Mobile forum reader

Get your nerd on.
logan2z
IT Admin
Name: Andrew

Mobile forum reader

Post by logan2z » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:43 pm

There is a lot of dissatisfaction over the way that Tapatalk has evolved, both here and elsewhere. I've been thinking about maybe developing my own mobile forum reader app if I can find the time. I'd love to hear what you dislike about the current iteration of Tapatalk and what you would like to see in a new forum reading app.

I may never get around to actually implementing this but your feedback might inspire me :)

Panerai7
Name: Art

Re: Mobile forum reader

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:46 pm

Would it be DWC specific? Or all around.
I think the problem is Tapacrap is trying to be compatible with all kinds of forums and that's the problem.
Have you thought about making a mobile version of DWC ?

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:58 pm

Panerai7 wrote:Would it be DWC specific? Or all around.
I think the problem is Tapacrap is trying to be compatible with all kinds of forums and that's the problem.
This wouldn't be DWC specific.

Tapatalk only supports forums that have the Tapatalk plugin installed so I don't think the issue is that it's trying to support different forum types.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:23 pm

logan2z wrote:

Tapatalk only supports forums that have the Tapatalk plugin installed so I don't think the issue is that it's trying to support different forum types.
Is it hard to make a mobile version of DWC?

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:

In order to implement all of the basic features (forum listing , read/post/subscribe, PMs, etc) you'd be implementing a complete forum reader that would work for any site with the Tapatalk plugin, including DWC. So the complexity of the app would be the same regardless of whether or not it were DWC specific.

I don't think I see much point in making a DWC-specific app. How would it be any different than a more universal app?

nweash
Name: Nick

Post by nweash » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:37 pm

I really like everything about old tapatalk pro. easy to navigate, see, reply, post, etc. Don't have to see any ads.

Only issue they don't allow photo attachments through DM. they make you use the newer version of tapatalk to do that.

I like the option to auto upload my photos to photo hosting sights directly through the app.
Only hiccup is after 24hours of not uploading a photo I'm forced to resign in through imgur.

Not sure if that's tapatalk or imgurs fault though?

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:40 pm

nweash wrote: Only hiccup is after 24hours of not uploading a photo I'm forced to resign in through imgur.

Not sure if that's tapatalk or imgurs fault though?
I suspect that's imgur.com, which seems to have some major issues with session management. I'm often actively using it in the browser when suddenly it'll tell me I'm not logged in or that I don't have any photos in my library. I just refresh the page without logging back in and it's all good again. That site has become really buggy over the past year or so and they don't seem to care.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:42 pm

logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:

In order to implement all of the basic features (forum listing , read/post/subscribe, PMs, etc) you'd be implementing a complete forum reader that would work for any site with the Tapatalk plugin, including DWC. So the complexity of the app would be the same regardless of whether or not it were DWC specific.

I don't think I see much point in making a DWC-specific app. How would it be any different than a more universal app?
Oh I was just thinking maybe it's cheaper quicker maybe can already be turned on and can still look like DWC
For instance IH8MUD has a desktop and mobile versions that have the same theme but the mobile one is smartphone friendly.
Like on DWC I am totally fine even with a desktop version if you could only increase the font size of the top left hand corner :)

See pic:

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:48 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:
Panerai7 wrote:
logan2z wrote:

Oh I was just thinking maybe it's cheaper quicker maybe can already be turned on and can still look like DWC
For instance IH8MUD has a desktop and mobile versions that have the same theme but the mobile one is smartphone friendly.
Like on DWC I am totally fine even with a desktop version if you could only increase the font size of the top left hand corner :)

See pic:
Right, creating a mobile theme for the browser is much simpler but doesn't really give you the native app experience.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:51 pm

Gotcha, ok well I participated :lol:

Jeep99dad
Grand-père
Name: Brice

Post by Jeep99dad » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:56 pm

I don't have any real issues with Tapatalk.
My wish is that you could upload more than one photo at once.
I'd like to open my photo album and select multiple photos at once and upload for a review or sales post for example.
Maybe a more obvious pop up or widget at the top of the screen when you have PMs waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkblahblahah
Merde Alors! Et Vive Les Francais! :)

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:39 pm

Jeep99dad wrote:I don't have any real issues with Tapatalk.
I'd like to open my photo album and select multiple photos at once and upload for a review or sales post for example.
Maybe a more obvious pop up or widget at the top of the screen when you have PMs waiting.

I'd like both of those features too. The whole notification thing in Tapatalk is currently a mess.

logan2z
IT Admin

Post by logan2z » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:40 pm

Panerai7 wrote:Gotcha, ok well I participated :lol:
And it's appreciated :) And thanks to Tapatalk I had to go into Web view in order to see the photo you posted ;)

amckiwi
Name: Stu

Post by amckiwi » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:31 am

Auto photo resizing so can take iPhone pic and upload

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Post by tattoo chef » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:05 am

Jeep99dad wrote:I don't have any real issues with Tapatalk.

I was just reading something from the tapatalk community and direct from someone at tapatalk this (multiple image uploads) was supposed to be done in October 2014, then delayed to January 2015, then of course it never happened. They keep messing with the UI, but not installing features that we want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk