Chrome OS

Get your nerd on.
R@cerx
Name: David

Chrome OS

Post by R@cerx » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:00 pm

Anyone using a Chromebook as their daily? If so, what's your take on it?

tattoo chef
<Will Skull for Food>
Name: Don

Re: Chrome OS

Post by tattoo chef » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:05 pm

I did for over a year. If you like Google, and want to surf web, stream video etc it is great. Limited otherwise but you did get all of Google ad ons like Google docs and such.
They are also lightning fast because it's not loaded down with software.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:24 pm

badass if you don't need windows products, and viruses aren't common at all

R@cerx

Post by R@cerx » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:36 pm

toxicavenger wrote:badass if you don't need windows products, and viruses aren't common at all
We're a Windows only shop at work, but for personal I've been using Chrome as my browser for what seems like forever. Recently began using Google Docs to see if I could leave the Microsoft world. I could never do without a Windows box, but for 97% of what I do personally, I think I'm sold a Chromebook could do the job much better.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:44 pm

R@cerx wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:badass if you don't need windows products, and viruses aren't common at all
We're a Windows only shop at work, but for personal I've been using Chrome as my browser for what seems like forever. Recently began using Google Docs to see if I could leave the Microsoft world. I could never do without a Windows box, but for 97% of what I do personally, I think I'm sold a Chromebook could do the job much better.
right and you can use a virtual windows machine on your chrome book if you had too

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Post by Sidheguitarist » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:32 pm

I have Don's old chromebook; it works fine. I find I don't use it much, what with all the ipads we've got around the house, but it seems to do the job.

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:05 pm

I got tired of having computers that lack responsive performance because of the bloated Microsoft operating system and conflicts with security software. I've had an older Chromebook laptop for several years and recently added a 4GB Asus Chromebook Flip, which features a hi-def touchscreen and aluminum case for a very modest price. When my desktop PC pissed me off enough, I replaced it with a 4GB Chromebox. It's just easier, more intuitive, and more secure than MS.
No, it's not Tourettes.

braeburn
Name: Jeff

Post by braeburn » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:55 am

I use Chrome Pixel 2.....yes its the most expensive Chromebook.

However, it has the fastest processor and the largest amount of RAM you can get.

I run it dual boot with Linux. I'm in and out of both OS'es with a quick hotkey. Yes, hotkey. There is no re-boot to go back and forth. I run CAD in Linux via draftsight. I can run Linux in one window and chrome os in another. I often run Linux on my 30" display and chrome on the laptop.

I'm fine with Google Docs doing all my spreadsheet (and most are really large) as well as word doc functions. I can do the same in Linux.

If you don't need windows for any special purpose built software. You can live and work in Chrome OS all day.

I've only found one piece of software I cannot run....Google Sketchup.
Beaver? It's a damn badger - it even says so on the poster....
Gordo.

R@cerx

Post by R@cerx » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:03 am

braeburn wrote:I use Chrome Pixel 2.....yes its the most expensive Chromebook.

However, it has the fastest processor and the largest amount of RAM you can get.

I run it dual boot with Linux. I'm in and out of both OS'es with a quick hotkey. Yes, hotkey. There is no re-boot to go back and forth. I run CAD in Linux via draftsight. I can run Linux in one window and chrome os in another. I often run Linux on my 30" display and chrome on the laptop.

I'm fine with Google Docs doing all my spreadsheet (and most are really large) as well as word doc functions. I can do the same in Linux.

If you don't need windows for any special purpose built software. You can live and work in Chrome OS all day.

Chrome Pixel 2 is the exact machine that has my interest since I'm a sucker for well built hardware. Pricy for sure, and the i5 version is out of stock right now. I can surely live in Chrome OS and Google Docs.

How do you like the 3 by 2 screen?

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:01 am

BTW, here's a review of the Chromebook Flip.

http://www.zdnet.com/product/asus-chromebook-flip/

Here it is on Amazon. I opted to spend a few more dollars for the 4GB version.

http://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-10-1-I ... ebook+flip
No, it's not Tourettes.

braeburn

Post by braeburn » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:39 pm

R@cerx wrote:

Chrome Pixel 2 is the exact machine that has my interest since I'm a sucker for well built hardware. Pricy for sure, and the i5 version is out of stock right now. I can surely live in Chrome OS and Google Docs.

You will not find a better built laptop. Keyboard is perfect and the track pad is as well. I've had macbooks including pro. Hardware wise it's top.

The 3:2 is fine on the display and works well. Unless it's a big spreadsheet and you need to see a lot of columns, then its a PITA. If on the 30", some display settings adjusted and you can get what you want.

The only serious drawback is printing. You will have to go Google cloud print. I'm building a couple of rasp-pi cloud print servers for things.

We use Google docs hosted between partners to estimate projects and collaborate on things....even when we are in the same office and two doors apart.

I run the i7 with 16gb ram and its effortless with as many as 15-20 tabs open and Linux being one of those.

Don't forget you get 1TB cloud storage.

I hotspot my N6 google-fi phone for auto saving every doc being worked on and don't have an issue. You also do a lot offline.
Gordo.

R@cerx

Post by R@cerx » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:05 pm

braeburn wrote:
R@cerx wrote:

You will not find a better built laptop. Keyboard is perfect and the track pad is as well. I've had macbooks including pro. Hardware wise it's top.

The 3:2 is fine on the display and works well. Unless it's a big spreadsheet and you need to see a lot of columns, then its a PITA. If on the 30", some display settings adjusted and you can get what you want.

The only serious drawback is printing. You will have to go Google cloud print. I'm building a couple of rasp-pi cloud print servers for things.

We use Google docs hosted between partners to estimate projects and collaborate on things....even when we are in the same office and two doors apart.

I run the i7 with 16gb ram and its effortless with as many as 15-20 tabs open and Linux being one of those.

Don't forget you get 1TB cloud storage.

I hotspot my N6 google-fi phone for auto saving every doc being worked on and don't have an issue. You also do a lot offline.
Thanks for the info. I know about the printing issue, but have a work around, and sooner or later Google will resolve that too. Now the i5 version needs to become available again...

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:28 pm

Good info on this thread.

Been a Chrome browser user and Google docs user since they came out. Still a Windows shop at home and work, but use Google Docs instead of Office on my personal laptop.
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

braeburn

Post by braeburn » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:04 pm

I started thinking last night about my comments on the google cloud print server issue.

A couple of things.....I don't believe that there is anything google needs to overcome to provide printing via Chrome OS. They could do it by providing a CUPS print process. I think they just choose not to....think of all the stupid printer drivers out there that would need to be added to Chrome to make this happen.

Going the google cloud print option is probably the best longterm and the easiest as the "everything connected world" is either at hand or will be. I print from my phone to an HP wirelessly with an HP app and it goes cloud I/O as well.

Finally, I realized that with a dual boot laptop running Ubuntu that I probably could make an easy localhost print option via CUPS. I found a nice link via dnschneid/crouton. Couple of terminal hacks and its done.

The cool thing about crouton on Chrome OS is that the base file system is the same. So the local save folder is usable from either OS. Hotkey into linux and print, key switch back out to chrome if needed.

FWIW....
Gordo.

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:02 pm

I don't do a lot of printing and don't own a printer, but if the occasion arises that I need something printed, I usually rely on the wireless printer at my favorite cigar shop. After downloading the Epson app, I can easily print Google Drive documents from my Android phone.
No, it's not Tourettes.