Anyone into aquariums?

Get your nerd on.
User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 5320
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Calunicornia

Anyone into aquariums?

Post by sierra11b » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:59 pm

Didn't know where else to post this but was curious.

Over the holidays my sis and brother-in-law installed a little 5 gallon tank while we were on a mini vacation for my 3yr old as a Christmas present and I took it upon myself to maintain everything. I've been having a lot of fun running this little tank by the book and want to go bigger. No causalities so I must be doing something right knowing small tanks are harder to maintain because of spikes in fluctuations. It's very relaxing and a nice way to end the evening by the computer.

Curious to know what rigs some of you have before I pick my local fish guru's brain for a custom set-up in the 30-55 gal range. Although it's inevitable, I'm still a bit reluctant to register on an aquarium forum knowing I'll get a lot of potentially condescending cherry responses. I'm a quick learner.

My bro has a 55 gal tank ready for me that I'll pick-up this week but the components are part of a kit and I want to run it more efficiently with beefed-up filtration, etc. Wondering if anyone here might be able to steer me into their idea of a custom kit for 55 gallons.

User avatar
CoachH
Posts: 1243
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:39 pm
Name: Joe
Location: Texas

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by CoachH » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:10 am

I think member flypenfly got into aquariums a few years ago.

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 5320
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Calunicornia

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by sierra11b » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:39 am

Thanks. Found that thread.

For the record I am staying with fresh water for the same reasons I would opt to stay with electric now with RC having dabbled with gas. Less expensive and easier to maintain.

When I was a young teen my mom bought a 100 gallon octagon salt water tank with some lovely fish for me and my older sister to maintain. Being the geek I took the reins while my pothead sister smoked... Was fantastic for about two months then all got lateral line disease and crashed into the sides of the tank upside down until they died. Not a beginner tank to say the least. But hey, I was 15 then.

I don't want to get too heavy with this but would like more real estate for a better scenery and a few more fish to peak my interest as well as my son's.

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 8532
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:42 am

I kept several aquariums when I was a teen. Cichlids and salt water. I agree stick with freshwater to keep cost under control.
The Hapa

User avatar
moishlashen
Posts: 16208
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:28 am
Name: Leu Sanis
Location: Somewheres paddlin' it.

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by moishlashen » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:06 am

Jae-but now he's a picture taking gun nut :shrug:
Image

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

User avatar
blkgsl
Herro!!!
Posts: 3510
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 am
Name: blkgsl

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by blkgsl » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:25 am

I have a saltwater setup with a peacock mantis (yes, terry, I used cock and mantis in the same sentence!) - lovely and fascinating to see it feed. I've been wanting to do an octopus tank in my new house, waiting for the architect to work out design with my fish guy.

User avatar
moishlashen
Posts: 16208
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:28 am
Name: Leu Sanis
Location: Somewheres paddlin' it.

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by moishlashen » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:31 am

blkgsl wrote:I have a saltwater setup with a peacock mantis (yes, terry, I used cock and mantis in the same sentence!) - lovely and fascinating to see it feed. I've been wanting to do an octopus tank in my new house, waiting for the architect to work out design with my fish guy.

For whatever reason I am imagining you breaking up a fistfight between you Architect and Fish guy :lol:
Image

"I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude."

User avatar
andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Posts: 14090
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:04 pm
Name: William Drayton, Jr.
Location: Gone

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by andrema » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:35 am

Cock-Mantis-Puss FTW
Image

User avatar
ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Posts: 4205
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am
Name: Glæn

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by ElChingon7 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:19 am

blkgsl wrote:I have a saltwater setup with a peacock mantis (yes, terry, I used cock and mantis in the same sentence!) - lovely and fascinating to see it feed. I've been wanting to do an octopus tank in my new house, waiting for the architect to work out design with my fish guy.
Life goals: To have a "fish" guy :love:
WTF

User avatar
ElChingon7
Official DWC Boot Whore
Posts: 4205
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am
Name: Glæn

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by ElChingon7 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:24 am

sierra11b wrote:Didn't know where else to post this but was curious.

Over the holidays my sis and brother-in-law installed a little 5 gallon tank while we were on a mini vacation for my 3yr old as a Christmas present and I took it upon myself to maintain everything. I've been having a lot of fun running this little tank by the book and want to go bigger. No causalities so I must be doing something right knowing small tanks are harder to maintain because of spikes in fluctuations. It's very relaxing and a nice way to end the evening by the computer.

