Anyone on Verizon Thinking of Getting a Smartphone Soon.....

Get your nerd on.
ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur
Name: Derek

Anyone on Verizon Thinking of Getting a Smartphone Soon.....

Post by ezcheese » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:55 am

You might think about doing it within the next week or so. Verizon is about to change its data plans to a tiered system. Recent buzz is that those under current unlimited data contracts will be grandfathered in and be able to retain the service at current prices.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/20/veri ... ing-at-30/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/21/veri ... customers/
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Isthmus
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Gabe

Re: Anyone on Verizon Thinking of Getting a Smartphone Soon.

Post by Isthmus » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:33 am

It is worth noting that unlimited plans only apply to 3g service. the LTE service has always been tiered. If you have an existing 3g unlimited plan, you can keep it and get a new phone without having to renew it. however, your connection will remain 3G.

Seth
Guy who shoots guns

Post by Seth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:49 am

I've been with Verizon since 1993 when they were GTE wireless. They ALWAYS grandfather. If for some reason they don't, I'm taking my ball and playing elsewhere.

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:10 am

Isthmus wrote:It is worth noting that unlimited plans only apply to 3g service. the LTE service has always been tiered. If you have an existing 3g unlimited plan, you can keep it and get a new phone without having to renew it. however, your connection will remain 3G.
So if we want to be grandfathered into LTE service, we need to buy a new phone before 7/7?
:htfu:

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:10 am

Pretty sure my even worrying about this is moot, though. I bet I use like 0.25 GB/mo.
:htfu:

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Isthmus wrote:It is worth noting that unlimited plans only apply to 3g service. the LTE service has always been tiered. If you have an existing 3g unlimited plan, you can keep it and get a new phone without having to renew it. however, your connection will remain 3G.
Gabe, I don't think that's right. I just got the Droid Charge, which is 4G LTE and the 4G service is included in the pricing of my unlimited data package for $30 a month.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CGSshorty
Admin

Post by CGSshorty » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:42 pm

Same here, I have unlimited on my Thunderbolt.
"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."
David St. Hubbins

Isthmus
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Gabe

Post by Isthmus » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:47 am

ezcheese wrote:
Gabe, I don't think that's right. I just got the Droid Charge, which is 4G LTE and the 4G service is included in the pricing of my unlimited data package for $30 a month.
I could be wrong, but read the fine print of your "unlimited" service. I could have sworn that in verizon speak, when they rolled out LTE that it was metered from the start and they reserved the right to throttle you down (to 3g) if you consumed more than a certain amount of bandwidth in a given period of time. 3G on the other hand they never throttled, so if you have one of those plans, so long as you keep paying, they can't force you to upgrade. your new LTE phone will also work on 3g.

ezcheese
Cheese Connoisseur

Post by ezcheese » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:31 am

Yeah 4g service doesn't roll out here in Greensboro until July 21. I have been surfing the 3g network here. But when I was in Charlotte last weekend I was on the 4g network. The service switches seamlessly between 3 & 4g. I can see them "throttling" people who burn through movies and other data intensive media but as far as my service plan indicates, they are at least currently treating 3 & 4 g service the same.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
¯\_(ツ)_/¯