Wi-Fi Extender or Booster - Penis pump for the internets?

Get your nerd on.
andrema
Bean Counter Extraordinaire
Name: William Drayton, Jr.

Wi-Fi Extender or Booster - Penis pump for the internets?

Post by andrema » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:51 pm

I am having issues with Wi-Fi connectivity in my house. We recently changed service providers and some parts of my home has no service... :scream: :scream: :scream:

So...you tech nerds are the first guys that I thought of! :geek: :ugeek: :mrgreen:

What are your recommendations regarding a Wi-Fi Extender or Booster? I just had a service tech come and tell me that he couldn't do anything for me, but I could get an extender (he recommended a NETGEAR EX6100).

james80
Name: James

Re: Wi-Fi Extender or Booster - Penis pump for the internets

Post by james80 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Did your service provider also supply your router or all in one modem router?

Did you change routers when you changed providers?

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Boosters don't work well. Better to get another access point wired to another point in the house.
:htfu:

Joeprez
Wants to see pics of your wife
Name: Joe

Post by Joeprez » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:34 pm

Recently I change service provider too and got a modem/router combo from them. They usually suck, so my first recommendation, if you got one of those combos, would be to disable the wifi (put it in bridge mode) and get a dedicated router (just bought an ASUS RT-AC66U). The signal is way better, but I'm still not getting a very strong signal in the master bedroom. I'm playing with router location but may need to get another router.

I've tried extenders/boosters in the past and they usually suck.

If you can put a wired access point, as M@ mentioned, you're golden. When we lived in the big house, I had the router on the second floor and a wired access point on the first, and the coverage was excellent. Unfortunately, I can't do that on the apt (at least not without drilling on walls).

Omega / Tudor / Rolex / Sinn / Doxa / Seiko

andrema

Post by andrema » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:36 pm

james80 wrote:Did your service provider also supply your router or all in one modem router?

They put in a new router. It's an all in one modem, router.

james80
Name: James

Post by james80 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:59 pm

andrema wrote:
james80 wrote:Did your service provider also supply your router or all in one modem router?

If you have the router you were using before then I second the advice above. Disable the wifi on the new one and use re router you had before. Coverage should be exactly the se as before.

andrema

Post by andrema » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:05 pm

james80 wrote:
andrema wrote:

If you have the router you were using before then I second the advice above. Disable the wifi on the new one and use re router you had before. Coverage should be exactly the se as before.
Totally different equipment, its their strongest wi-fi unit too... :banghead: :bs:

The "crappy" part is that the internets doesn't work in two of my "offices". How am I supposed to come up with forum gold without coverage at my "desks" :grin:

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:38 pm

If you use a wireless access point it will help. What you need to find out is if it is a dual band router or not. I know we have some issues around here with too many 2.4ghz signals around so we use our 5ghz only. Send me your model number on your older router and new router and I will get back you tonight on some ideas. If anything it might just be a management issue.

In the long run imo powerlines are the best bet. http://www.techradar.com/us/news/networ ... now-930691

andrema

Post by andrema » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:45 pm

toxicavenger wrote:If you use a wireless access point it will help. What you need to find out is if it is a dual band router or not. I know we have some issues around here with too many 2.4ghz signals around so we use our 5ghz only. Send me your model number on your older router and new router and I will get back you tonight on some ideas. If anything it might just be a management issue.

In the long run imo powerlines are the best bet. http://www.techradar.com/us/news/networ ... now-930691
Her is what I have. It's in my office downstairs:

andrema

Post by andrema » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:46 pm

Here is what it looks like (on the left)...Image

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:08 pm

what was your previous piece of equipment? this is a single band router

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:14 pm

Joeprez wrote:Recently I change service provider too and got a modem/router combo from them. They usually suck, so my first recommendation, if you got one of those combos, would be to disable the wifi (put it in bridge mode) and get a dedicated router (just bought an ASUS RT-AC66U). The signal is way better, but I'm still not getting a very strong signal in the master bedroom. I'm playing with router location but may need to get another router.

I've tried extenders/boosters in the past and they usually suck.

If you can put a wired access point, as M@ mentioned, you're golden. When we lived in the big house, I had the router on the second floor and a wired access point on the first, and the coverage was excellent. Unfortunately, I can't do that on the apt (at least not without drilling on walls).
boosters/extenders actually cut down your bandwith. put in a powerline adapter and then hook it into an access point and you will be good to go.

andrema

Post by andrema » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:33 pm

toxicavenger wrote:what was your previous piece of equipment? this is a single band router
not sure, the new equipment is Cox issued. I never had issues with the AT&T equipment that I had previously

ikkoku
Stink Eye Extraordinaire

Post by ikkoku » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:32 pm

I use power line adapters attached to another access point

andrema

Post by andrema » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:47 pm

So, new router is the answer?

