How to connect / solder a solid wire and stranded wire?

Get your nerd on.
Mr_Pacman
Name: James

How to connect / solder a solid wire and stranded wire?

Post by Mr_Pacman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:42 pm

I'm trying to hardwire a dashcam into my car.

I need to connect a wire which is solid core, to a stranded wire.

I'm essentially following these instructions. I emailed the original poster but haven't heard back from him in a long time:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99- ... stall.html

Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to do this? I'm thinking I could wrape the stranded wire around the solid core wire, then heat shrink tube it? I don't have a lot of experience with soldering anything, but I'm skeptical that a small stranded wire will attached to the solid core wire.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
James

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.
Name: Michael

Re: How to connect / solder a solid wire and stranded wire?

Post by Sidheguitarist » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:55 pm

I'd do just what the guy says:
Solder it
Heat shrink some tubing over the solder connection
A little tape on each end of the heat shrink.

The deal on solder is to make sure you've got the right wires for your connection, then hold the stranded wire onto the solid wire briefly with the tip of a high quality iron until the two wires are collectively hot enough to melt solder, then just lightly touch the join spot with the end of the solder coil to release a small dab, and voila.

I'd practice this a few times in the kitchen with exemplar samples of the two wire types involved to get a feel for the pressure and timing required before going out to the cold garage to goof with the OEM connection in the subie. You can figure this out in one sitting, but If you've not soldered much before, id do a few trial passes first; it's pretty easy to melt stuff you don't want to melt the very first time. A roll of solder removal mesh is good to have on hand too.

On edit: be sure to slip the appropriately trimmed length of heat tube over the thickest wire and slide it up and out of the way BEFORE soldering the two wires together, for obvious reasons.

I used to do a lot of soldering when I was alpha and beta testing guitar pickups, and F me if I didn't forget to do that more often than not; I swear, I never learn sometimes. I've un-soldered a lot of pretty joins over the years due to either: beer, or just being a space cadet.
:shrug:
Last edited by Sidheguitarist on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Pacman

Post by Mr_Pacman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would be best to "wrap" the stranded wire around the solid wire and then solder it? Or, just have the solid and stranded wire touching, and then solder?

Thanks
James

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.

Post by Sidheguitarist » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:09 pm

I wouldn't wrap it. Anything on the opposite side of the solder dab won't be securely connected. If I'm understanding thing correctly, I'd twist the stranded wire into a facsimile of solid, then flatten it, press it to the top of the solid wire, and hit that bitch with the iron and a dab of solder. That's why heat the wires, not the solder; the solder will conform to, and "paint" the entire join where the wire is heated, then instantly cool to a seamless connection if done right. I'm not electronically schooled enough to be describing this as well as maybe I should...

Imagine taking a hot bratwurst and quickly and gently touching a stick of butter to it to melt/paint a thin coating the end. Sort of like that. Maybe...

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:11 pm

Mr_Pacman wrote:Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would be best to "wrap" the stranded wire around the solid wire and then solder it? Or, just have the solid and stranded wire touching, and then solder?

Thanks
James
I've twisted the wires together first, then soldered it. Then either shrink or use electrical tape to insulate. YMMV.

Edit: Michael's way is probably better. :)
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.

Post by Sidheguitarist » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:39 pm

^^^Not necessarily, that makes some sense too. The inside of acoustic guitars are probably more delicate wire than hard wiring a dash cam or radar detector. Twisting, melting some solder and then stabilizing the whole deal with heat shrink and tape is probably just as good. So long as electrons can flow like Syrians across an EU border (too soon?), it'll work fine.

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:44 pm

Michael: I think if the wires are significantly different gauge, then your way makes the most sense (I'm assuming the stranded is much thinner than the solid).

If they're the same, might work either way. I did a lot more with wiring blocks than soldering when we were wiring control systems.

Like this:

Never did much wiring in vehicles where stuff can shift and vibrate.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

Mr_Pacman

Post by Mr_Pacman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Once it's wired up, it shouldn't be moving too much except for vibrations when driving.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Worst case is I fry the dashcam.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:00 pm

After soldering you might coat the connection with Liquid Tape to mitigate loosening from vibration.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions ... iquid_Tape
only accurate watches are interesting

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:30 pm

use a wire on twist your stranded wire really tight and tin it. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... h%20solder

then lay it down next to the other wire and twist them togethor. then apply solder to both of them. http://www.instructables.com/id/Master- ... /?ALLSTEPS

there are a ton of different ways but do cover your connection with liquid tape or shrinking tubing. you can use butt connectors also but you need some correct crimpers for those.

but if you want to see different ways then look up Union Splicing, I use to do this a while back for longevity.

hobbit712
Name: Steve

Post by hobbit712 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:15 pm

https://watchidiotsavants3.godaddysites.com/
instagram @watchidiotsavants

Chase after the dream, don't chase after the money

Sidheguitarist
Man of many calibers.

Post by Sidheguitarist » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:36 pm

toxicavenger wrote:use a wire on twist your stranded wire really tight and tin it. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... h%20solder
Absolutely. I forgot that step (like I say, beer; space cadet). Tin the stranded wire like Terry says.