug it in and eliminate WiFi as the issue.

Blah blah smrt phone

We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:12 pm

If it works plugged in directly to the router then you do have wifi issues. I have some powerline adapters you can have to get it working. Here is some info on them http://www.techradar.com/news/networkin ... now-930691

foodle

Post by foodle » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:18 pm

You could also do a MoCA network through your cable coax. Although some coax networks have splitters that inadvertently filter out the MoCA frequencies.

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:18 am

Any luck using a cabled connection Chris?
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:26 am

I have a WIFI extender in the house and it's located outside my son's room... this helps his connection, or so he claims...

I wish the 2 we have in the house didn't work so I could stream a movie or get work email quicker.... instead of throwing them away like you say, I'd like to smash the ones we have over the kids heads.... massive waste of time.
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:03 am

jeckyll wrote:Any luck using a cabled connection Chris?
I've been too busy to try. Hopefully I'll get to it tonight.
David St. Hubbins

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:51 pm

Problem solved. Apparently the WiFi signal wasn't strong enough for this cinderblock Florida house. I got one of those power line networks like T posted and it did the trick. Thanks for the help.
David St. Hubbins

jeckyll

Re: RE: Re: Any PlayStation experts?

Post by jeckyll » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:30 pm

CGSshorty wrote:Problem solved. Apparently the WiFi signal wasn't strong enough for this cinderblock Florida house. I got one of those power line networks like T posted and it did the trick. Thanks for the help.
Glad to hear that you solved the problem.

Blah blah smrt phone