New metal Casio G-Shock 5000s

Discussion of G-Shocks and related digital watches.
AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

New metal Casio G-Shock 5000s

Post by AtomicTom » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:50 am

Have all of you guys checked out the new metal G-Shock Series 5000s already?

There is the full metal GMW-B 5000 D-1, along with GMW-B 5000 TFG-9 in an IP gold
finish. With other details including a 49.3 x 43.2 x 13mm stainless steel, and impact
resistant resin case, stainless steel case-back, pushers, and bracelet, 200m WR, 1/100th
second chronograph, daily alarms, multi-band 6 automatic reference time used for
atomic timekeeping, perpetual calendar, Bluetooth 4.1, and more. It's all powered
by a Tough Solar quartz which can last up to 22 months on a charge also.

Just a few pictures...

A Blog To Watch's link also guys...

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/casio-g-sh ... 00-series/

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Re: New metal Casio G-Shock 5000s

Post by deepcdvr » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:27 am

I love G's and the silver one is cool, imo. Thanks for the heads up, Tom!
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 am

I dig the concept, but the clasp will likely still suck.

toxicavenger
President Tranny
Name: HeadDIK

Post by toxicavenger » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:17 pm

I dig it.

manitoujoe
Name: Mark

Post by manitoujoe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:51 pm

Yeah I dig it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some people just have a way with words, and other people … oh … not have way.

Steve Martin

Captdave
Name: Dave

Post by Captdave » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:55 pm

Me too

Live fast, die young, and leave a good looking corpse.

apnk
Supergluing Miscreant
Name: Juan

Post by apnk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:31 pm

That's pretty cool, especially if they make a rubber strap for it too!

AtomicTom
Nuclear Personality!!!!
Name: Tom

Post by AtomicTom » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:20 am

Oh man, so cool that everyone is liking these !!! :headbang:

I'm with you too. ..Am double digging them guys !! :grin: :grin:

Other than the price they seem like they hit on all cylinders, and almost have a
vintage feel to them I guess. Thought G-Shock fans would get a kick out of them.
Plus, who knows, maybe Casio will do this with even more with their watches in
the future.

Thanks once again everybody !

Panerai7
Name: Art

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 am

I think Casio is going to have to do something different. This type of watch plastic or not is directly competing with smart watches. Casio has already started on this path but I hope it's not too late. Once smart watches dial in water resistance Gshock is in trouble. Just my opinion, I could be wrong, but if I'm wearing some CBP watch it'd better show me if someone called, SMS, steps I took, HR monitor and a 1000 different faces to suit my mood. Just having a couple of alarms, local time in 26 cities and beep-beep sounds is so 20th century and not in a good sense of the term

I have a couple of Gshocks but I tend to grab Samsung Gear when I feel like wearing something digital

hoppyjr
HJ
Name: Hoppy

Post by hoppyjr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:12 am

^ I tend to agree.

I like the toughness, legibility, and water resistance of the Casios - but the big feature IMO is the solar charging.

If an Apple Watch would last a week without charging, I’d own one.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:55 am

And I doubt a “smart watch” could withstand half the abuse a G would handle easily.
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:01 pm

They'll dial in the toughness and battery life, it's just a matter of time

Ryeguy
Name: Chris

Post by Ryeguy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:12 pm

If military is a key customer base for these, they might still have a market even if “smart” watches become more robust.

Here at JBPHH, any watch or device that transmits anything is not allowed.

Torrid
Name: Heath

Post by Torrid » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:31 pm

I like that one quite a bit.

justsellbrgs
Name: John

Post by justsellbrgs » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:58 pm

$500ish I think
"Go forth, my progeny, grab the world by the balls, squeeze hard and shake vigorously." J. Koch (aka "Swedefreak")

deepcdvr
Flipper Extraordinaire
Name: Paul

Post by deepcdvr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:34 pm

Panerai7 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 am
I think Casio is going to have to do something different. This type of watch plastic or not is directly competing with smart watches. Casio has already started on this path but I hope it's not too late. Once smart watches dial in water resistance Gshock is in trouble. Just my opinion, I could be wrong, but if I'm wearing some CBP watch it'd better show me if someone called, SMS, steps I took, HR monitor and a 1000 different faces to suit my mood. Just having a couple of alarms, local time in 26 cities and beep-beep sounds is so 20th century and not in a good sense of the term

I have a couple of Gshocks but I tend to grab Samsung Gear when I feel like wearing something digital
Yeah I would agree with you if I didn’t work in a place where Gshocks rule. These guys are all issued pretty tough smart watches as well, but they (especially the young dudes) gravitate back to basic, ugly, abuse-taking G’s. Most of these guys just want the time/date and maybe a compass.

I also find there is a push these days for retro in just about everything - hell, there are vinyl stores popping up everywhere, retro cell phones, etc.. I think Gshock has something here. And for a lot of us military types, smart watches are being restricted for use in a lot of areas forward and in most buildings globally.
VR/
Paul

SI VI PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Panerai7

Post by Panerai7 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:07 pm

deepcdvr wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:34 pm
Panerai7 wrote:

Yeah I would agree with you if I didn’t work in a place where Gshocks rule. These guys are all issued pretty tough smart watches as well, but they (especially the young dudes) gravitate back to basic, ugly, abuse-taking G’s. Most of these guys just want the time/date and maybe a compass.

I also find there is a push these days for retro in just about everything - hell, there are vinyl stores popping up everywhere, retro cell phones, etc.. I think Gshock has something here. And for a lot of us military types, smart watches are being restricted for use in a lot of areas forward and in most buildings globally.
Totally get it, there's time and place for a simple tough gshock. I'm just saying if they want to stay relevant with the masses who buy their watches at a local mall they need to jump on a smart watch bandwagon or they'll become a niche product and I'm sure they want to continue selling millions of watches.

BSears
The Grumpy Global Mod
Name: Mr. Dibs
Location: Big Blue Nation, Land of the Free-Home of the Brave

Post by BSears » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Sorry but no way G-shocks will ever be reduced to a “niche” product regardless of whether they jump on the smart watch bandwagon or not (and they kind of have with the yet to be released Rangeman Navi).
You give respect, you'll get respect - you just don't know your place.

Fitz
Name: John

Post by Fitz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:30 am

Really digging the silver 5600.

With regard to G-Shock’s prevalence, I don’t think their place as a fashion item/accessory can be discounted. It seems like cultures across the globe see G-Shock as an accessory. Not to mention their connection to skateboard, graffiti, hip-hop culture, etc.

I think their price point and relative simplicity lends itself well to being an accessory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rolex/ Seiko/ Marathon/ Bathys/ G-Shock

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Post by jeckyll » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:53 am

Panerai7 wrote:

Interesting, I find myself going exactly the other direction.

I don't want something on my wrist that's a distraction. I want a watch (with a date). That's it. Tough and long life are also important, I don't need something else that needs charging daily (hell, even weekly) :shrug:

:cheers:
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

mikeylacroix
Name: Mike

Post by mikeylacroix » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:59 am

I'm inImage