How big of a generator do I need....

Get your nerd on.
rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

How big of a generator do I need....

Post by rockmastermike » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:16 am

Thinking of buying an inverter generator for the winter just in case....really just to keep the fridge/freezer up and running - what kind of output do I need? 2000, 4000, 6000, 10,000 ???

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Re: How big of a generator do I need....

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:32 am

It really depends on how many items, appliances, etc that you want to run.

There are formulas on the web which show how to calculate based on your usage goal.

Consider a generator switch at your fuse box too. It allows you to select what will be powered and will make for a one-cord connection.

I believe my generator is 5500 or 7500.

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso

Post by rockmastermike » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:35 am

Thanks - I'll look for the formula

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:36 am

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:36 am

If it is just the 'fridge and freezer, I don't think you need to go too big. I'll check mine when I get home this evening for a reference.

One thing I would think about buying is a fuse panel adapter which will allow you to plug your generator directly into the panel. These panels also disconnect your home from the street power, so you don't zap any line workers.

The other positive is these panels allow you to run your boiler, hot water, etc (assuming the properly sized generator). Just one plug from the gen to the panel - that's it.

Final advice is to make certain you have a good ventilated place to run it. Someplace out of the weather, but not in or near your living space. You don't want to breathing (or dying from) those fumes.
Last edited by Ryeguy on Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:37 am

Find the one that is big enough, and buy the one above it.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 am

I have a 8750...this will help you determine what you need

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso

Post by rockmastermike » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:14 pm

CGSshorty wrote:Find the one that is big enough, and buy the one above it.
I like the way you think

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso

Post by rockmastermike » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:14 pm

Thanks for the link, chart and info, guys. I really appreciate it

Danny_T
The T is for Tacky
Name: Danny

Post by Danny_T » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:38 pm

Go all out. I got a 22kW Generac whole home generator and plumbed to NG so no worries about fuel supply.

But for basic necessities get one that will run your key items in the home (furnace and appliances). usually a 7kW would be sufficient

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Der Brummbär

Post by hazmatman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:44 pm

Here is another one, but the pre-filled appliances are just guesstimates: https://www.sussexrec.com/pdfs/Generato ... eet1.2.pdf

Since genies are rated in watts, the basic thing to know is watts = volts x amps. Most of your appliances are 110 volts so you need to know how many amps they draw. Also on the page Terry put up there is a good graph showing the startup surge amperage. As Chris mentioned, you need to consider surge demands. Your refrigerator compressor is not running all the time but when it does fire up it will initially need more amps than it does at steady state.

Of course you need to put that genie somewhere that the exhaust is not going to sneak back into your house, and where it will sit depends on how you intend to hook it up. You simply gonna run an extension cord to one or two appliances through a window? Or are you gonna go whole hog with an auxiliary box and cut-over switch?

I went inbetween. I bought a subpanel/transfer switch and a 50amp outlet to hang outside; but, I have yet to install any of it. I bought a length of Romax, put 220 males on either end (std household on one end, twist lock on the other - the genie end) and essentially made a 220 extension cord. If power goes out, I shut down the main breaker. then turn off all the circuits I don't want to power. I unplug my 220 dryer, and backfeed my box from there. I just have to watch other homes for when the power comes back, then shut down my genie & unplug it, then flip my mains back on and re-enable my other circuits.

I have a 5500-6500W gas genie (can't remember exactly sitting here), and during the June 2012 Derecho I ran:
:grin: An entirely electric kitchen - lights, Frig/freezer, range, insta-hot (did not run oven or DW)
:grin: The family room circuit - lights, TV, cable box, DVR, DVD player, laptop, two fans (it was summer time)
:grin: My office - cable modem, Wi-Fi router, printer, computer
:grin: Basement - lights, well pump & treatment system (on well water), sump pump, reverse osmosis system
I pretty much had all the creature comforts of home except air conditioning. During the winter, I have portable oil-filled electric radiators to heat individual rooms plus a fireplace and lots and lots of blankets.

