Think I Need A Router

Get your nerd on.
dshap
Favorite shirt size: Schmedium.
Name: David

Think I Need A Router

Post by dshap » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:42 am

Help me geeks :grin:

The WiFi seems pretty slow in my house (especially the AppleTV at night curiously) so I think I need a new router. The Verizon Fios router doesn't have Wifi-N, so I think getting a new one with N will speed things up. The biggest problem is sometimes the AppleTV doesn't buffer well, and it barely works when I'm downloading stuff, so I think I need more bandwidth.

Any suggestions for a router? These three are well reviewed on Amazon, are they any good?

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-E1200-Links ... 673&sr=8-9
http://www.amazon.com/E2500-Advanced-Si ... 73&sr=8-10
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DIR-655-Ex ... 673&sr=8-4
-David

zepp21
Name: Alex

Re: Think I Need A Router

Post by zepp21 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:03 am

Just got the first one. E1200. Works fine and I noticed faster downloads and netflix streams faster. Plus, it was a breeze to set up, even on my macbook.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Post by ezcheese » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:40 am

I have lived in an Apple Airport world now for years. Haven't tried what the other boys put out. My mom has the AT&T 2wire dsl setup and it's slow as balls.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dshap

Post by dshap » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:44 am

ezcheese wrote:I have lived in an Apple Airport world now for years. Haven't tried what the other boys put out. My mom has the AT&T 2wire dsl setup and it's slow as balls.

What are the benefits of an Airport? We're all on Mac, so would an Airport be better than a Cisco router?
-David

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:58 am

Airport would do the job just fine. I even used an airport express for a while and it handled two laptops, a printer and a set top box just fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

randyswagon
Name: Heywood Jablome

Post by randyswagon » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:22 pm

Porter Cable. Dual with the plunge base. :fro:

bigolac
Name: Adam

Post by bigolac » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:21 pm

I've been using a D-Link DIR-625 for the past two years with zero problems. Has pretty good signal coverage in my brick house as well. My next upgrade will most likely be another D-Link.

Oh, wait - you mean the other router - I've got a Bosch 1614 variable speed. ;)

- Adam

Isthmus
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Gabe

Post by Isthmus » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:32 am

dshap wrote:Help me geeks :grin:

The WiFi seems pretty slow in my house (especially the AppleTV at night curiously) so I think I need a new router. The Verizon Fios router doesn't have Wifi-N, so I think getting a new one with N will speed things up. The biggest problem is sometimes the AppleTV doesn't buffer well, and it barely works when I'm downloading stuff, so I think I need more bandwidth.

Any suggestions for a router? These three are well reviewed on Amazon, are they any good?

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-E1200-Links ... 673&sr=8-9
http://www.amazon.com/E2500-Advanced-Si ... 73&sr=8-10
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DIR-655-Ex ... 673&sr=8-4
I use a Cisco Linksys ES3000 and highly recommended. The thing has 6 internal antennas, supports eSata connectivity and network drives. In theory you can get full GB Ethernet connectivity.

As for the speed of your router. a wireless N router together with a wireless N card on your computer will in theory give you better performance. however internet transfer rates are typically at around 54mps max (and usually much lower, so you really are not going to see much of that performance. What you really want the high bandwidth for is for transferring large files over your home network, such as when streaming films and movies or sending large files to peripherals or playing online games on wirless devices. If all you are doing is putzing around on the internet and sending e-mails, then you should not notice any difference between a wireless g and a wireless N router. Do keep in mid that processor speed and amount of RAM will also affect transfer rates over your network. If I were you I would hook up the main rig (the one that uses the largest share of bandwidth) directly to an Ethernet line and run everything else wirelessly.

R@cerx

Post by R@cerx » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:45 am

If everything in the house can handle N, then get the Cisco. About a year ago I switched out my Linksys G for an N and noticed a big improvement. Go to Walmart and get one. You'll save money, be happier and also get to see some of those funny folks that frequent there.

I recommend this one - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cisco-Expert- ... r/14066653

fastward
Fast Eddie

Post by fastward » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:54 am

I switched out my old router for a Cisco Linksys E1000 about a year ago. Much faster and a more consistent signal.
N is the way to go.

dshap

Post by dshap » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:00 am

Think SpeedBoost or Simultaneous Dual-band 2.4 + 5 GHz is important?
-David

R@cerx

Post by R@cerx » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:09 pm

no, just get the e1000 and smile afterward.

el presidente
Name: Roar

Post by el presidente » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:15 pm

fastward wrote:I switched out my old router for a Cisco Linksys E1000 about a year ago. Much faster and a more consistent signal.
N is the way to go.
The Serion 3400 is a much better system..just saying :thumbsup:
Pikachu is a virgin!

