Think I Need A Router

Get your nerd on.
R@cerx
Name: David

Re: Think I Need A Router

Post by R@cerx » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:55 pm

dshap wrote:
R@cerx wrote:
ezcheese wrote:Just a story about a problem Emily and I ran across. She was in Charlotte over Xmas break and when she went back home, she could no longer get online via wifi. I thought maybe the airport just failed but later did some reading and discovered that a nearby neighbor had installed a new wifi router while she was gone. when several are operating at the same frequency there is interference. You can select different channels to use with most routers, which solved Emily's problem with the new neighbor's wifi. :thumbsup:
Channels 1, 6 and 11 are the most commonly used, with 11 usually being the default out of the box channel set on most routers/access points. Switching to 6 is better and selecting something else is always a good choice to keep from getting interference from another nearby.

Many N routers will run at 5 ghz, which will also recude interference.
I've run into the channel issue in the past.

The more expensive Ciscos run at 5 ghz, but not the e1000 or e1200 (they cost the same on Amazon).
I'm running plain old 2.4 ghz N and haven't had any issues. I say give the e1000 a whirl, it's what i'm running. Get it from Walmart, if you don't like it; return it.