I wanted to go with a NG genie and an auto transfer switch, the whole nine yards but my wife thought I was crazy, there is no NG run into our neightborhood, so that meant propane tanks. And once I added up all the costs...I threw together the system I have, and I have been using it since Hurricane Floyd in 1999. :think: Yeah, I should have hooked up that transfer box by now.

Danny_T
The T is for Tacky

Post by Danny_T » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:12 pm

hazmatman wrote:Here is another one, but the pre-filled appliances are just guesstimates: https://www.sussexrec.com/pdfs/Generato ... eet1.2.pdf

Since genies are rated in watts, the basic thing to know is watts = volts x amps. Most of your appliances are 110 volts so you need to know how many amps they draw. Also on the page Terry put up there is a good graph showing the startup surge amperage. As Chris mentioned, you need to consider surge demands. Your refrigerator compressor is not running all the time but when it does fire up it will initially need more amps than it does at steady state.

Of course you need to put that genie somewhere that the exhaust is not going to sneak back into your house, and where it will sit depends on how you intend to hook it up. You simply gonna run an extension cord to one or two appliances through a window? Or are you gonna go whole hog with an auxiliary box and cut-over switch?

I went inbetween. I bought a subpanel/transfer switch and a 50amp outlet to hang outside; but, I have yet to install any of it. I bought a length of Romax, put 220 males on either end (std household on one end, twist lock on the other - the genie end) and essentially made a 220 extension cord. If power goes out, I shut down the main breaker. then turn off all the circuits I don't want to power. I unplug my 220 dryer, and backfeed my box from there. I just have to watch other homes for when the power comes back, then shut down my genie & unplug it, then flip my mains back on and re-enable my other circuits.

I have a 5500-6500W gas genie (can't remember exactly sitting here), and during the June 2012 Derecho I ran:
:grin: An entirely electric kitchen - lights, Frig/freezer, range, insta-hot (did not run oven or DW)
:grin: The family room circuit - lights, TV, cable box, DVR, DVD player, laptop, two fans (it was summer time)
:grin: My office - cable modem, Wi-Fi router, printer, computer
:grin: Basement - lights, well pump & treatment system (on well water), sump pump, reverse osmosis system
I pretty much had all the creature comforts of home except air conditioning. During the winter, I have portable oil-filled electric radiators to heat individual rooms plus a fireplace and lots and lots of blankets.

I wanted to go with a NG genie and an auto transfer switch, the whole nine yards but my wife thought I was crazy, there is no NG run into our neightborhood, so that meant propane tanks. And once I added up all the costs...I threw together the system I have, and I have been using it since Hurricane Floyd in 1999. :think: Yeah, I should have hooked up that transfer box by now.
The transfer box is golden. Mine is all self runing and automatic it's awesome. Power goes out and in 10 seconds I dont have to do anything at all. I've scheduled a full maintenance for this monday and adding a cold weather kit to it to make sure it starts trouble free in our cold winters. Yes it was expensive, but with 2 young kids and experienceing that ic storm 2 years ago I said never will I tempt fate. I want to be sure that in -50*c my home has power!

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:26 pm

Now that we have a young one in the house I think the wife will be much more understanding about the price tag of a fully automatic system. I just hate thinking about where I will put the tanks, but there are other events that may mean we will be looking at completely new real estate, in a whole 'nuther state, within the next year; but, we're definitely going to see at least one more winter in this place.

dnslater
Name: Nick

Post by dnslater » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:44 pm

As the guys here have said, there are two approaches: The lightweight/streamlined approach and the full on automatic system wired into your house. The auto system will be expensive but nice if you have frequent outings. I live in the city and usually won't have long outings, but did have power out for 3 days during an extreme cold snap a few years ago. I borrowed a 3500 watt generator, set it in the back yard and ran cords into the house to power my deep freeze, refrigerator and furnace blower (gas furnace). Had a little power left over for the TV/router and a few lights. This was a minimal approach but was workable and generators this size run $400-$500. With this setup you will also need to keep plenty of gas on hand. A diesel or natural gas/propane setup would be nice but very pricey.