R@cerx

Post by R@cerx » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:17 pm

el presidente wrote:
fastward wrote:I switched out my old router for a Cisco Linksys E1000 about a year ago. Much faster and a more consistent signal.
N is the way to go.
...says the norwegian IP expert. :excited:

el presidente

Post by el presidente » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:19 pm

R@cerx wrote:
el presidente wrote:
N is the way to go.
...says the norwegian IP expert. :excited:
We are talking router`s here David..childs play :raised:
Pikachu is a virgin!

el presidente

Post by el presidente » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:26 pm

..or you could just go for the awesome Asus RT-N56U :headbang:
Pikachu is a virgin!

R@cerx

Post by R@cerx » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:28 pm

... or go rouge and get the Porter Cable 891 2 1/4 Peak HP GripVac Router.

el presidente

Post by el presidente » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:30 pm

R@cerx wrote:... or go rouge and get the Porter Cable 891 2 1/4 Peak HP GripVac Router.
Well..good luck with that :lol:
Pikachu is a virgin!

R@cerx

Post by R@cerx » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:35 pm

...depends on what you want, through put or horsepower.

vbuskirk
Thread Jacker Extraordinaire
Name: Chris

Post by vbuskirk » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:59 am

Are you sure that the problem is on the WiFi side of the house? Who is your cable provider? Not the dreaded Comcast, I hope.
Chris

dshap

Post by dshap » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:06 am

vbuskirk wrote:Are you sure that the problem is on the WiFi side of the house? Who is your cable provider? Not the dreaded Comcast, I hope.

I'm sure it's a WiFi problem because the only time there is a problem is when I have a download going at 2mb/s and I'm trying to stream HD video through the AppleTV. For normal internet browsing there is not problem.

I looked up the specs of the router provided by Verizon, and it's only 802.11b/g. All the Macbooks and the iMac are new-ish, so they should run nicely on N.
-David

R@cerx

Post by R@cerx » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:05 pm

dshap wrote:
vbuskirk wrote:Are you sure that the problem is on the WiFi side of the house? Who is your cable provider? Not the dreaded Comcast, I hope.

I'm sure it's a WiFi problem because the only time there is a problem is when I have a download going at 2mb/s and I'm trying to stream HD video through the AppleTV. For normal internet browsing there is not problem.

I looked up the specs of the router provided by Verizon, and it's only 802.11b/g. All the Macbooks and the iMac are new-ish, so they should run nicely on N.
Provided they have N wireless cards. But an N router will allow G or B connections without stepping down in speed. Go get that e1000.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Just a story about a problem Emily and I ran across. She was in Charlotte over Xmas break and when she went back home, she could no longer get online via wifi. I thought maybe the airport just failed but later did some reading and discovered that a nearby neighbor had installed a new wifi router while she was gone. when several are operating at the same frequency there is interference. You can select different channels to use with most routers, which solved Emily's problem with the new neighbor's wifi. :thumbsup:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

R@cerx

Post by R@cerx » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:13 pm

ezcheese wrote:Just a story about a problem Emily and I ran across. She was in Charlotte over Xmas break and when she went back home, she could no longer get online via wifi. I thought maybe the airport just failed but later did some reading and discovered that a nearby neighbor had installed a new wifi router while she was gone. when several are operating at the same frequency there is interference. You can select different channels to use with most routers, which solved Emily's problem with the new neighbor's wifi. :thumbsup:
Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the most commonly used, with 11 usually being the default out of the box channel set on most routers/access points. Switching to 6 is better and selecting something else is always a good choice to keep from getting interference from another nearby.

Many N routers will run at 5 ghz, which will also recude interference.

dshap

Post by dshap » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:34 pm

R@cerx wrote:
ezcheese wrote:Just a story about a problem Emily and I ran across. She was in Charlotte over Xmas break and when she went back home, she could no longer get online via wifi. I thought maybe the airport just failed but later did some reading and discovered that a nearby neighbor had installed a new wifi router while she was gone. when several are operating at the same frequency there is interference. You can select different channels to use with most routers, which solved Emily's problem with the new neighbor's wifi. :thumbsup:
Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the most commonly used, with 11 usually being the default out of the box channel set on most routers/access points. Switching to 6 is better and selecting something else is always a good choice to keep from getting interference from another nearby.

Many N routers will run at 5 ghz, which will also recude interference.

I've run into the channel issue in the past.

The more expensive Ciscos run at 5 ghz, but not the e1000 or e1200 (they cost the same on Amazon).
-David