Curious to know what rigs some of you have before I pick my local fish guru's brain for a custom set-up in the 30-55 gal range. Although it's inevitable, I'm still a bit reluctant to register on an aquarium forum knowing I'll get a lot of potentially condescending cherry responses. I'm a quick learner.

My bro has a 55 gal tank ready for me that I'll pick-up this week but the components are part of a kit and I want to run it more efficiently with beefed-up filtration, etc. Wondering if anyone here might be able to steer me into their idea of a custom kit for 55 gallons.
Curious as to what you find out. Looking into something similar at some point.

I currently have a small 15-gallon tank that the kids had to have, and don't even look at much now. I figure if I'm changing the water and maintaining that f'er, I might as well get something I want. I envision some type of cabinet set-up with enclosed canister filter. Never got further than that though after seeing the prices.
WTF

User avatar
kfalk
Old Chub
Posts: 11194
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:50 am
Name: Kelly

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by kfalk » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:32 am

Zack has a Lobster Tank as well - like a salt water refrigerator.
Image

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 5320
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Calunicornia

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by sierra11b » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:33 am

blkgsl wrote: with my fish guy.
Zack has a fish guy too. :raised:

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Posts: 10543
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:03 am
Name: Jeff

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by JBZ » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:57 am

sierra11b wrote:
blkgsl wrote: with my fish guy.
Zack has a fish guy too. :raised:
He has two fish guys. One of them is lost in his couch cushions.
Image

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 8532
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:00 am

Image
Peacock mantis is one funky badass motherrfxcker.
Keep in mind that the guys on trawlers don't call them 'thumb splitters' out of love.
The Hapa

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 8532
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by HapaHapa » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:00 am

I miss my aquariums but really don't have the time these days.
The Hapa

User avatar
dukerules
Posts: 14589
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by dukerules » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:34 pm

I can look at them for hours...but they are a pain to maintain, especially salt. We have a 40 gallon tank that we've had for years. It's in my son's room, and I bet he hasn't looked at it in at least two years.

User avatar
CGSshorty
Admin
Posts: 32648
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:02 pm

I like other people's aquariums.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

JBZ
Mr. Tasseled Loafer
Posts: 10543
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:03 am
Name: Jeff

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by JBZ » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:39 pm

CGSshorty wrote:I like other people's aquariums.
This. And all I had was a basic 10 gallon freshwater tank growing up. Maintenance is a PITA.
Image

User avatar
toxicavenger
President Tranny
Posts: 45643
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:25 am
Name: HeadDIK
Location: Colorado Springs

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:44 pm

i dated a girl who smelled like a fish tank

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 5320
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Calunicornia

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by sierra11b » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:30 pm

toxicavenger wrote:i dated a girl who smelled like a fish tank
Smells like fish it's delish... Smells like cologne leave it alone! :lol:

Went to look at tanks today for measurements. 55 gal is massive! :shock: I'm still going to accept the tank from my brother as I may be able to use it down the road.

Might go for the 26gal bow front this time as I have a perfect spot. Sent an email to my local fish guy :grin: asking if he could build a kit for me with upgraded filtration based on the aqueon 26gal bow front.

Their kit is nice but the stock filtration is a bit anemic based on what I read, and I don't need all the starter kit throw-ins. Figure I'll save $50 doing it this way with a beefed-up filter. And this way I can still use my 5gal compressor as the topwater agitation from the beefier filter should suffice for O2.

I don't want to get into the thousands with this and think 55gals will end up costing me a Shogun... I'm okay with an Alpinist budget this time around.

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 8532
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Anyone into aquariums?

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:11 pm

55 gal gives you room for 'landscaping' but you are right about cost.
The Hapa

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 5320
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Calunicornia

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by sierra11b » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:39 am

ElChingon7 wrote:
sierra11b wrote:Didn't know where else to post this but was curious.

Over the holidays my sis and brother-in-law installed a little 5 gallon tank while we were on a mini vacation for my 3yr old as a Christmas present and I took it upon myself to maintain everything. I've been having a lot of fun running this little tank by the book and want to go bigger. No causalities so I must be doing something right knowing small tanks are harder to maintain because of spikes in fluctuations. It's very relaxing and a nice way to end the evening by the computer.

Curious to know what rigs some of you have before I pick my local fish guru's brain for a custom set-up in the 30-55 gal range. Although it's inevitable, I'm still a bit reluctant to register on an aquarium forum knowing I'll get a lot of potentially condescending cherry responses. I'm a quick learner.