For gas, you can also get something called an Inverter generator. They cost more than the regular gas gensets, but are much quieter and more efficient - and still cheaper than the diesel/propane/nat gas setups.

andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Post by andrema » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:55 pm

hazmatman wrote:Now that we have a young one in the house I think the wife will be much more understanding about the price tag of a fully automatic system. I just hate thinking about where I will put the tanks, but there are other events that may mean we will be looking at completely new real estate, in a whole 'nut her state, within the next year; but, we're definitely going to see at least one more winter in this place.
bury the tanks.

hazmatman
DWC Tribal Council

Post by hazmatman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:23 pm

andrema wrote:
hazmatman wrote:Now that we have a young one in the house I think the wife will be much more understanding about the price tag of a fully automatic system. I just hate thinking about where I will put the tanks, but there are other events that may mean we will be looking at completely new real estate, in a whole 'nut her state, within the next year; but, we're definitely going to see at least one more winter in this place.
bury the tanks.
Where do I put the bodies?

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:20 am

Been thinking of getting one of these.
http://www.generac.com/for-homeowners/home-backup-power
It turns on automatically as soon as you loose power they even come over to figure out what you need and you can choose what you want powered up to save money. And if you use a propane tank it can be hooked up to it so you will never run out of fuel when it's on I got a 1000 gal tank it would last a while. The furnace the well pump and kitchen and living room with electricity would be my priority's but I mite pay extra and keep the whole house with electricity. I will let you know what price quote me after I call them.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:49 am

I have a Generac that runs off of a separate propane gas tank. It has a separate circuit board that ties into the main house circuit board.
Power goes off, the back up generator automatically clicks on and then automatically clicks off when the power comes on...

I agree, think about the one you want and then go a size bigger...

The biggest hassle was getting the two town inspectors ( Electrical and Plumbing) to approve... :banghead:

Good luck..

Mike

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:51 am

CGSshorty wrote:Find the one that is big enough, and buy the one above it.
That's good advice.
only accurate watches are interesting

Danny_T
The T is for Tacky

Post by Danny_T » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:54 am

River Rat wrote:Been thinking of getting one of these.
It turns on automatically as soon as you loose power they even come over to figure out what you need and you can choose what you want powered up to save money. And if you use a propane tank it can be hooked up to it so you will never run out of fuel when it's on I got a 1000 gal tank it would last a while. The furnace the well pump and kitchen and living room with electricity would be my priority's but I mite pay extra and keep the whole house with electricity. I will let you know what price quote me after I call them.
That's what I have. Mine is plumbed to my NG line. 360k btu 22kw.

Here's some pics

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:58 am

What is that swinging panel on the wall?
only accurate watches are interesting

mattcantwin
mattcreatestonsofwatchrelateddrama

Post by mattcantwin » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:01 am

marchone wrote:What is that swinging panel on the wall?

Watch box.

jimyritz
Masshole
Name: Mike

Post by jimyritz » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:18 am

Danny_T wrote:

Here's some pics

------------

I have a similar set up with Propane.. :thumbsup:

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:40 am

jimyritz wrote:
Danny_T wrote:

Here's some pics

------------

I have a similar set up with Propane.. :thumbsup:
How has it worked out for you and have you had a power outage since it was installed. And what was the cost ? One thing when it's below zero I want heat and my well pump working plus the kitchen with power and the hot water any else I can live with out but mite go all out and have power to the whole house. Notice they have boxes to power up a few things off one generator to cut cost like just the furnace well pump and what else you can't live with out in a black out .

Danny_T
The T is for Tacky

Post by Danny_T » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:02 pm

marchone wrote:What is that swinging panel on the wall?
Transfer switch. That's the item that makes it all automatic/hands free.