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:04 pm

andrema wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:what was your previous piece of equipment? this is a single band router
not sure, the new equipment is Cox issued. I never had issues with the AT&T equipment that I had previously
it is the router than, they gave you single band router that might be having issues with other 2.4ghz signals. cox is the same as comcast and they will let you use a asus 66. it is one of the best routers out there for the price, I use the asus 65 and it works great.

so basically if it worked before with different equipment and that is all they changed then that is your problem.

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:28 pm

Seppia wrote:
Joeprez wrote: get a dedicated router (just bought an ASUS RT-AC66U). The signal is way better, but I'm still not getting a very strong signal in the master bedroom. I'm playing with router location but may need to get another router.
That's as good as it gets.
I have it at home and would recommend it to everybody
I have this model:

Have you tried it on the second frequency?

Most routers run on 2.4 only so the signal is crowded, while on 5 it's a lot more stable, like Terry mentioned

Keeping rental equipment from the cable provider is usually a bad idea, the quality is low to super low and the rent rates are obscenely high.
My uber router and modem (a Motorola docsis 3.0) repaid themselves in 10 months, leaving me with far superior equipment and performance.
Close to what I have. ASUS kicks ass.
The Hapa

HapaHapa
Name: Eric

Post by HapaHapa » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:29 pm

Joe you bought same as mine. Good choice in my opinion. At some point you just run out of range.
The Hapa

Chronos
Name: Jim

Post by Chronos » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:17 am

I don't know if this helps...

I have a MoCA network running at home. MoCA essentially creates an Ethernet carrier (175+Mbps) across every connected cable outlet in your home. My cable modem/WiFi router is connected to the MoCA network, as are my SmartTVs, XBOX One, XBOX 360, and even a few PCs.

I picked up an Actiontec WCB3000N MoCA to WiFi bridge. It also has Ethernet ports on it. Since it uses the MoCA network as its backbone back to the WiFi router/cable modem, there is no degradation of the signal. I use the same SSID so transitioning from the WiFi router to the MoCA WiFi Extender is seamless. I placed it in my upstairs office so we now have a very strong WiFi signal in the upstairs.

I no longer have any WiFi dead zones in my home. Highly recommended.

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:37 am

My house is almost 4000 square feet - and the router is in an upstairs bedroom in one corner of the house. I put in two cheap boosters downstairs and they work great for me. YMMV ;)
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:40 am

deepcdvr wrote:My house is almost 4000 square feet - and the router is in an upstairs bedroom in one corner of the house. I put in two cheap boosters downstairs and they work great for me. YMMV ;)
You're never around to use your internet!

matt.wu
Wu

Post by matt.wu » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:41 am

Chronos wrote:I don't know if this helps...

I have a MoCA network running at home. MoCA essentially creates an Ethernet carrier (175+Mbps) across every connected cable outlet in your home. My cable modem/WiFi router is connected to the MoCA network, as are my SmartTVs, XBOX One, XBOX 360, and even a few PCs.

I picked up an Actiontec WCB3000N MoCA to WiFi bridge. It also has Ethernet ports on it. Since it uses the MoCA network as its backbone back to the WiFi router/cable modem, there is no degradation of the signal. I use the same SSID so transitioning from the WiFi router to the MoCA WiFi Extender is seamless. I placed it in my upstairs office so we now have a very strong WiFi signal in the upstairs.

This sounds great. Now if only I could have someone install it all for me...

Chronos
Name: Jim

Post by Chronos » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:25 am

matt.wu wrote:
Chronos wrote:I don't know if this helps...

This sounds great. Now if only I could have someone install it all for me...
I'm your huckleberry

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:06 pm

matt.wu wrote:
deepcdvr wrote:My house is almost 4000 square feet - and the router is in an upstairs bedroom in one corner of the house. I put in two cheap boosters downstairs and they work great for me. YMMV ;)
You're never around to use your internet!
You have no idea how right you are :crybaby:
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

andrema

Post by andrema » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:27 am

Okay...I installed the recommended Asus router today...I have coverage everywhere now. I can dump and post whenever I want!