My bro has a 55 gal tank ready for me that I'll pick-up this week but the components are part of a kit and I want to run it more efficiently with beefed-up filtration, etc. Wondering if anyone here might be able to steer me into their idea of a custom kit for 55 gallons.
Curious as to what you find out. Looking into something similar at some point.

I currently have a small 15-gallon tank that the kids had to have, and don't even look at much now. I figure if I'm changing the water and maintaining that f'er, I might as well get something I want. I envision some type of cabinet set-up with enclosed canister filter. Never got further than that though after seeing the prices.
Decided against the gift tank. It hasn't been set up in years and has been sitting in a California summer garage since being decommissioned. Don't want to run into any leaks. And since then I upgraded my 10gal filter to a Aquaclear 30 and it's been awesome! Turning over that little thing 15 times an hour with hardly any water disruption. Part of why I did it was because the filters were on sale for $20 and I've read great things... Plus I don't mind the idea of HOB filters as they provide very easy maintenance and Aquaclear products are everywhere. Everything I read was true and the learning curve is non existent. Totally silent and the filter medium is totally customizable which is great. Run bio medium, carbon, and sponge, or whatever sequence you wish, with or without carbon! You could even change 2 while it's running (never all 3).

Say I got a 46 gallon... I could use my 30 with sponge, carbon, bio medium and run an additional 110 with sponge, sponge, biomedium -or- biomedium, biomedium, sponge. Why? Because technically speaking the 30 carbon pack would rid of any smells in that amount of volume, which is what carbon does mainly, and I could run the 110 on the pretense of beneficial bacteria. So yeah, pretty cool system with the aquaclears. Plus only carbon needs changing once a month if you choose to run it (some don't it seems). Otherwise, just rinse sponge and biomedium in aquarium water (to maintain bacteria) and change (only one of the two -- never both) every 4-6 months.

Think I'm going to go 46 or 72 gallon bowfront from Aqueon. Aqueon isn't the highest-end tank manufacturer in the business but one of the better economy brands people really seem to like and state being well built.

I'll choose 72 gallons if I intend to ask forgiveness instead of permission from the boss. 46gal water changes would be easier but less fish and overall less species options. Then again the tank is 15 ft away from the front door so i could siphon directly into my plants and grass. Whatever I choose I'll piggyback my Aquaclear with larger Aquaclear(s) 110/30 for 46 gal or two 110s for 72. If I go 72 I'll think about keeping the 10 gal running for something else with the 30filter.

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 5320
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Calunicornia

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by sierra11b » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:45 am

double post

User avatar
sierra11b
Posts: 5320
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:37 am
Name: Eric
Location: Calunicornia

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by sierra11b » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:36 am

50 gallon South American tank with 15 rummy nose tetra temporarily residing in the old 10 gallon under watchful quarantine.

Too much to cover but here's the results of someone schooling themselves at the amateur level in short order. An easy hobby to get into coming from watches when some hobbyist aquarists cringe at a $10 purchase. Not to sound smug but a comparatively easy pill to swallow in the hobby overhead department.

Female Bolivian Ram is the center piece tank boss. Contrary to popular belief from all you might read online, and after consulting a forum fish biologist specializing in South American Cichlids, you can keep a sole sex specimen as they're too stupid to have sexual frustrations thanks to short-term memory. She's been a puppy-dog showing colors for me after a long day and an absolute joy to come home to every night. Eventually I can train her to eat out of my hand.

My 3yr old son named her "Ack Ackibinyaooo!" and manages to correct me on her pronunciation even though I nail it every time. :rolleyes: :lol: All the other fish are named after Star Wars characters by him. That's what it's all about! :cheers:

Final stock plan is:

1ea Female Bolivian Ram
6ea Albino Cory Cats (4 currently -- if a Ram pairs with the opposite sex which is notoriously hard to vet in the sex dept, then they all die in viscous attacks during their spawn, hence the single)
1ea Bristle-nose Plecostomus (in hiding -- might trade-in for a truly exotic unnamed species for a bill)
5ea Glo-Tetra (technically SA hybrids but all from the 10 gallon)
15ea Rummy Nose Tetra "dither fish" (not in the display tank yet -- quarantine tank for now)

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
HapaHapa
Posts: 8532
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 9:57 pm
Name: Eric
Location: Redondo Beach, CA

Re: Anyone into aquariums?

Post by HapaHapa » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:40 am

Wow that looks really nice. Black gravel, big white rocks, driftwood and lots of green plants really pops.
The Hapa

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests