My first G-Shock

Discussion of G-Shocks and related digital watches.
carlodwc

My first G-Shock

Post by carlodwc » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:43 am

For the longest of time I have looked at the G-Shock line as interesting but "over there" models of watches. The reasons were that the ones I had seen were big, black and "ugly"... at least to me. In truth I still don't like much some of the models but most importantly I had some practical reason for not being interested: the LCD display was hard to read at a glance in certain light conditions, the strap normally was too short and the buckle would end up on the side of my wrist rather then in the middle (I have 8" plus wrist) and since their lug/strap assembly normally are very proprietary, I could not just change the strap to something I preferred. Also I had a bit of apprehension in getting watches that needed battery changes.

Then I found the ProTrek and some of the models were solar powered and had normal lugs so that I could pop on it my favorite Zulu strap and they actually looked great. I got two of them and love them, I wear them now more then any other watch I own. :grin:

A few days ago I was selling a watch and another WIS offered a trade, a Casio G-Shock. This Casio is part of the G-100 family I guess, it has what I guess is a negative display but also it has analog dial/hand combination which makes it more "familiar" for me to read. I decided to give it a try and I thought that I could always sell this but at least I would make another WIS happy by giving him my watch that he wanted...

Then I received this G-Shock and was positively surprised. First of all it is fairly large, just about like my other ProTrek around 47mm, which is welcome for filling my wrist properly. Then it had the Zulu adapters which consist of two plastic pieces with slots that attach to the watch lugs and that then allow a Zulu strap to be slid inside. The hands are a bit peculiar (see photos) but they are easily readable which is the most important factor for me. Even the LCD is actually pretty nicely readable if you have enough light. It is not solar but I guess it would be my only watch that will require a change of battery at one point... :mrgreen:

The hands although very legible do not have any lume, any illumination is provided by the light you get when you press one of the buttons on the side. The lume looks orange or yellowish, never seen before such a hue but it surely works and it is nice to me.

Otherwise I like the size, the light weight and the fact that it is a nice tool watch overall, it looks a bit of a Transformers watch, especially the dial, but I don't mind that. Actually I find the dial pretty interesting and pleasant. :grin:

It surely does not win a beauty contest but then it is a tool watch that is supposed to be robust and impervious to use, if there is any beauty in it, it is a rugged beauty, field and water type - yes it is 200m WR which makes it very usable in different weather conditions... I know I am day dreaming... what do I care of the weather when I am inside all day... but it is nice to think that if I wanted to, I could count on a a time piece to be as ready for adventure as I am and more... :thumbsup:

Here are some pics, sorry for the usual lint and specs of dust, fingerprints on the glass etc. But fortunately these are at home with this watch.... :shock:

jeckyll
Honorary Assistant Jr. Hall Monitor in Training
Name: Björn

Re: My first G-Shock

Post by jeckyll » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:46 am

Definitely one of the more bad-ass G-shocks, congrats!
We all have the same enemy. The enemy is the tyranny of the dull mind. - - Tom Robbins

AZpops
Name: Lance

Post by AZpops » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:22 pm

Hey Carlo Congrats on your first "G"! I like the Zulu adapters as well! ... :cheers:
Lance

AZpops
Name: Lance

Post by AZpops » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:22 pm

Hey Carlo Congrats on your first "G"! I like the Zulu adapters as well! ... :cheers:
Lance

SCM64
Global Mod/Sinn fanboy

Post by SCM64 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:31 pm

Congrats, amd welcome to the club. :cheers:
Steven

Sexually Desirable RockStar Moderator

carlodwc

Post by carlodwc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Thank you guys, I have to say that I really like the dial on this one. I have worn the watch since I got it... the Zulu adapters could look better but they work great.