any one upgrade to windows 10

Get your nerd on.
River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

any one upgrade to windows 10

Post by River Rat » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:12 pm

Just upgraded to windows 10 since it was free. Never liked the older version plus it was not working to great lately. It's a little old school so far so good. The maintenance is different no defrag and a few other things. It did take a long time to down load.

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Re: any one upgrade to windows 10

Post by marchone » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Windows is great ...

... when it works.
only accurate watches are interesting

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:47 pm

Recommended reading:
"Windows 10: Here are the privacy issues you should know about"
http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

Wayne: I can say the same about other OSs
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

marchone
Capt. Obvious
Name: Wayne

Post by marchone » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:49 pm

This is true.

Technology is great; when it works.
only accurate watches are interesting

pacifichrono
Name: Tom

Post by pacifichrono » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:21 pm

Windows 10 gets a nice review from CNET.com, a well-respected authority:

http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-windows-10/
Regards from Sunny San Diego.............Tom

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:18 pm

wait until the first service pack comes out, then upgrade. i have the beta version and I really like it.

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:11 pm

toxicavenger wrote:wait until the first service pack comes out, then upgrade. i have the beta version and I really like it.
Read the privacy link I posted... You're agreeing to let Microsoft access ALL your data if they feel it necessary. Your LOCAL data.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:33 pm

jeckyll wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:wait until the first service pack comes out, then upgrade. i have the beta version and I really like it.
Read the privacy link I posted... You're agreeing to let Microsoft access ALL your data if they feel it necessary. Your LOCAL data.
unfortunately this has been going on for a while with most companies so they can use it as a get out of jail free card if the govern ever comes a knocking. Yosemite has been doing it since 2014. it isn't just microsoft at all. :crybaby:

Marjak
Name: Mart

Post by Marjak » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:35 pm

I am no expert, but what can you really do about the privacy issue. Will changing some settings really prevent MS (or others like Apple for that matter) from accessing your data? I don't know. I guess not doing anything illegal is key here to stay out of trouble.
- Mart -

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:40 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
jeckyll wrote:
unfortunately this has been going on for a while with most companies so they can use it as a get out of jail free card if the govern ever comes a knocking. Yosemite has been doing it since 2014. it isn't just microsoft at all. :crybaby:
Big difference between cloud access and local.

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:48 pm

Marjak wrote:I am no expert, but what can you really do about the privacy issue. Will changing some settings really prevent MS (or others like Apple for that matter) from accessing your data? I don't know. I guess not doing anything illegal is key here to stay out of trouble.
https://www.grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm

toxicavenger
President Tranny

Post by toxicavenger » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:48 pm

jeckyll wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:
jeckyll wrote:
Big difference between cloud access and local.
your right, but more things are coming down the pipe it seems :banghead:

Marjak

Post by Marjak » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:58 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Marjak wrote:I am no expert, but what can you really do about the privacy issue. Will changing some settings really prevent MS (or others like Apple for that matter) from accessing your data? I don't know. I guess not doing anything illegal is key here to stay out of trouble.
Very interesting info, thanks!
- Mart -

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:31 pm

toxicavenger wrote:
Spoken like someone who's given up.

Educate yourself.

Marjak

Post by Marjak » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:08 pm

jeckyll wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Educate yourself.
Actually, quite the opposite. I have never given it much thought as I never really cared nor worried about it. Admittedly, would I be in the US or Europe I probably would have been more focused about all this, but here in Indo where I will most likely stay forever I feel like nobody gives a shit what I do and how I think.. having said this, educating myself is always a good thing and I will definitely look into this matter.
- Mart -

lilhoody
Black Darin
Name: BD

Post by lilhoody » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:03 am

jeckyll wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Educate yourself.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

Henryj
Bubblehead
Name: Old guy

Post by Henryj » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:02 am

lilhoody wrote:
jeckyll wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Educate yourself.
Egg-zactly. I gave up most claims to privacy the day I told Uncle Sam "I wanna be on a nukular summarine. "
If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:21 am

One thing I notice is they shit canned Internet explorer and got a new browser called edge. One thing about edge no advertising I used Internet Explorer with yahoo and yahoo tracked every thing you do because ads would pop up for stuff I search for like camping gear. They still have Internet Explorer as secondary will use it for email with yahoo. But the new edge search engine I am starting to like. One thing when you transfer your bookmarks over every thing is in alphabetical order so if the web page starts with a T like the dive watch connection it's in the T's.

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:51 am

lilhoody wrote:
jeckyll wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Educate yourself.
There you go. :)

I don't think the erosion of your right to privacy can be fixed with a tin hat however :lol:

ericf4
(TBD) Penis

Post by ericf4 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:53 am

I'm looking fwd to using 10. It has not downloaded to either of my PC tablets yet. I did 'register" to receive it, but have not yet been prompted to download/install it.
Visit my Music/Drumming Channel at:

https://youtube.com/ericfeuer

lilhoody
Black Darin

Post by lilhoody » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:04 am

jeckyll wrote:
lilhoody wrote:
jeckyll wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Educate yourself.

I don't think the erosion of your right to privacy can be fixed with a tin hat however :lol:
If this concerns you stop using the internet, phone and your postal service. Avoid ordering food for delivery from many chain restaurants, who report (or sell) your address and phone number. I suggest not using credit or debit cards as well. None of these transactions or luxuries are a "right" in the States; probably not a "right" in Canada either.

Cash is king you your world Bjorn Kaczynski.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte

jeckyll

Post by jeckyll » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:28 am

lilhoody wrote:
jeckyll wrote:
lilhoody wrote:
jeckyll wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Educate yourself.

If this concerns you stop using the internet, phone and your postal service. Avoid ordering food for delivery from many chain restaurants, who report (or sell) your address and phone number. I suggest not using credit or debit cards as well. None of these transactions or luxuries are a "right" in the States; probably not a "right" in Canada either.

Lol what a load of crap. It's not all or nothing. That's not even a decent strawman argument.

ChuckW
Name: Chuck

Post by ChuckW » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:26 am

Downloaded it this morning, but it took so long, I haven't had a chance to explore it very much. Perhaps because my desktop PC is an older Windows 7 version, it took forever to process, over three hours, partly due to one failed download. I figured it was worth a shot since this will probably be the last Windows device I own. My initial impression is that it runs faster and smoother. We'll see how long that lasts.
No, it's not Tourettes.

River Rat
DWC Tribal Council

Post by River Rat » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:42 am

ChuckW wrote:Downloaded it this morning, but it took so long, I haven't had a chance to explore it very much. Perhaps because my desktop PC is an older Windows 7 version, it took forever to process, over three hours, partly due to one failed download. I figured it was worth a shot since this will probably be the last Windows device I own. My initial impression is that it runs faster and smoother. We'll see how long that lasts.
Took about three hours for me to I don't think it matters what version 7 you have. And it failed on the first try used the error code to fix it then it down loaded no problem but three hours later.

lilhoody
Black Darin

Post by lilhoody » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:07 pm

jeckyll wrote:
lilhoody wrote:
jeckyll wrote:
lilhoody wrote:
jeckyll wrote:
toxicavenger wrote:

Educate yourself.

Lol what a load of crap. It's not all or nothing. That's not even a decent strawman argument.
Sorry to disappoint, the truth doesn't constitute "straw man". You and those who share your beliefs have choices, if you choose to use technology you give up privacy.
"Men are ruled by toys"
Napoleon Bonaparte