Original Swiss Tropic band.

Discussion of straps and bracelets.
Spudee
Name: Brian Tate

Original Swiss Tropic band.

Post by Spudee » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:43 pm

Hi,

This is my first post and not sure exactly which forum it should go but thought I'd start here.

I've just rediscovered my Seiko 6217-8001 dive watch which I purchased during Australian Army service in Malaysia in 1967. Wore it for about 10 years but then was tempted by a new, all bells and whistles Citizen, so the 6217 went into storage. Forty years later, while going through one of my storage crates I saw the watch, pulled it out, gave it a couple of shakes and away it went, good as new. It is in terrific condition, just a few very minor scrapes and scratches. Had it serviced for the first time and it didn't need much work at all, so now it is my daily wearer.

The original Tropic rubber strap broke back when I was originally wearing it and I substituted a stainless-steel one. Wanting to get it back as close to original appearance, I purchased a new replica Tropic band and while it would fool most people, it is not exactly like the original. Perhaps I suffer from OCD or am just being pedantic but I would like to try and purchase an original Swiss Tropic band. This is a link to an article about the band. https://www.plus9time.com/blog/2017/2/4 ... opic-strap

I would really welcome any suggestions as to possible sources for an original band.

Many thanks.

TSD
Name: Tom

Re: Original Swiss Tropic band.

Post by TSD » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:12 am

Spudee wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:43 pm
This is my first post and not sure exactly which forum it should go but thought I'd start here.

I would really welcome any suggestions as to possible sources for an original band.
Welcome, Brian. Maybe take a minute to post your intro in the main forum with some pics of your watch, etc. Several of the guys here from Oz who will see it more quickly.

I know the original 19mm Swiss Tropic comes up for sale from time to time here, and that they might be worth the steep price on a vintage Seiko like yours. But take a look at the version made by Uncle Seiko. Several of us have them, and they are great alternative.
https://www.uncleseiko.com/store/p83/BR ... Sizes.html

Spudee

Post by Spudee » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:29 pm

Thank you TSD, I will post an intro as you suggested.

I agree that the replica band is nice and as I said, I do have one but I really want the real McCoy. Any suggestions as to sites I might check from time to time for an original?

Thanks.

gonzomantis
Name: Mike

Post by gonzomantis » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:13 am

Having the original would be great, but personally I would be too worried about an original having deteriorated over the years, and then failing. I would hate to hate to think of such a classic falling off my wrist to the ground.

Spudee

Post by Spudee » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:46 pm

Good point gonzo. Thanks.