Anyone here got a Protrek?

Discussion of G-Shocks and related digital watches.
GGD

Anyone here got a Protrek?

Post by GGD » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:08 pm

Hey boys -

so I've recently started checking out the Casio Protrek models..... my Boss has an old beaten up PVD / Ti model & I really like the look of it :think:

I'm also a real "gadget freak" when it comes to watches, the more complications the better in my opinion so I think they're pretty well stacked in that department.
Any thoughts, expertise would be much appreciated :cheers:

Zidane
Stevie's Nick
Name: Nick

Re: Anyone here got a Protrek?

Post by Zidane » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:21 pm

I had an older one... Prg-70L I think? Anyway....it's still going strong after 4 years. I ended up giving it to my Dad during our last hiking trip. It's a great watch. Tall....but I think the new ones are a bit slimmer.

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:22 pm

I think they use the Pathfinder name in the US. This is a negative display that was exclusive on Amazon for a while. Lightweight and comfy. Has your standard ABC functions plus stopwatch and countdown. I will have to check about a second timezone.

Solar Atomic, so always juiced and right on time. What's not to like.

Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Just walked outside and snapped a crappy iPhone pic of my other Pathfinder/protek.

This is the PRG 70YT. Titanium case and bracelet. If this was also Atomic, it would be the perfect Casio IMHO.

A little more weight than the one above, but still light, it only has a 50m WR, but I have been snorkeling with it many times and no issues. It actually runs about +15 per month, which is by far the worst of any quartz I have, bit I don't care. Love this thing.

It's got a black "ion plating"' which is actually worn pretty good on the clasp, but the rest of the watch looks great. :thumbsup:

Sorry for the bad pic. If I think about it, I will try and take something decent tomorrow.
Steven

matt.wu
Wu
Name: m@

Post by matt.wu » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:40 pm

I got a PAW1500T-7V. Liked it enough to buy another after selling it initially. Doesn't get a lot of wrist time at all, but I like gadgety watches too, and this one has it all. Plus, it's my solar/atomic, and we all know everyone's got to have at least one. :mrgreen:
:htfu:

GGD

Post by GGD » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I'm really liking the look of them.... will have to try one on and see how they wear, I'm assuming it will be similar to my old Frogman which was no problems.

What's the strap set up? Are there adaptors so you can wear them on a zulu strap or are you committed to the rubber / metal bracelet that it comes on?

Keep em coming - any input is appreciated.

:cheers:

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:58 pm

No idea about adapter options. The newer one (top) would feel a little lighter and maybe not quite as robust as a big G or froggie, but unless you are doing something crazy with it, there should be no worries.

I actually use the thermometer (off wrist) and barometer functions quite a bit. I've used the compass when boating in the keys also. Good to have ready to toss into or strap on the backpack when needed.
Steven

KWIATEK
Crabmeister AKA Domslayer
Name: Darin is an Asshole

Post by KWIATEK » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:19 pm

GGD wrote: I'm assuming it will be similar to my old Frogman which was no problems.
Not my experience. They wear completely different. The Protreks are sleeker--more rounded and flat. They come in different sizes depending on the model, but the ones I have (1500's) are bigger than the Frog.

Check into Suunto and Marathon also. The three do not work the same and have differing levels of accuracy.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:26 pm

2000 is sweet... I have the Ti version....

PAG240 is the new model.....not atomic, but a very nice product..... and you can order strap adapters to put it on a nato/zulu
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

bigolac
Name: Adam

Post by bigolac » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:49 pm

I've had a paw1300 for quite a while now, and I prefer it to the 1500. Just like the display better. I think the 1500 has the addition of tide and moon phase. I think the newer paw2000 is thinner - haven't had a chance to look at one in the flesh yet.

Wears nice and light on the wrist, and you can't beat the tech with a stick.

- Adam

rockmastermike
Feedback Virtuoso
Name: WDE

Post by rockmastermike » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:56 pm

I dig the old school PAG-40.....can find them for reasonable and easy to read and have a tacti-cool look to them.

Brian D
DWC Tribal Council
Name: Really?

Post by Brian D » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:46 pm

Got an old PRG-50.
The Way of the Warrior is
To Live to Die

Brian D.

Tallguy
Name: Steve-0-reeno

Post by Tallguy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:12 am

Had a couple of 1300's....cool fact about this model; if you get one of the versions that has the cloth/vinyl straps, you can cut them off and the left over piece will fit a zulu perfectly...22mm I think :scratch:

They had both solar only and solar atomic versions of the 1300 (PAW, not sure what the PRG equivalent # is)...they are thin, light, and work great!

Warning though, D, wear one of these for a couple of days and when you put something like the AD-TAC back on you will feel like you are wearing a brick :shock: :o (kind of how I felt when I took off my G after a couple of days to first strap on the RESCO!!)

1300 is 100m wr I think, whereas the 1500 went up to 200m

FYI, there is an ABC watch forum on WUS that has some good info. :popcorn:

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:03 pm

I have a PAW-1300 (Solar Atomic). Wears nice, seems tough enough, not much to complain about.

Not sure how accurate the compass is ... but then I wouldn't use a watch for that anyway ;) The nice thing about the 1300 is that it's fairly thin compared to some of the other 'behemoths'. Few guys at work have other models it's nice to be able to compare. I prefer the slimmer design.
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm

I had a PRG-80T model. Titanium so it was really light even on the bracelet. Solar/non-atomic but I really liked the other features: altimeter, thermometer, barometer. Nice watch. If it had been atomic, I might not have sold it. Here's a few pics with some comparison shots.

You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

GGD

Post by GGD » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:46 am

Thanks guys - that's awesome! Kind of confusing with all the different model no's etc.

Brian - love that one of yours, that looks killer & I LOVE the day/date/month display.... very cool!

Rick-Holland

Post by Rick-Holland » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:47 am

protrek philippe .... i know them.
very expensive watches :roll:

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:56 am

Rick-Holland wrote:protrek philippe .... i know them.

:scratch: uhhhh, what?
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Rick-Holland

Post by Rick-Holland » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:02 am

BSears wrote:
Rick-Holland wrote:protrek philippe .... i know them.

:scratch: uhhhh, what?
sorry ;-)

SonnyD

Post by SonnyD » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:04 pm

Yep, I've had about 5 or 6 different models of the Pathfinder too. Great watches. As the owner of about half a dozen
SUUNTO's, I'll say that the Pathfinder sensors don't seem nearly as accurate as the SUUNTO's. This 1300 is the last
Pathfinder I purchased.
Regards Sonny